New York Consulate
Re: New York Consulate
That is great news! Your BC is an easy fix.
- rpetronejr
- Newbie

- Posts: 11
- Joined: 18 Feb 2011, 20:34
Re: New York Consulate
Not really, called the town I recieved it from they are unable to change it. I would have to get a name change from my local probate court, another $150, plus $ for apostille/translation. They really know how to get you.
- johnnyonthespot
- Master

- Posts: 5228
- Joined: 04 Aug 2008, 15:01
- Location: Connecticut, USA
Re: New York Consulate
Is your father still living? My impression has been that the consulates (in particular, NYC) take a different view of the "Jr" thing depending on wheher or not "Sr" is still alive.
I am a Jr; my father died several years before my jus sanguinis application.
I am a Jr; my father died several years before my jus sanguinis application.
Carmine
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
Re: New York Consulate
It all seems so sad to me that Italian immigrants must have felt compelled to adapt British naming customs because they were in America. They should have had more spine -- like the Mexicans.
Re: New York Consulate
I doubt that many felt compelled to Americanize their names. It's hard to imagine, given the desire of so many of us to reconnect with Italy, but many of our ancestors were eager to assimilate.
Italians emigrated to begin a new, and hopefully better, life for their children, and for many, their proudest day was the day they became American--Canadian, Brazilian, Australian, etc.--citizens. My grandparents fell into this category, as did my husband, brothers-in-law, sisters-in-laws, etc. All Americanized their names. It was an affirmation of their connection to their adopted home.
I don't doubt that the discrimination against Italians during the early part of the 20th century encouraged some to change their names, but certainly not all; and their surnames continued to identify them as Italian.
I tend to think that future generations of Latino immigrants will also increasingly give their children American names, something I've already noticed in the schools. It tends to be a pattern.
Sure is a pain, though, trying to convince the consulates to accept variations on a name even when they are literal translations.
Italians emigrated to begin a new, and hopefully better, life for their children, and for many, their proudest day was the day they became American--Canadian, Brazilian, Australian, etc.--citizens. My grandparents fell into this category, as did my husband, brothers-in-law, sisters-in-laws, etc. All Americanized their names. It was an affirmation of their connection to their adopted home.
I don't doubt that the discrimination against Italians during the early part of the 20th century encouraged some to change their names, but certainly not all; and their surnames continued to identify them as Italian.
I tend to think that future generations of Latino immigrants will also increasingly give their children American names, something I've already noticed in the schools. It tends to be a pattern.
Sure is a pain, though, trying to convince the consulates to accept variations on a name even when they are literal translations.
Re: New York Consulate
I agree. About a year ago, I stood next to a Latino man at a business counter in DC. The employee waiting on him was having a difficult time trying to spell his last name. The man seemed a bit embarrassed by this, and turned to say to me that he was considering changing his name in order to make it easier for people to spell. I was shocked. Just having finished a 3-year struggle with my ancestors documents, I could only respond with, "NEVER change your name! You were born with that name!" (Of course I was thinking that this is precisely why so many of us are having problems correcting documents for citizenship today!!mler wrote: I tend to think that future generations of Latino immigrants will also increasingly give their children American names, something I've already noticed in the schools. It tends to be a pattern.
- rpetronejr
- Newbie

- Posts: 11
- Joined: 18 Feb 2011, 20:34
Re: New York Consulate
Definitly frustrating. How does it work with all the of the original documents, i know they get sent to Italy, but they get sent back at some point to person who submitted them right?
- johnnyonthespot
- Master

- Posts: 5228
- Joined: 04 Aug 2008, 15:01
- Location: Connecticut, USA
Re: New York Consulate
Actually, no.rpetronejr wrote:Definitly frustrating. How does it work with all the of the original documents, i know they get sent to Italy, but they get sent back at some point to person who submitted them right?
If you have an original naturalization certificate, the consulate will examine it, photocopy it, and return the original to you immediately.
All other documents presented with your application are retained - some by the consulate and others are sent to the ancestral comune where they are registered and then filed.
Carmine
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
- rpetronejr
- Newbie

- Posts: 11
- Joined: 18 Feb 2011, 20:34
Re: New York Consulate
So if someone wants to do it later from the family they have to obtain all new documents?
- johnnyonthespot
- Master

- Posts: 5228
- Joined: 04 Aug 2008, 15:01
- Location: Connecticut, USA
Re: New York Consulate
In many (most? all?) cases, you can give the family member your case/file number (the acceptance letter I recevied from the NYC consulate calls it "Nr Prot:") for reference.rpetronejr wrote:So if someone wants to do it later from the family they have to obtain all new documents?
For example, a brother or sister can simply acquire their own certified/apostiled/translated birth certificate and then make an application stating that all other documents are on file at the NYC consulate under file number xxxxxx.
This works much easier if they are applying at the same consulate, although I have seen reports of people applying in Miami and other places but referencing a previous case in NYC.
Carmine
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
Re: New York Consulate
None of my documents were ever returned to me. While I was in Italy, I decided that I should have a copy of my American birth certificate so I ordered one from Vitalcheck but in hindsight, I could have asked the Comune for a copy of it.
Also, I never received any sort of Certificate claiming I was an Italian citizen. I just went in and applied for the passport when the consulate instructed me to.
The Comune could have provided me with that certificate but I already had all the other documents to live in Italy so I didn't see the point in asking them for one.
Also, I never received any sort of Certificate claiming I was an Italian citizen. I just went in and applied for the passport when the consulate instructed me to.
The Comune could have provided me with that certificate but I already had all the other documents to live in Italy so I didn't see the point in asking them for one.
- JavaisLife
- Veteran

- Posts: 133
- Joined: 20 Aug 2010, 22:02
- Location: NYC
Re: New York Consulate
If you were able to make it all the way down to your birth certificate, without a hiccup that's great! Congrats.
Was there anything else noted at your appointment?
Was there anything else noted at your appointment?
- rpetronejr
- Newbie

- Posts: 11
- Joined: 18 Feb 2011, 20:34
Re: New York Consulate
To update everyone. Was able to get the probate form for my name change. Got an email another day later saying that they didnt like my Mass birth certificates, even though we got them directly from the city of birth. Had to spend another $100 on those. Got everything done in the nick of time and send it all out last thursday. So now the wait begins.
1. Approx, how long did everyone wait to hear something further?
2. Anyone every have them come back again for more information?
What a strange/fun/frustrating experience, hopefully this is it. Haha.
Thanks for everyones advice
Rob
1. Approx, how long did everyone wait to hear something further?
2. Anyone every have them come back again for more information?
What a strange/fun/frustrating experience, hopefully this is it. Haha.
Thanks for everyones advice
Rob
- rpetronejr
- Newbie

- Posts: 11
- Joined: 18 Feb 2011, 20:34
Re: New York Consulate
Going to bump this with the hope someone can provide any insight. We are still awaiting anything from the consulate. Approx. How long should we wait before inquiring, we provided everything back in March to fulfill any additional requirements from our interview. So it has now been about 4 months. Appreciate any feedback.
Thanks
Rob
Thanks
Rob
- rpetronejr
- Newbie

- Posts: 11
- Joined: 18 Feb 2011, 20:34
Re: New York Consulate
Provide an update for everyone. I had to finally write to the NYC consulate to request information for a status on my application. Two days letter i get my acceptence. Go figure.
Next step now is the passport, from the website it seems simple enough
- Make Apt
- Two pictures
- The letter you recieved as well as the application
- Payment
- Thats it right or am i missing something?
Next step now is the passport, from the website it seems simple enough
- Make Apt
- Two pictures
- The letter you recieved as well as the application
- Payment
- Thats it right or am i missing something?
