How do flash drive microfilm machines work?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
User avatar
oilman19
Master
Master
Posts: 1372
Joined: 07 Oct 2009, 20:43
Location: Simsbury, CT

Re: How do flash drive microfilm machines work?

Post by oilman19 »

If you use Ancestry, would you know what edition I would have to subscribe to?
I have the library edition at my local library for free. Do you think I would be able to access these records there or will I have to finally subscribe?

Thank you, thank you, thank you for alerting me. :)
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
User avatar
Squigy
Master
Master
Posts: 724
Joined: 02 Jun 2009, 06:05
Location: Texas, USA (Born in Pennsylvania)

Re: How do flash drive microfilm machines work?

Post by Squigy »

oilman19 wrote:If you use Ancestry, would you know what edition I would have to subscribe to?
I have the library edition at my local library for free. Do you think I would be able to access these records there or will I have to finally subscribe?

Thank you, thank you, thank you for alerting me. :)
I think you could access them with Library Edition, but I'm not sure, you'd have to check.
My Italian surnames:

Caserta: Maietta, Rossano, Tessitore, Negro, Peluso, Musone

Campobasso: D'Andrea, Barile

Catanzaro: Fiorelli/Fiorillo, Romito
User avatar
lilbees
Master
Master
Posts: 878
Joined: 09 Mar 2007, 00:00
Location: Georgia, USA

Re: How do flash drive microfilm machines work?

Post by lilbees »

For the comune of Santa Maria Capua Vetere, they have the Cittadinanza for 1876 thru 1910.

Don't know if this would be much help but at least you would find information on your family possibly.

lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa
User avatar
Squigy
Master
Master
Posts: 724
Joined: 02 Jun 2009, 06:05
Location: Texas, USA (Born in Pennsylvania)

Re: How do flash drive microfilm machines work?

Post by Squigy »

lilbees wrote:For the comune of Santa Maria Capua Vetere, they have the Cittadinanza for 1876 thru 1910.

Don't know if this would be much help but at least you would find information on your family possibly.

lilbees
Yeah, they have that for my comune (Marcianise) too. What is that exactly?
My Italian surnames:

Caserta: Maietta, Rossano, Tessitore, Negro, Peluso, Musone

Campobasso: D'Andrea, Barile

Catanzaro: Fiorelli/Fiorillo, Romito
User avatar
Eleven
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 213
Joined: 15 Nov 2004, 00:00
Contact:

Re: How do flash drive microfilm machines work?

Post by Eleven »

I had the deluxe addition, to access these records. With tax, it cost me about 32 dollars a month. I kept them only 3 months, but could have kept them far less. I copied the entire civil records for my fathers town. I now have them ALL in my computer and will put them on a cd.

These records are clear crisp copies and it took me about 5 minutes to copy an entire years worth of one type records. In other words...for births, in the year 1867..about 5 minutes worth of copying. I did a little at a time. If I didnt drag it out..I could have had it all copied in a month.

Now, if I decide that I need information for someone..I dont have to rejoin..I have everything.

I saw someone discussing joining from the italian version of ancestry. I believe they said it was much cheaper..and they could access these records. I cant swear to it tho..since I didnt do that. The 32 bucks a month was well worth it for me..considering what I got out of it.
User avatar
oilman19
Master
Master
Posts: 1372
Joined: 07 Oct 2009, 20:43
Location: Simsbury, CT

Re: How do flash drive microfilm machines work?

Post by oilman19 »

Hi Eleven,

I'm curious. How big is your town? I can't imagine achieving that goal so quickly. My town has about 700 births/year. That's a lot of records to study.

However, I may consider trying to do what you did once I find out what is actually available to me.

I'll look in the library edition first to see if that works (it's free).

Thank you everyone for your help.
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
User avatar
Eleven
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 213
Joined: 15 Nov 2004, 00:00
Contact:

Re: How do flash drive microfilm machines work?

Post by Eleven »

Noooo..this town had nowhere near 700 births a year. I would say a high numbered year would be 70. I recall just a few years had a little over 100 (cant recall if those were death, births or marriages).

Its very easy to make the copies..only..you get real bored at some point...thats why I stretched it out. I could have done it in a month, had I stuck with it.

I had to figure out a numbering system, so they would fall in the right position. I put each year in its own folder. For the records, I named them a-z. Then z1-9, then Z9a-z, then Z9Z1-9 and so on. This insured they would all fall in the exact same place as they were on ancestry.

I also copied the index, and have all of the indexes in a folder. The indexs that I copied..I found to be easier to use than the ones online. The actual records..are not as easy to use as the ones online...you have to click around more.

The way I look at it is..you can put them on a cd or dvd and have them forever.
User avatar
oilman19
Master
Master
Posts: 1372
Joined: 07 Oct 2009, 20:43
Location: Simsbury, CT

Re: How do flash drive microfilm machines work?

Post by oilman19 »

I doubt I will try to index my whole town, but I do extract records that may have a future purpose. They are simply filed by surname, given name, activity, and year. I keep them on a storage device until needed.
I had never copied indexes (when available) until recently. Initially, I saw no future value for them. Now I do.
It looks like I will be busy for quite a while.

May all of my wonderful friends on the forum have a very Merry Christmas.
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
User avatar
Eleven
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 213
Joined: 15 Nov 2004, 00:00
Contact:

Re: How do flash drive microfilm machines work?

Post by Eleven »

I think the indexes got better as the years progressed. The records ancestry had for my town were from 1866-1939 (there were just a few after 1910).

When I did this town in the early 90s, the FHL had from 1865-back. The indexes were messy and sometimes didnt show up until the end of the year, on the film. You didnt even know they were there, until you went page by page and found them at the end. I didnt do much with indexes back then.

This time, when I subscribed to ancestry..the indexes are in the dropdown menu, alone. Again, for the first few days, I didnt bother with them. I was looking for certain things, going page by page.

I dont know what possessed me to take a look at the indexes, but I am glad I did. It was so much easier to find what I was looking for by using the index first.

What I noticed most, between the newer years and the older years was, the forms changed on the newer ones and actually provided less information than the older ones.

My original plan wasnt to copy every record. It wasnt until I went thru a few years and noticed, there werent that many pages. Plus, I saw how fast you can copy them. I had already gone thru several years, page by page and in two extra clicks, I could have taken those records.

I doubt I would have done that if there were 700+ births per year. What I probably would have done, is what you mentioned...took whatever looked like I might be able to use. Also, Ancestry isnt taking these records down, so if you unsubscribed and eventually found you needed other records, you could make a list and resubscribe.

It costs a lot of money to keep a deluxe subscription indefinitely, if there is nothing you need. This was my 3rd subscription with them. I just rejoin when they have something else I need. If they dont come out with anything from italy that I need, my next subscription will be for the 1940 census, in a couple of years.
User avatar
oilman19
Master
Master
Posts: 1372
Joined: 07 Oct 2009, 20:43
Location: Simsbury, CT

Re: How do flash drive microfilm machines work?

Post by oilman19 »

I would guess that on the films I have reviewed, maybe 50-60% had indexes. I have used them when available.
Also, I now scrutinize records more thoroughly (trying to avoid a 2nd time thru) looking for familiar names that wouldn't be in the index, like the surname of the mother on various documents. Since I have the time, I'd rather try to read the record only once.
I'm hoping to get to the public library today to get a glance at what may be available to me. I hope it's a good day. :)
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
User avatar
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master
Posts: 5228
Joined: 04 Aug 2008, 15:01
Location: Connecticut, USA

Re: How do flash drive microfilm machines work?

Post by johnnyonthespot »

oilman19 wrote:If you use Ancestry, would you know what edition I would have to subscribe to?
I have the library edition at my local library for free. Do you think I would be able to access these records there or will I have to finally subscribe?

Thank you, thank you, thank you for alerting me. :)
Jim,

You can sign up for ancestry.it (the ancestry . com Italy site) for only €9.95 per year! And, yes, it does seem to work for US residents / US credit cards.

Nearly as I can tell, all of the Italy family trees, Italian civil records (limited to those which have been thus far made available, of course), and so on are there.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
User avatar
Eleven
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 213
Joined: 15 Nov 2004, 00:00
Contact:

Re: How do flash drive microfilm machines work?

Post by Eleven »

Thanks Carmine. I knew I saw that said somewhere..but I didnt want to swear to it. I had already subscribed when I read that, so never tried it.

Good luck, Jim.
User avatar
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master
Posts: 5228
Joined: 04 Aug 2008, 15:01
Location: Connecticut, USA

Re: How do flash drive microfilm machines work?

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Eleven wrote:Thanks Carmine. I knew I saw that said somewhere..but I didnt want to swear to it. I had already subscribed when I read that, so never tried it.

Good luck, Jim.
Also, if you already have an ancestry . com account, you can go through the motions of signing up for ancestry.it using the same username, password, and account information as for your existing account. This way you get all the "International" access that most of us might want - US plus Italy - for only an additional €9.95 per year over the regular US subscription fee.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
User avatar
oilman19
Master
Master
Posts: 1372
Joined: 07 Oct 2009, 20:43
Location: Simsbury, CT

Re: How do flash drive microfilm machines work?

Post by oilman19 »

I have to tell you all.

I am sitting in the public library (free access to Ancestry) and reviewing films (in daylight) on their computers. After the many hours I have sat in darkness and strained to read films on those rickety readers, I think I have died and gone to heaven. :) :) :)

I may still subscribe, now that I know what is here, and do this at home. What a pleasure!

I hope all of the films on Ancestry are this clear. I have never seen such clarity. It is wonderful!

Santa has arrived for me!!! Thank you to all who have led me to this wonderful site. :D :D :D :D
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
User avatar
oilman19
Master
Master
Posts: 1372
Joined: 07 Oct 2009, 20:43
Location: Simsbury, CT

Re: How do flash drive microfilm machines work?

Post by oilman19 »

Thank you, Carmine.
I will check that out. That sounds very reasonable compared to what I am paying for microfilms.

Did I tell you how excited I am?

Merry Christmas
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
Post Reply