In 1938 my Grandfather natualized in the USA, his son was born in 1935 in the USA. Does this mean I cannot claim Italian citizenship if my Dad was a minor when his father naturalized?
One further peice of information, my father served in the US Marines during Korea, but he never renouced his Italian citizenship. I'm not sure about his father back in 1938
Can anyone help?
Andrew
Can I claim Italian Citizenship...IF
- JPMessina44
- Veteran

- Posts: 181
- Joined: 12 Oct 2010, 01:50
- Contact:
Re: Can I claim Italian Citizenship...IF
Your grandfather naturalized AFTER the birth of your father, therefore passed down his citizenship before renouncing. You would be eligible in this case.
Your father's father (your grandfather), and forgive me if I am reading this incorrectly, but this is the same question as your first one essentially?
Your first point shows that your grandfather DID renounce his Italian citizenship (by becoming a US citizen in 1938), but it a mute point being that he already passed to your father before doing so.
As for your father, the application for the consulate will ask you if your father renounced Italian citizenship. If this is no, then you are eligible.
* If your father renounced his right to Italian citizenship formally via the Italian consulate, you are NOT eligible. I highly doubt this occured, or else you probably would have given us this fact in your first post.
(as an example, similiar to your, just different generations - My great grandfather became a US citizen in 1931, my grandfather was born in 1927 (4 years before my ggpa renouncing italian and naturalizing)....both my grandfather and father DID NOT renounce their right to italian citizenship, therefore I am eligible for citizenship.)
Hope this helps.
Your father's father (your grandfather), and forgive me if I am reading this incorrectly, but this is the same question as your first one essentially?
Your first point shows that your grandfather DID renounce his Italian citizenship (by becoming a US citizen in 1938), but it a mute point being that he already passed to your father before doing so.
As for your father, the application for the consulate will ask you if your father renounced Italian citizenship. If this is no, then you are eligible.
* If your father renounced his right to Italian citizenship formally via the Italian consulate, you are NOT eligible. I highly doubt this occured, or else you probably would have given us this fact in your first post.
(as an example, similiar to your, just different generations - My great grandfather became a US citizen in 1931, my grandfather was born in 1927 (4 years before my ggpa renouncing italian and naturalizing)....both my grandfather and father DID NOT renounce their right to italian citizenship, therefore I am eligible for citizenship.)
Hope this helps.
- adebeaulac
- Newbie

- Posts: 2
- Joined: 06 Dec 2010, 19:54
Re: Can I claim Italian Citizenship...IF
Thanks JPMessina44 that's pretty much what I thought. As you said it is highly unlikely that he would have had to renounce his Italian citizenship (although he never applied for an italian passport) since he was born in the USA they would never have ask this of him.
Do you know any good immigrataion attorneys to start the ball rolling? I'm in the UK, but I'm happy to use a US or Italian attorney.
Do you know any good immigrataion attorneys to start the ball rolling? I'm in the UK, but I'm happy to use a US or Italian attorney.
- JPMessina44
- Veteran

- Posts: 181
- Joined: 12 Oct 2010, 01:50
- Contact:
Re: Can I claim Italian Citizenship...IF
Thats correct, I think you are alright (at least from what was discussed here)...
I am in no way, affiliated, with any of these firms, expressly or implied. I live in Manhattan and see alot of ADs in paper, billboards, and word of mouth.
Anyway: again, I have NEVER used or worked with these firms. I have NO knowledge of how good they are, do not know pricing. Using any of their services are at at your discretion...
1. Berd and Klauss, PLLC
2. Ruchi and Thakar LLP
3. Bretz and Coven LLP
4. Teplen and Associates PLLC
5. Rothbell Law Firm
Anyway, good starting point. Good luck.
I am in no way, affiliated, with any of these firms, expressly or implied. I live in Manhattan and see alot of ADs in paper, billboards, and word of mouth.
Anyway: again, I have NEVER used or worked with these firms. I have NO knowledge of how good they are, do not know pricing. Using any of their services are at at your discretion...
1. Berd and Klauss, PLLC
2. Ruchi and Thakar LLP
3. Bretz and Coven LLP
4. Teplen and Associates PLLC
5. Rothbell Law Firm
Anyway, good starting point. Good luck.
Re: Can I claim Italian Citizenship...IF
Andrew,
Your case seems very straightforward, requiring only that you present the relevant paperwork (birth, marrirage, death certificates and proof of non-naturalization) to your local Italian consulate.
Is there a reason why you think you require a lawyer? You can likely find all of the information you need on this message board or on other websites. Moreover, I and many other people with experience stand ready to weigh-in and answer any questions you may have.
Your case seems very straightforward, requiring only that you present the relevant paperwork (birth, marrirage, death certificates and proof of non-naturalization) to your local Italian consulate.
Is there a reason why you think you require a lawyer? You can likely find all of the information you need on this message board or on other websites. Moreover, I and many other people with experience stand ready to weigh-in and answer any questions you may have.
