Immigration Records for my grandfather

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
User avatar
brianna
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 28
Joined: 20 Jun 2008, 19:29

Re: Immigration Records for my grandfather

Post by brianna »

Val,
Do you know where I can get records of the ship, on which my grandfather, supposedly came to America. His Declaration Of Intention that I received from the Naturalization Service indicates that he arrived in NY "on or, about Feb 21, 1905" on the vessel "Republic".

Any advice that you may provided is, as always, appreciated.

Thanks,
Brianna
User avatar
maestra36
Master
Master
Posts: 3422
Joined: 19 Oct 2007, 00:00

Re: Immigration Records for my grandfather

Post by maestra36 »

http://www.photoship.co.uk/JAlbum%20Shi ... ic-05.html

This appears to be a photo of the ship in 1905
User avatar
brianna
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 28
Joined: 20 Jun 2008, 19:29

Re: Immigration Records for my grandfather

Post by brianna »

Maestra,
Wow!
This is a great start. Now all that I need is a copy of the manifest of 2/21/05 arrival in NY.

Appreciate the photo.

Brianna
User avatar
dmbozza
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 12
Joined: 06 Oct 2010, 18:09

Re: Immigration Records for my grandfather

Post by dmbozza »

Anyone know what the typical turn-around time is on DHS USCIS Genealogy or NARA requests?

I've requested naturalization documents from both sources USCIS and NARA (National Archives). It's been 7 weeks now and I haven't seen a thing. I actually have a photo copy of my GF naturalization certificate in hand (unable to locate original) but believe I need the original document for dual citizenship. Thats my understanding anyway.

I'll be going through the Philly office once I can get an appointment. I believe I have everything else I need including apostles, not sure how I'm going to get them translated through. I've already spent a boat load of cash in NJ getting the certified copies and apostles. NJ really socks it to you for this extra piece of paper which is a total rip-off and mass produced on a simple color printer complete with electronic signatures and all.
I did get all my documents in a timely maner thou, just as long as your willing to cough up the money and pre pay for express delivery.
jennabet
Master
Master
Posts: 1396
Joined: 14 Jul 2010, 20:28
Location: Ancestral Homeland - Abruzzo Italy

Re: Immigration Records for my grandfather

Post by jennabet »

Philadelphia processed my case. I presented a copy of my grand-father's Naturalization papers (Declaration of Intention, Petition, and Oath of Allegiance) obtained from the Mid-Atlantic Regional Archives. It was accepted, no questions asked. I received recognition of citizenship six months later.
User avatar
dmbozza
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 12
Joined: 06 Oct 2010, 18:09

Re: Immigration Records for my grandfather

Post by dmbozza »

All I have right now is a very good copy of his Certificate of Citizenship, which was issued from the Department of Labor by the Hudson County Court in Jersey City. I do not have the Declaration of Intention, Petition or Oasth of Allegiance. But hopeful that my online order to the US National Archives & Records will bring some additional documentation.
jennabet
Master
Master
Posts: 1396
Joined: 14 Jul 2010, 20:28
Location: Ancestral Homeland - Abruzzo Italy

Re: Immigration Records for my grandfather

Post by jennabet »

dmbozza, did you order your Naturalization Certificate from USCIS using the Certificate number itself? I would think maybe requests containing a number might be expedited. At least I'm hoping that to be the case.

The costliest apostille I needed was from the state of Nevada -- $20.00 each. The other states involved charged $15.00.
Post Reply