Next steps for finding ggf parents names

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
User avatar
jantonelli81
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 35
Joined: 29 Dec 2010, 23:45
Location: Rhode Island, USA

Re: Next steps for finding ggf parents names

Post by jantonelli81 »

Hi Everyone,

Thank you so much for your hard work finding this info!

I actually do not know if my ggf had any siblings, but I always assumed he must have had some. My father just passed away, and he never mentioned if he had brothers, and he was raised by his grandparents.

When inquiring about my ggf and ggm, my father would give me info, but I don't have any hard evidence. So piece by piece I have been stringing stuff together.

This is what I know for sure...his name and birthday and he was born in Italy. His wife's name was Giovannina (went my Jennie). Her last name was De Fusco. Their Children...Mary Ann, Frank, Mike, Rose, Christopher, Daniel, Mario (not exactly in that order). And that they settled in RI (Burriville, Cranston and Providence). They frequently went back to Italy.

The hearsay : My father believes he immigrated when he was about 19 (ship manifest shows he was 18). My father also believes he came with an Uncle (no name). My father said that some of his relatives never immigrated to Canada instead. He also told me he met his wife here and married in the US. He said that some of his grandparents siblings died young, so this would explain me not knowing about a Columbus Antonelli that was listed on the census.

My father told me he was from Abruzzo, or near that part. He also told me he lived near Naples. I know nothing about my ggm place of origin other than Italy.

I am going to look at this information, but I will be so excited if I can find out who my ggf siblings are , if he had any. As for the place of birth. It also confuses me as to why their are no Antonellis living in San Ambrogio S.G now or that there are not any in the cemetery. Maybe the didn't stay in that part for long?

Well thank you for helping me find some more info. I will look through it and then start writing to Italy
User avatar
jantonelli81
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 35
Joined: 29 Dec 2010, 23:45
Location: Rhode Island, USA

Re: Next steps for finding ggf parents names

Post by jantonelli81 »

I looked at all the info you have both posted and I would like to conclude, at least for now that Jon or Giovanni Antonelli was most likely my ggf Donato Antonelli's brother. An interesting fact is that my father's mother or my ggf's daughter Rose Antonelli, was born with chestnut/auburn hair. On Giovanni Antonelli's WWI drafr card, his is described as having chestnut colored hair! Everything is starting to add up! :lol:

I also found boarder crossing papers from US to Canada for Gio Antonelli . However his birthday is off by one year. He was traveling with a male, Benditto Antonelli age 55. i wonder if this could be their father, if it is the same Giovanni Antonelli, and if he is actually my ggf's brother. I know these are too many assumptions to make now, but I do remember my dad saying that my ggf had family members who never came to America or left America for Canada.

I just reordered SS cards, or the copy of the original...hopeful this has more information too.

Thanks again for helping me piece together the puzzle!
pink67
Master
Master
Posts: 4461
Joined: 25 Oct 2005, 00:00
Location: italia - liguria

Re: Next steps for finding ggf parents names

Post by pink67 »

From your previous post:

http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/Foru ... 19994.html

[quote="ItalySearcher]Sant'Ambrogio sul Garigliano have some great records and the parish records go back to the 1600's.
Happy hunting.[/quote]

You can write to the Town Hall and ask for Donato's Atto di nascita so you can know his parent's name...
If the Giovanni Antonelli's arrival I found is correct for Donato's brother then their father's name was Mauro...

These are records for Donato's possible brother:

1920 United States Federal Census
about John Anthonella
Name: John Anthonella[John Anthorella]
Home in 1920: Providence Ward 9, Providence, Rhode Island
Age: 25
Estimated birth year: abt 1895
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Self (Head)
[Head]
Spouse's name: Anthonia Anthonella
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Sex: Male
Home owned: Rent
Year of immigration: 1914
Able to read: No
Able to Write: No
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
John Anthonella 25 head, born in IT
Anthonia Anthonella 26 wife, born in IT
Mary Anthonella 5 daughter, born in RI
Emilio Anthonella 3 son, born in RI
Anthonio Anthonella 0[2/12] son, born in RI
Carmens Petrecio 25 possible Petruccio, cousin, immigr. yera 1911
Frank Crappass 27 boarder

Address was 26 Ridge Street, same of the WW1 Draft Registration cArd....

1930 United States Federal Census about Giovanni Antonelli
Name: Giovanni Antonelli
Home in 1930: Providence, Providence, Rhode Island
View Map
Age: 36
Estimated birth year: abt 1894
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Head
Spouse's name: Antonetta Antonelli
Race: White
Occupation:

Education:

Military Service:

Rent/home value:

Age at first marriage:

Parents' birthplace: View image
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Giovanni Antonelli 36 head
Antonetta Antonelli 38 wife
Maria Antonelli 16 daughter
Emilio Antonelli 14 son
Antonio Antonelli 10 son
Margaret Antonelli 9 daughter
Rose Antonelli 8 daughter
Clara Antonelli 9/12 daughter
John Simione 26 boarder
Ernesto Fargnoli 30boarder

address was 12 Messenger street

Laura
User avatar
jantonelli81
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 35
Joined: 29 Dec 2010, 23:45
Location: Rhode Island, USA

Re: Next steps for finding ggf parents names

Post by jantonelli81 »

pink67 wrote:Maybe other records could be helpful for your research, for example this is the 1915 census for Rhode Island state for Donato:

The family was:

Antonaly Dan, head, born in IT, age 27, PA (filled the first papers for the naturalization process)
Antonaly Jennie, wife, age 27, born in IT
Antonaly Frank, son 3 moths old, born in U.S.
Antonaly Marion, age 1 born in U.S.
Antonaly John, brother, age 20, born in Italy

They were living in Burrilville, same as 1920 census and WW! draft card for Donato...

image, from Familysearch.org:

http://postimage.org/image/29fjrikg4/

Considering that you found him in the 1910 census and he was single, and considering that in this 1915 census his daughter Marion was 1 year old we can establish that he married Jennie between 1910 and 1913/1914..

Laura
Pink,

Where can I locate the 1915 census ? For some reason I do not see it listed on Ancestory . com the place I use to get most of my info.
User avatar
jantonelli81
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 35
Joined: 29 Dec 2010, 23:45
Location: Rhode Island, USA

Re: Next steps for finding ggf parents names

Post by jantonelli81 »

pink67 wrote:I found the site of the Cemetery of Sant'Ambrogio sul Garigliano but unfortunately it seems that neither one Antonelli's is buried there :?

http://www.ciol.it/sant-ambrogio-sul-ga ... icerca.php

Laura
I wonder if the family had all immigrated to America/Canada. Or could it be possible they didn't always bury in the Cemetery. My last thought, is maybe the part of San Ambrogio S.G. they were from , is not now considered to be the same? Did the comuni ever change? hmmmm
User avatar
jantonelli81
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 35
Joined: 29 Dec 2010, 23:45
Location: Rhode Island, USA

Re: Next steps for finding ggf parents names

Post by jantonelli81 »

pink67 wrote::!: Possible 1913 arrival manfiest for Giovanni Antonelli, Donato's brother?:

Atlantic Ports Passenger Lists, 1820-1873 and 1893-1959
about Giovanni Antonelli
Name: Giovanni Antonelli
Arrival Date: 1 Aug 1913
Age: 19 Years
Estimated birth year: abt 1894
Gender: Male
Ethnic Background: Italian (South) (Italian)
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Ship Name: Venezia
Port of Arrival: Providence, Rhode Island
Friend's Name: Antonio Seniconi
Last Residence: Italy
Birthplace: Sambrogro G, Italy
Microfilm Roll Number: 5

image:
http://postimage.org/image/he7mqn38/

image page 2:
http://postimage.org/image/29jmycgec/

Giovanni stated he was leaving in Italy his father Mauro :!: in Sant'Ambrogio sul Garigliano (I believe) and was joining his cousin Antonio Seniconi/Sericoni in Providence...

Do you believe he was Donato's brother?

Laura :D
This very well could be. I don't know though, I did not know of any of his siblings' names. It very well could be . I wonder if Mauron, should be Mario as his father? I will keep searching
pink67
Master
Master
Posts: 4461
Joined: 25 Oct 2005, 00:00
Location: italia - liguria

Re: Next steps for finding ggf parents names

Post by pink67 »

Pink67 wrote:Giovanni stated he was leaving in Italy his father Mauro in Sant'Ambrogio sul Garigliano
Mauro is a first name in italian....

I found the 1915 census here:

https://www.familysearch.org/

I believe the best thing for you to do is to ask for Donato Antonelli's "atto di nascita" to the comune of Sant'Ambrogio sul Garigliano:

Comune di Sant'Ambrogio sul Garigliano
Ufficio di stato Civile
Via Roma, 38

03040 Sant'Ambrogio sul Garigliano FR

Italia

Here you can find some form letters in italian:

http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... tters.html

http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... /index.asp

Good luck!

Laura
User avatar
jantonelli81
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 35
Joined: 29 Dec 2010, 23:45
Location: Rhode Island, USA

Re: Next steps for finding ggf parents names

Post by jantonelli81 »

Hi,

I am still waiting for their social security cards to arrive. However I wanted to know if anyone had access to Border Crossing from U.S. to Canada 1801-1926 and/or Ontario,Canada Marriages 1895-1956. I found a match for Geovanni Antoniole (Giovanni Antonelli) born 1894 for both records on ancestory . com but I do not have the type of membership that allows me access for these types of records. Knowing that my dad mentioned that some family went to Canada, I wonder if this could be donato antonelli's brother or family member.

Thanks Jenn
pink67
Master
Master
Posts: 4461
Joined: 25 Oct 2005, 00:00
Location: italia - liguria

Re: Next steps for finding ggf parents names

Post by pink67 »

Jenn,

The first name of the wife of Giovanni Antonelli (the one I wrote about in my previous messages) was Antonia:

from Ancestry.com:

Rhode Island Births, 1636-1930
about Rosa Antonelli
Name: Rosa Antonelli
Parent 1: Giovanni Antonelli
Parent 2: Annatonia Antonelli
Birth Date: 29 Aug 1914

Rhode Island Births, 1636-1930
about Emilio Antonelli
Name: Emilio Antonelli
Parent 1: Giovanni Antonelli
Parent 2: Antonia Antonelli
Birth Date: 2 May 1916

Rhode Island Births, 1636-1930
about Rosa Antonelli
Name: Rosa Antonelli
Parent 1: Giovanni Antonelli
Parent 2: Antonia Antonelli
Birth Date: 17 Apr 1918

Rhode Island Births, 1636-1930
about - Antonelli
Name: - Antonelli
Relation: s
Parent 1: Giovanni Antonelli
Parent 2: Antonia Antonelli
Birth Date: 5 Nov 1919


this is the record about the Canadian marriage from Ancestry.com:

Ontario, Canada Marriages, 1801-1926
about Geovanni Antoniole
Name: Geovanni Antoniole
Birth Place: Italy
Age: 23
Estimated birth year: abt 1893
Father Name: Geovanni Dunnick
Mother Name: Rosa Cardinah
Spouse Name: Antonia Deangele
Spouse's Age: 23
Spouse Birth Place: Italy
Spouse Father Name: Augelo Deangele
Spouse Mother Name: Maria Be??ualoucia
Marriage Date: 23 Dec 1916
Marriage Location: Algoma District
Marriage County: Algoma
Archives of Ontario Microfilm: MS932_377

image:
http://postimage.org/image/1xwxyv4ck/

but considering that the first child were born before december 1916 I don't believe this was their marriage record... the last name here is clearly Antonioli...

Laura
User avatar
jantonelli81
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 35
Joined: 29 Dec 2010, 23:45
Location: Rhode Island, USA

Re: Next steps for finding ggf parents names

Post by jantonelli81 »

Thank you so much for checking. that makes sense, that their first child was born well before the marriage of these people with similar names.

I just wanted to narrow it down. Thanks so much for all of your help
User avatar
jantonelli81
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 35
Joined: 29 Dec 2010, 23:45
Location: Rhode Island, USA

Re: Next steps for finding ggf parents names

Post by jantonelli81 »

maestra36 wrote:The town of Sant' Ambrogio sul Gariglano is listed under the Archivio di Stato di Caserta on page 19 of a 22 page pdf file. I don't see a way of linking that here.


Caserta, as a province, was not established until 1945.
Well that is strange, because on Danto's Ship Manifest from 1906 this is the one time he lists Caserta has his hometown. Is there another Caserta?
Post Reply