Requesting Land Records in Italy

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
Post Reply
User avatar
tomassid
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 50
Joined: 03 Mar 2011, 16:00

Requesting Land Records in Italy

Post by tomassid »

My grandfather was from Sardinia and rumor had it that his father sold some olive groves to fund the trip to America. Since the FHC doesn't have films with Land and tax records. Do I send to Stato Civile for those records? Thanks for any help. Dara
User avatar
arturo.c
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 231
Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 12:54
Location: Australia

Re: Requesting Land Records in Italy

Post by arturo.c »

Land records are not kept by the "Comune", but by the Office of Land Registry (catasto) which is now managed by the "Agenzia delle Entrate".

In order to find out about this particular case, you should contact the local branch of Agenzia delle Entrate in Sardinia and ask for a "Certificato storico catastale" in the name of your ancestor. It could show which land was his and when was it sold, to whom and for how much.
User avatar
tomassid
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 50
Joined: 03 Mar 2011, 16:00

Re: Requesting Land Records in Italy

Post by tomassid »

Thank you, I never thought I get an answer, I truly appreciate it.
User avatar
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master
Posts: 5228
Joined: 04 Aug 2008, 15:01
Location: Connecticut, USA

Re: Requesting Land Records in Italy

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Wow, I don't know how your original post went unanswered for so long; sorry about that!

You can find some general information here:

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~ilpip ... ecords.htm

https://wiki.familysearch.org/en/Italy_Notarial_Records

https://wiki.familysearch.org/en/Italy_Taxation

Here is one of a few known sites for companies that offer to help locate property and related records: http://www.landfinder.it/emigrant_aband ... _Italy.asp. I know nothing about this company nor others like it; only that they exist.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
User avatar
tomassid
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 50
Joined: 03 Mar 2011, 16:00

Re: Requesting Land Records in Italy

Post by tomassid »

Thanks so much Carmine.
Post Reply