I have pieced together all I can about my relatives who immigrated to the US. I have traced them back to what I think are 3 towns in Sicily.
Gammicchia goes back to Trapani and Monte San Guiliano (Erice)
Fanara goes back to Trapani and Erice as well
Pupillo and Franzone go back to Partinico, I think.
I will list the names of the furthest back relatives I'm positive about so maybe someone knows of their descendants still in Sicily or any info at all:
Stella Gammicchia (my greatgrandmother) married Paolo Fanara (my greatgranfather). (1905 ish?). He sailed to detroit Michigan in 1913. She sailed over with their daughters Francesca and Maria Fanara and her cousin Brigida Di Gaetano and Brigida's 2 boys Antonino and Alberto Gammicchia in 1921. The ship manifest lists them all from Trapani.
Brigida Di Gaetano's mother was Giuseppa Spano. (per ship manifest)
Stella Gammicchia's father who stayed in Sicily was Antonio Gammicchia. (per ship manifest)
I have also found ship records of a Giocomo Fanara and Vincenzo Fanara sailing from Monte San Guiliano in 1903 and 1912 respectively. Wondering if they are Paolo Fanara's brothers?
Paolo Fanara sailed from Trapani to Detroit in 1913 to join his brother-in-law Guiseppe Gammicchia. I believe Guiseppe Gammicchia came over to Detroit in 1907, leaving his wife Roza Peralta (sp?) in Monte San Guiliano. So I guess that makes Guiesppe Gammicchia a brother to my great grandmother Stella Gammicchia.
Sorry if this is very detailed and confusing, but I'm trying to put all names in here so maybe somebody can recognize something and help me piece the ancestry back further in Sicily.
I will post details about Pupillo and Franzone in another post. Thanks!
Searchin for Fanara, Gammicchia, Pupillo, Franzone of Sicily
-
PeterTimber
- Master

- Posts: 6811
- Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 18:57
- Location: Yonkers NY
Re: Searchin for Fanara, Gammicchia, Pupillo, Franzone of Si
Orient yourself so that you can piece your ancestry in a cohesive pattern.
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... earch.html and when satisfied you can send form letters for documents and records at will in Italian.
Go to http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... tters.html for sending requests to Italy which are normally free of charge.
TYou can also go to www.paginebianche.it for any potentialliving relatives and, if any, might wish to send a potential relative form letter in Italian by going to http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... etter.html
=Peter=
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... earch.html and when satisfied you can send form letters for documents and records at will in Italian.
Go to http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... tters.html for sending requests to Italy which are normally free of charge.
TYou can also go to www.paginebianche.it for any potentialliving relatives and, if any, might wish to send a potential relative form letter in Italian by going to http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... etter.html
=Peter=
~Peter~
Re: Searchin for Fanara, Gammicchia, Pupillo, Franzone of Si
Thanks very much for the helpful advice and websites you listed. I had not come across those yet.
Re: Searchin for Fanara, Gammicchia, Pupillo, Franzone of Si
My greatgrandmother's maiden name was Pupillo, from Rodi Garganico, Foggia, Pugglia, Italyjettagirl wrote:I have pieced together all I can about my relatives who immigrated to the US. I have traced them back to what I think are 3 towns in Sicily.
Gammicchia goes back to Trapani and Monte San Guiliano (Erice)
Fanara goes back to Trapani and Erice as well
Pupillo and Franzone go back to Partinico, I think.
I will list the names of the furthest back relatives I'm positive about so maybe someone knows of their descendants still in Sicily or any info at all:
Stella Gammicchia (my greatgrandmother) married Paolo Fanara (my greatgranfather). (1905 ish?). He sailed to detroit Michigan in 1913. She sailed over with their daughters Francesca and Maria Fanara and her cousin Brigida Di Gaetano and Brigida's 2 boys Antonino and Alberto Gammicchia in 1921. The ship manifest lists them all from Trapani.
Brigida Di Gaetano's mother was Giuseppa Spano. (per ship manifest)
Stella Gammicchia's father who stayed in Sicily was Antonio Gammicchia. (per ship manifest)
I have also found ship records of a Giocomo Fanara and Vincenzo Fanara sailing from Monte San Guiliano in 1903 and 1912 respectively. Wondering if they are Paolo Fanara's brothers?
Paolo Fanara sailed from Trapani to Detroit in 1913 to join his brother-in-law Guiseppe Gammicchia. I believe Guiseppe Gammicchia came over to Detroit in 1907, leaving his wife Roza Peralta (sp?) in Monte San Guiliano. So I guess that makes Guiesppe Gammicchia a brother to my great grandmother Stella Gammicchia.
Sorry if this is very detailed and confusing, but I'm trying to put all names in here so maybe somebody can recognize something and help me piece the ancestry back further in Sicily.
I will post details about Pupillo and Franzone in another post. Thanks!
Re: Searchin for Fanara, Gammicchia, Pupillo, Franzone of Si
I dont know if you have tryed the Family Search Library for birth/nati marriage and morti/ death records on microfilm looks like you have gotten most of your resaerch off Ancestry I would try films next of Trapani then write to Trapani as a last option. heres some info for you
Ordering films
https://wiki.familysearch.org/en/Orderi ... ory_Center
Libray Locator
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library ... et_fhc.asp
Films of Trapani
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library ... di+Trapani+++
Italian records
https://wiki.familysearch.org/en/Italy_ ... al_Records
reading italian records
http://familyhistory.byu.edu/Downloads/ ... ion_Guide/
Marty A
Ordering films
https://wiki.familysearch.org/en/Orderi ... ory_Center
Libray Locator
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library ... et_fhc.asp
Films of Trapani
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library ... di+Trapani+++
Italian records
https://wiki.familysearch.org/en/Italy_ ... al_Records
reading italian records
http://familyhistory.byu.edu/Downloads/ ... ion_Guide/
Marty A
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia
Marty
Marty
Re: Searchin for Fanara, Gammicchia, Pupillo, Franzone of Si
I know you weren't talking to me but I have a question. I went to familysearch and it said they do have the records for Rodi Garganico and then I went two days later and did a search and it says they do not have those records. Is it best to go in person to make sure? I didn't want to go if they don't have them.
