Hello all - I am trying to find out where to locate a record based on a reference to Documentation number from a Jan 26, 1944 border crossing at Sault Ste. Marie Michigan for my grandfather (Pietro Mottola). Teh documentation reference number is hand-written as B.C.C. #859245.
Any thoughts / suggestion would be greatly appreciated . . . I would attach the document but for some reason, ancetry.ca is having issues with saving / printing records at the moment.
Thanks all. Michael
Where to Locate a Birth Certificate
Re: Where to Locate a Birth Certificate
Hi Michael, here is the document image from Ancestry.com:
http://postimage.org/image/14i686v38/
Pietro was born in Montalto Uffugo - Cosenza Province - Calabria region
This is an useful site for you:
http://www.cosenzaexchange.com/birthacts.html
http://www.cosenzaexchange.com/montaltouffugo/
Laura
http://postimage.org/image/14i686v38/
Pietro was born in Montalto Uffugo - Cosenza Province - Calabria region
This is an useful site for you:
http://www.cosenzaexchange.com/birthacts.html
http://www.cosenzaexchange.com/montaltouffugo/
Laura
Re: Where to Locate a Birth Certificate
Hi Michael and Laura!
On this 1919 manifest it lists a different birth location - for his family
Valarie
http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/Foru ... 19819.html
Dipignano, Cosenza, Calabria
On this 1919 manifest it lists a different birth location - for his family
Valarie
http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/Foru ... 19819.html
Dipignano, Cosenza, Calabria
Re: Where to Locate a Birth Certificate
Just for references, from Ancestry.com:
Ontario, Canada Marriages, 1801-1926
about Pietro Mottola
Name: Pietro Mottola
Birth Place: Italy
Age: 21
Estimated birth year: abt 1901
Father Name: Adopted By Francesco Francis Marine Nicolina Fisies Mottola
Mother Name: Mottola
Spouse Name: Raffaela Mbbrions
Spouse's Age: 16
Spouse Birth Place: Italy
Spouse Father Name: Pietro Carolina Mbbrions
Spouse Mother Name: Divuone Mbbrions
Marriage Date: 18 Nov 1922
Marriage Location: Algoma District
Marriage County: Algoma
Archives of Ontario Microfilm: MS932_606
Possible First arrival for Pietro:
page 1:
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0004
page 2:
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0004
On this arrival manifest he stated Dipignano (Cosenza Province) as place of birth...
Laura
Ontario, Canada Marriages, 1801-1926
about Pietro Mottola
Name: Pietro Mottola
Birth Place: Italy
Age: 21
Estimated birth year: abt 1901
Father Name: Adopted By Francesco Francis Marine Nicolina Fisies Mottola
Mother Name: Mottola
Spouse Name: Raffaela Mbbrions
Spouse's Age: 16
Spouse Birth Place: Italy
Spouse Father Name: Pietro Carolina Mbbrions
Spouse Mother Name: Divuone Mbbrions
Marriage Date: 18 Nov 1922
Marriage Location: Algoma District
Marriage County: Algoma
Archives of Ontario Microfilm: MS932_606
Possible First arrival for Pietro:
page 1:
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0004
page 2:
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0004
On this arrival manifest he stated Dipignano (Cosenza Province) as place of birth...
Laura
Re: Where to Locate a Birth Certificate
I'm sorry Valarie, I didn't noticed there was another same discussion....
Laura
Laura
Re: Where to Locate a Birth Certificate
Hi Laura
!
It's great to have confirmation of the record finds
Valarie
It's great to have confirmation of the record finds
Valarie
Re: Where to Locate a Birth Certificate: Corrections
Saw this posting:
"Ontario, Canada Marriages, 1801-1926
about Pietro Mottola
Name: Pietro Mottola
Birth Place: Italy
Age: 21
Estimated birth year: abt 1901
Father Name: Adopted By Francesco Francis Marine Nicolina Fisies Mottola
Mother Name: Mottola
Spouse Name: Raffaela Mbbrions
Spouse's Age: 16
Spouse Birth Place: Italy
Spouse Father Name: Pietro Carolina Mbbrions
Spouse Mother Name: Divuone Mbbrions
Marriage Date: 18 Nov 1922
Marriage Location: Algoma District
Marriage County: Algoma
Archives of Ontario Microfilm: MS932_606 "
I live in Sault Ste. Marie, and am doing local research. Came across Pietro Mattalo/Mottola while looking into Ubriaco. Pietro/Peter Mattalo married Raffaela Ubriaco, born about 1907.
Her father was Pietro Ubbriaco, mother Carolina Divuone (spelling?).
They had Samuel Mattalo, born about 1936 - married Katharine Rose Ostovich - and Frank Mattalo born 1923 - married Joyce Elizabeth Verdoni. Other children, Angelo, and Rita - married a Volpini.
That's about all I know - hope it helps.
"Ontario, Canada Marriages, 1801-1926
about Pietro Mottola
Name: Pietro Mottola
Birth Place: Italy
Age: 21
Estimated birth year: abt 1901
Father Name: Adopted By Francesco Francis Marine Nicolina Fisies Mottola
Mother Name: Mottola
Spouse Name: Raffaela Mbbrions
Spouse's Age: 16
Spouse Birth Place: Italy
Spouse Father Name: Pietro Carolina Mbbrions
Spouse Mother Name: Divuone Mbbrions
Marriage Date: 18 Nov 1922
Marriage Location: Algoma District
Marriage County: Algoma
Archives of Ontario Microfilm: MS932_606 "
I live in Sault Ste. Marie, and am doing local research. Came across Pietro Mattalo/Mottola while looking into Ubriaco. Pietro/Peter Mattalo married Raffaela Ubriaco, born about 1907.
Her father was Pietro Ubbriaco, mother Carolina Divuone (spelling?).
They had Samuel Mattalo, born about 1936 - married Katharine Rose Ostovich - and Frank Mattalo born 1923 - married Joyce Elizabeth Verdoni. Other children, Angelo, and Rita - married a Volpini.
That's about all I know - hope it helps.
Re: Where to Locate a Birth Certificate
Thank you. I am Michael Mattalo (brothers Wayne and Peter). I used to live in the Soo. Here is the puzzle I am trying to solve. I know that my grandfather, Peter (or Pietro) Mattalo (who we believe for certain now his surname was really Mottola), was adopted by the Marino's (Frank Marino) . . . but the mystery we are trying to solve is who his birth parents are - I have located the ship record of his passing from Italy to Canada . . . with Nicolina Marino and two step-children. He came to Canada under the Marino name - but the whereabouts or origin of his Mottola surname and who his birth parents are is what I am trying to determine. I haev been at this on and off for a decade with limited progress. Anything you might know or can lead me to even a thread of possibility, would be welcome and greatly appreciated. Michael
Re: Where to Locate a Birth Certificate
I know this won't help on the tracing - but - you do have this document, do you? Adoptive parents Francesco Marino and Nicolina Fisico.
Re: Where to Locate a Birth Certificate
Yes, I have this document. The mystery remains around the name Mottola (we are registered as Mattalo although I am certain this is incorrect). The records from Pietro's arrival to Canada are very clear but the whereabouts of his family prior to his arrival as a passenger with Nicolina Fisico (Marino) is the mystery we are trying to solve . . .
I may fly to Dipignano and visit church records in Cosenza and graveyards to unravel this mystery . . .
Thanks for your help.
Michael
I may fly to Dipignano and visit church records in Cosenza and graveyards to unravel this mystery . . .
Thanks for your help.
Michael

