I think they were asking users on surveys recently if they would like the records to be available before indexing. That might have something to do with it.Eleven wrote:Oh..I wanted to ask you this, Squigy. In one of your posts up there, you mentioned that in some emailing, they said they would be getting Caserta records soon. I didnt see any email like that, but, I delete a lot of things without reading them..lol
Have you come across anyplace on ancestry that has such a list..like, a "coming soon" area? I would love to see what they have in the works.
What they are putting out there now, has not been indexed by the volunteers. They have the original indexes (out of the books) and you can choose to search those..which give you the cert number. You then go into the drop down and choose the actual records and look for the cert number. (Actually, when I started, I skipped the indexes and went page by page). Using the indexes first, saves a lot of time. You can always go page by page, later.
These Italian records should be out there in no time. Its not like they have to wait months and months for people to index them.
Actually, ancestry WAS and is, still making volunteers index some italian towns. Those are coming on in dribs and drabs.
What I think happened is..they began with having indexes made..but it was taking too long. I volunteered for them almost 3 years ago..and they still havent finished the records for the 2 places they had back then. Like I said, someone must have clued them in..that they didnt need these typed indexes.
Anyway..if they said "soon" I would say a matter of months, certainly not years.
I can't seem to find anything else about them getting Caserta records anywhere except that one email (Ancestry Monthly, October). It was a list of all the new records available for Deluxe members, and on the side it said:
Coming Soon:
• France Phone
Directory 1907
• Caserta, Campania, Italy, Civil Registrations
So, who knows. That would really be fantastic. It is so much easier to work from home, but like I said, that isn't possible at the moment.


