Willing to do the work if you guys think I qualify

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
User avatar
mler
Master
Master
Posts: 2515
Joined: 01 Apr 2006, 00:00

Re: Willing to do the work if you guys think I qualify

Post by mler »

Just a quick additional thought. . .if your gf is still living and is willing to do so, perhaps he can apply. There is no essential difference between his application and yours except that you would be tracing back five generations, and he would need to trace back only three.

Once his citizenship is established, it's an easy matter to extend it to your father and to you. I suggest this only because a three-generation application is more common and thus less likely to give them pause.
User avatar
kontessa
Elite
Elite
Posts: 304
Joined: 16 Apr 2010, 19:05

Re: Willing to do the work if you guys think I qualify

Post by kontessa »

mler wrote:You have a positive attitude and a willingness to work hard for this, but I worry a bit because I think that your confidence can set you up for a big disappointment if things do not work out. Keep that confidence, but be prepared for challenges along the way and a possible negative outcome.
mler wrote:I hope that you are successful in your endeavor, but it's important to be realistic about some of the problems you may face so that you are prepared for potential objections and are ready to deal with them.
As always, mler offers outstanding advice. :D Better to be a realist with a positive attitude!
User avatar
paraitaliano
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 16
Joined: 17 Jan 2011, 23:47

Re: Willing to do the work if you guys think I qualify

Post by paraitaliano »

Thank you for the thoughts and advice!

I have a few updates:

1) I have researched in detail the naturalization of my 3xGGF and it actually appears he never naturalized. In the state he was from ( Mississippi ) there exist extremely detailed records from two different sources ( the LDS Micro Films and the World Archive Project )

The LDS Micro films provide the county court records for decades prior and decades after my 3xGGF arrived specially in relation to Naturalization.

The World Archive Project records relating to Mississippi for Naturalization cards are from the Louisiana district court. When you compare the records from the LDS to those of the WAP you find a 1 to 1 match of those listed as filling a declaration and ordered naturalized in the LDS.

For those listed solely as filling a declaration in the LDS records ( with no record of the order of naturalization ) there exist no corresponding record in the WAP. ( I have manually searched a considerable number of these records from multiple counties and several different decades )

With this knowledge I should be able to obtain a "no record found" letter from all Federal departments and from the district, state and county courts if needed.

2) Regarding my Grandfather, he unfortunately passed away in the 90's however my Father is still alive and he is going to be the main individual in this application.

3) I also believe there is grounded sentiment from some that the more generations back you go the less connected you may be to Italy. While this is a generalization I do recognize this fact. As such, I am actually starting, and taking seriously, Italian language classes so that when it does come time to meet with the comune I can have my conversation in Italian.

I certainly respect your candor surrounding the possibility of being let down and I agree it can be a hard fall when you get to high on the horse. Luckily, I've learned a lot in my seemingly short life and the most important lesson I've probably learned is that life is more than any one event :)

Will continue to keep you all updated and I sincerely appreciate all of your input, time and knowledge!
Post Reply