How do flash drive microfilm machines work?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
User avatar
Squigy
Master
Master
Posts: 724
Joined: 02 Jun 2009, 06:05
Location: Texas, USA (Born in Pennsylvania)

Re: How do flash drive microfilm machines work?

Post by Squigy »

I agree, it's really nice to be able to go through these records in the comfort of your own home. I can't believe one of my towns is online!

I'm so glad you're happy with the records, too, Jim!
My Italian surnames:

Caserta: Maietta, Rossano, Tessitore, Negro, Peluso, Musone

Campobasso: D'Andrea, Barile

Catanzaro: Fiorelli/Fiorillo, Romito
User avatar
Eleven
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 213
Joined: 15 Nov 2004, 00:00
Contact:

Re: How do flash drive microfilm machines work?

Post by Eleven »

LOL Jim..I told ya. The records are crystal clear. Sharp black on white. Not black on gray or black on almost black. They are outstanding. And imagine? You can view them in your underwear, any time of the day or night..and make copies in seconds.

I was never an ancestry fan..until they began putting their records online. Even their census records are crisp and clear..I recopied everything that I already had.

These records are like a dream come true..especially if you had to mess with those microfilms or sent for records that never came.

Years ago..I used to say, I would pay any price to be able to view these records at home. In my wildest dreams, I never thought they would be online..and in such good shape.
User avatar
oilman19
Master
Master
Posts: 1372
Joined: 07 Oct 2009, 20:43
Location: Simsbury, CT

Re: How do flash drive microfilm machines work?

Post by oilman19 »

I do have a question though. When I wanted to copy a record, I right clicked, hit "save image" and then put it on my flash drive. On the birth acts, the image is of the open book with 1.5 records on the left and 1.5 records on the right, a total of three records to view. On some occasions, when I used "save image" I would get the whole 2 page image of 3 documents. On occasion, I would only get part of the whole image with no logic to what was captured. I believe I was using the same procedure for all images I wished to save. Any ideas?

I know that I was so excited that I was probably screwing up and not knowing it. :lol:
But I don't know what I was doing different. :?

Anyway, I may be a subscriber of Ancestry before the holiday is over.
I am still ecstatic over this change.
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
User avatar
Eleven
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 213
Joined: 15 Nov 2004, 00:00
Contact:

Re: How do flash drive microfilm machines work?

Post by Eleven »

I always set the size to 200. Saving always gave me 2 pages. If it is the type record that has 3, some of the info for the last one, might land on the next page, so you have to click to the next image and copy that, too.

On rare occasions, it would take a few extra seconds for the entire image to load. I believe you have to be sure the whole record is viewable before you save it. I noticed this most, during prime time, and figured maybe a lot of people were using it. When this lag would happen, I always clicked the image in my files to be sure I got the entire image.

Jim, believe me..it is worth the money. I kept them for 3 months. I could have kept it for less, because I had everything I needed.

It cost me under 100 dollars. It cost me more when I used the FHL, not to mention the poor quality of the microfilm, the amount of time it took me, the amount of trips (and money spent on gas for the half hour ride).

Ya know, most of us spend 100 bucks without blinking..or sometimes, without even realizing we spent it. All you have to do is go out to dinner a couple of times..poof..its gone.

Give yourself a Christmas present..I am sure you deserve it.

Merry Christmas.
User avatar
oilman19
Master
Master
Posts: 1372
Joined: 07 Oct 2009, 20:43
Location: Simsbury, CT

Re: How do flash drive microfilm machines work?

Post by oilman19 »

I had set the size to 100% and as far as I can recollect, followed the same procedure for all images. I'll definitely monitor it more closely.

I have spent plenty at the FHL because I always renew my rentals twice to be sure they never get sent back to Utah and I can reference them any time I wish when the library is open. I'm sure I have in excess of 20 films on permanent loan.

I believe I am already convinced that I have no choice but to subscribe. I'll call it my Christmas present to me. I think I've earned it. :)

Happy Holidays
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
Post Reply