I have found an Oreste Matteoni who enlisted in the USA military in 1870(see ancestry 1798 - 1914 enlistments viewed at the local library version). He was aged 30 and was a carpenter which makes him interesting to me. It gives the place in Italy he was born but I am unable to determine the place. I would be grateful if anyone else could look and given their opinion.
he deserted the following year!
Grateful for all suggestions.
Born in Ioster/Iosten ?
Re: Born in Ioster/Iosten ?
Here's a link to your image
http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/2746/1869o.jpg
I don't have a guess
Valarie
http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/2746/1869o.jpg
I don't have a guess
Valarie
Re: Born in Ioster/Iosten ?
Many thanks for your kind link which i can show to family.
With zoom is looks very much like Iosten . i would have thought that the spelling would be fairly accurate rather than a pronounciation.
With zoom is looks very much like Iosten . i would have thought that the spelling would be fairly accurate rather than a pronounciation.
Re: Born in Ioster/Iosten ?
Hi Nuthatch,
I would suggest that the place you are looking for is probably Aosta
(which would sound like Ioster to a non-Italian) a region in northern Italy.
However, this is only my opinion and I could be way off beam.
Seraphina
I would suggest that the place you are looking for is probably Aosta
(which would sound like Ioster to a non-Italian) a region in northern Italy.
However, this is only my opinion and I could be way off beam.
Seraphina
Re: Born in Ioster/Iosten ?
That is a very plausible suggestion - i will look at that many thanks Seraphina.


