CAN I GO WITH MY MOM TO THE APPOINTMENT?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
User avatar
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master
Posts: 525
Joined: 12 Sep 2010, 19:39

Re: CAN I GO WITH MY MOM TO THE APPOINTMENT?

Post by sceaminmonkey »

So many people though have warned me to never contact the consulate that's why I'm so worried
User avatar
JPMessina44
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 181
Joined: 12 Oct 2010, 01:50
Contact:

Re: CAN I GO WITH MY MOM TO THE APPOINTMENT?

Post by JPMessina44 »

It cannot hurt to call and ask permission to the consulate for this kind of thing. I would think they would rather you call and ask permission, but inconveinence them with a phone call over the alternative, not calling and bothering them, but just showing up to the appoint, unannounced.

Play it safe and call ahead. I'd rather be yelled at over the phone than in person! :) j/k but this circumstance, I'd rather be safe and call.
User avatar
ForzaItaliaPgh
Elite
Elite
Posts: 363
Joined: 02 Jul 2010, 18:35

Re: CAN I GO WITH MY MOM TO THE APPOINTMENT?

Post by ForzaItaliaPgh »

To add my two cents - I'd call. I have bothered everyone (even the Consul and a Senator in Rome) in my ongoing quest to get an appt scheduled in Philly and have found everyone to be very nice and extremely professional. Call them. What's the worst that can happen? Heck, I'd even ask if you can discuss your case at the same time, but others seem to think that's a bad idea, but IMHO with citizenship on the line, it never hurts to ask and there is no such thing as a stupid question.

Good luck either way and remember citizenship is a Right. If you ruffle a few feathers they Cannot not grant you citizenship.

Ciao e buona fortuna.
Researching BARONTINI family from Tuscany
User avatar
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master
Posts: 525
Joined: 12 Sep 2010, 19:39

Re: CAN I GO WITH MY MOM TO THE APPOINTMENT?

Post by sceaminmonkey »

Ok I'll stop being so scared and I'll call at 330. I'll post what happens
User avatar
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master
Posts: 525
Joined: 12 Sep 2010, 19:39

Re: CAN I GO WITH MY MOM TO THE APPOINTMENT?

Post by sceaminmonkey »

No one picked up :(
User avatar
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master
Posts: 525
Joined: 12 Sep 2010, 19:39

Re: CAN I GO WITH MY MOM TO THE APPOINTMENT?

Post by sceaminmonkey »

Second time no answer not even an answering machine.
User avatar
JavaisLife
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 133
Joined: 20 Aug 2010, 22:02
Location: NYC

Re: CAN I GO WITH MY MOM TO THE APPOINTMENT?

Post by JavaisLife »

Hi - sometimes it happens. You are calling them on a Friday :) Try again Monday. ...
User avatar
ForzaItaliaPgh
Elite
Elite
Posts: 363
Joined: 02 Jul 2010, 18:35

Re: CAN I GO WITH MY MOM TO THE APPOINTMENT?

Post by ForzaItaliaPgh »

I have called Philly several times and have NEVER had them pick up or call me back. I have had success with emails.

Also, again this is based on Philly, but the consulate here closes at noon, maybe that is why we are backed up on appts, but there is a chance you called after the work day was done over there.

Think about trying again on Monday. Good luck either way.
Researching BARONTINI family from Tuscany
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 1874
Joined: 04 Feb 2004, 00:00
Location: TRENTO - ITALY
Contact:

Re: CAN I GO WITH MY MOM TO THE APPOINTMENT?

Post by ricbru »

I know that many italian consulate in USA do not answer the phone because overwhelmed of any kind of burocratic process to speed up
Riccardo
User avatar
JavaisLife
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 133
Joined: 20 Aug 2010, 22:02
Location: NYC

Re: CAN I GO WITH MY MOM TO THE APPOINTMENT?

Post by JavaisLife »

As far as the NYC consulate is concerned, I have gotten them on the phone (both main line and the above direct number, about 10 + times... But only once on a Friday). Ive gotten Boston on the phone, every time and always received a call back. Just call back on Monday, you'll get through. Don't be afraid to call twice.

-Marie
User avatar
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master
Posts: 525
Joined: 12 Sep 2010, 19:39

Re: CAN I GO WITH MY MOM TO THE APPOINTMENT?

Post by sceaminmonkey »

Well I will def call back on monday
User avatar
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master
Posts: 525
Joined: 12 Sep 2010, 19:39

Re: CAN I GO WITH MY MOM TO THE APPOINTMENT?

Post by sceaminmonkey »

And why call so many consulates? Do you think it's worth it for me to email them
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 1874
Joined: 04 Feb 2004, 00:00
Location: TRENTO - ITALY
Contact:

Re: CAN I GO WITH MY MOM TO THE APPOINTMENT?

Post by ricbru »

every single consulate serves a certain area, that is why there are so many, and USA is a big country
Riccardo
User avatar
JavaisLife
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 133
Joined: 20 Aug 2010, 22:02
Location: NYC

Re: CAN I GO WITH MY MOM TO THE APPOINTMENT?

Post by JavaisLife »

At the time. I thought I was moving to Boston.... Otherwise, you would only call the consulate where you reside.
jennabet
Master
Master
Posts: 1396
Joined: 14 Jul 2010, 20:28
Location: Ancestral Homeland - Abruzzo Italy

Re: CAN I GO WITH MY MOM TO THE APPOINTMENT?

Post by jennabet »

In Italy, the country where Mothers and family mean EVERYTHING, and I do mean EVERYTHING, relatives accompany other relatives EVERYWHERE and I do mean EVERYWHERE. In fact, there are so many SONS accompanying their mothers EVERYWHERE that she doesn't even need a husband.

Therefore it's just a ridiculous asseertion that a SON would have to ask permission to accompany his mother to her appointment at the Consulate.

GO WITH YOUR MOTHER! If you think you're an Italian, ACT LIKE ONE! Just my two cents.
Post Reply