Hello,
My great great grandparents came over to the united states in the 1890s. I have my gg grandfather's (Raffaele Mirra) ship manifest that says he came to the US in 1892 by himself. My gg grandmother's (Gelsomina Amato) ship manifest has her coming over in 1897 with her 3 children. (Letizia, Columbia and Filomena)
I know that they originally settled in New York and moved to Philadelphia between 1898 and 1900. I have found the family in the 1910, 1920 and censuses. I can not find them on the 1900 census. Would there be a reason that a family would be left off of a census?
TIA
Jim
1900 Census missing
Re: 1900 Census missing
Hi Jim,
I would advise you to "see" this birth act... (I saw your tree on ancestry.com)
New York City Births, 1891-1902
Liberte Mirra 11 Aug 1899 Certificate 30383
Births Reported in January, 1899.
Being the first name Liberata non so common it's possible she was the Liberata Mirra of your family tree and possibily the family was in Manhattan at the time of 1900 census?
Laura
I would advise you to "see" this birth act... (I saw your tree on ancestry.com)
New York City Births, 1891-1902
Liberte Mirra 11 Aug 1899 Certificate 30383
Births Reported in January, 1899.
Being the first name Liberata non so common it's possible she was the Liberata Mirra of your family tree and possibily the family was in Manhattan at the time of 1900 census?
Laura
Re: 1900 Census missing
Thanks Laura!
I just sent away for a copy of that certificate, hopefully I will know soon. I found a death certificate for one of Raffaele and Gelsomina's children that died in Philadelphia in 1902. Perhaps during the time of the census they were in the process of moving from NYC to Philadelphia, not sure how long that would have taken around 1900.
I'll keep trying to search both New York and Pennsylvania.
I just sent away for a copy of that certificate, hopefully I will know soon. I found a death certificate for one of Raffaele and Gelsomina's children that died in Philadelphia in 1902. Perhaps during the time of the census they were in the process of moving from NYC to Philadelphia, not sure how long that would have taken around 1900.
I'll keep trying to search both New York and Pennsylvania.
Re: 1900 Census missing
You're welcome Jim..
I believe that Liberata "Fannie" Mirra Tofani was really born in NYC, have you seen her 1920 census?
1920 United States Federal Census
about Fannie Tofani
Name: Fannie Tofani
Home in 1920: Philadelphia Ward 1, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Age: 20
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1900
Birthplace: New York
Relation to Head of House: Wife
Spouse's Name: Arturo Tofani
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Sex: Female
Able to read: Yes
Able to Write: Yes
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Arturo Tofani 35
Fannie Tofani 20
that birth certificate must be her!!!
Then, the family was in NYC - Manhattan on August 1899 while on february 1, 1902 Angelina Mirra died in Philadelphia...she was 20 months old, so she was born approx on may/June 1900..
I don't know if you're familiar with the Mormons and the family History centers... if you are you may try to ask them to rent this microfilm:
Title Birth registers, 1860-1903, for the city of Philadelphia
Authors Philadelphia (Pennsylvania). Board of Health (Main Author)
Birth index, 1900-1901
FHL US/CAN Film 1289358
And see if Angelina's names is recorded on Philadelphia Births and what was her birth date...
If she was born in Phila (as her parents's stated on her death certificate) you can establish the right period of they moving to Phila from NYC
Link to find your nearest Family History center:
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library ... et_fhc.asp
Good luck!
Laura
I believe that Liberata "Fannie" Mirra Tofani was really born in NYC, have you seen her 1920 census?
1920 United States Federal Census
about Fannie Tofani
Name: Fannie Tofani
Home in 1920: Philadelphia Ward 1, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Age: 20
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1900
Birthplace: New York
Relation to Head of House: Wife
Spouse's Name: Arturo Tofani
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Sex: Female
Able to read: Yes
Able to Write: Yes
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Arturo Tofani 35
Fannie Tofani 20
that birth certificate must be her!!!
Then, the family was in NYC - Manhattan on August 1899 while on february 1, 1902 Angelina Mirra died in Philadelphia...she was 20 months old, so she was born approx on may/June 1900..
I don't know if you're familiar with the Mormons and the family History centers... if you are you may try to ask them to rent this microfilm:
Title Birth registers, 1860-1903, for the city of Philadelphia
Authors Philadelphia (Pennsylvania). Board of Health (Main Author)
Birth index, 1900-1901
FHL US/CAN Film 1289358
And see if Angelina's names is recorded on Philadelphia Births and what was her birth date...
If she was born in Phila (as her parents's stated on her death certificate) you can establish the right period of they moving to Phila from NYC
Link to find your nearest Family History center:
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library ... et_fhc.asp
Good luck!
Laura
Re: 1900 Census missing
Laura I received the birth record today. Unfortunately it is not the correct one. The parents names are Giuseppe and Marianna and the sex of the child is Male, named: Liberte Mirra.
I am still planning to look into Angelina's birth record as well.
Thanks,
Jim
I am still planning to look into Angelina's birth record as well.
Thanks,
Jim

