Need Help Reading an Italian Name

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
User avatar
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master
Posts: 5228
Joined: 04 Aug 2008, 15:01
Location: Connecticut, USA

Re: Need Help Reading an Italian Name

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Same family in 1910. Something must have happened to the older child from 1900 (James L.) Note how the surname and given name of the father are evolving.

1910 United States Federal Census about Parilee Sefeno
Name: Parilee Sefeno
[Parilee Sifeno]
[Parilee Concord]
Age in 1910: 34
Estimated Birth Year: 1876
Birthplace: Alabama
Relation to Head of House: Wife
Father's Birth Place: South Carolina
Mother's Birth Place: Georgia
Spouse's Name: Joe Sefeno
Home in 1910: Precinct 25, Walker, Alabama
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Gender: Female
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Joe Sefeno 45
Parilee Sefeno 34
Maggie Sefeno 10
Frankey Sefeno 8
Mary Sefeno 5
Fred Frea 3
Tui Decoito 17


Image
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
User avatar
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master
Posts: 5228
Joined: 04 Aug 2008, 15:01
Location: Connecticut, USA

Re: Need Help Reading an Italian Name

Post by johnnyonthespot »

bhambamababe wrote:Yes I have all of those. I just thought the older document would be closer to the Real Italian Name.?!?!?
But they do give us hints, when combined with the other. Where did you find that document? Is it online somewhere?
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
User avatar
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master
Posts: 5228
Joined: 04 Aug 2008, 15:01
Location: Connecticut, USA

Re: Need Help Reading an Italian Name

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Wow; this is really the oddest case I have seen...

There should be a WWI Draft Registration card for this guy. I wonder what name is on it?

1930 United States Federal Census about Joe Safina
Name: Joe Safina
Home in 1930: Prospect, Walker, Alabama
View Map
Age: 66
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1864
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Head
Spouse's Name: Paralee Safina
Race: White
Occupation:

Education:

Military Service:

Rent/home value:

Age at first marriage:

Parents' birthplace: View image
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Joe Safina 66
Paralee Safina 51
Grady Safina 19


Image
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
User avatar
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master
Posts: 5228
Joined: 04 Aug 2008, 15:01
Location: Connecticut, USA

Re: Need Help Reading an Italian Name

Post by johnnyonthespot »

1920:

1920 United States Federal Census
about Joe Sefeno Name: Joe Sefeno
[Steve Concord]
[Joe Sefens]
[Joe Lefans]
[User-Submitted-Comment]
Home in 1920: Eldridge, Walker, Alabama
Age: 50
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1870
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Self (Head)
[Head]
Spouse's Name: Parlee Sefeno
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Sex: Male
Home owned: Own
Year of immigration: 1899
[1879]
Able to read: Yes
Able to Write: Yes
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Joe Sefeno 50
Parlee Sefeno 47
Frank Sefeno 17
Mary Sefeno 14
Fred Sefeno 13
Grady Sefeno 11


Image
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
User avatar
misbris
Master
Master
Posts: 2258
Joined: 14 Jan 2007, 00:00
Location: NJ

Re: Need Help Reading an Italian Name

Post by misbris »

This may be a stretch but, why don't you take a look at these records.

http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/EIDB ... ECTION=asc
User avatar
bhambamababe
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 13
Joined: 28 Mar 2011, 13:51

Re: Need Help Reading an Italian Name

Post by bhambamababe »

Now you see why I need Help! The marriage license isnt online that I can find. Went straight to the court house and found it.

This is about all the info I have... I do have census and naturalization papers but he didnt become a citzen until he was 71. And even then..he said they gave him another name.

He was an orphane in Italy and taken from the orphange by a man named Luigi Nepoti (sp?). Immigration wouldve been around 1894. DOB was around 1870 Rocca Canavese, torrino, Italy. Port of departure was Le Havre France and arrival was NY, NY. First lived in Spring Valley, ILL then moved to Birmingham, AL and married Paralee.

Years after his immigration a man who wouldve been his nephew in the adoptive family immigrated. I have found him on his ship thru Ancestry and Ellis Island. His name was Luigi Davito Gara. Luigis father seems to be Michale Davito Gara and maternal grandfather should be Luigi Nepote(sp?). I have also located Angela Nepote on a ship called Konigin Luise on July 18, 1907. She was traveling with Daviot Gara's and going to Birmingham, AL. Also was from Rocca Canavese, Rorrino, Italy.
User avatar
bhambamababe
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 13
Joined: 28 Mar 2011, 13:51

Re: Need Help Reading an Italian Name

Post by bhambamababe »

misbris wrote:This may be a stretch but, why don't you take a look at these records.

http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/EIDB ... ECTION=asc
I was hopeful at one point that the Serafino Concordia was the right one. But my Grandfather was only early 20's when he came over and his left Havre,France.
User avatar
jamiecapaldi
Master
Master
Posts: 691
Joined: 21 Sep 2009, 18:18
Location: Bristol, England, UK

Re: Need Help Reading an Italian Name

Post by jamiecapaldi »

Nepote is the correct spelling.

Have you considered Concordia?
NAMES: Capaldi-Tedesco-Tamilio-Minchella-Verrecchia-Tomasso-Franchitto-Innelli-Arpino-Caringi-Colacicco-Macari-Pinchera-Salera-D'Orazio-Ambrosino-Di Mambro-Sigliocolo-Masello
PLACES: Cassino- UK, USA, Ireland, Canada & Australia
http://www.cassino-families.co.uk
User avatar
bhambamababe
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 13
Joined: 28 Mar 2011, 13:51

Re: Need Help Reading an Italian Name

Post by bhambamababe »

Yes I have. I even went as far as to write to all Concordias in and around Turin. That didnt lead anywhere. :(
User avatar
jamiecapaldi
Master
Master
Posts: 691
Joined: 21 Sep 2009, 18:18
Location: Bristol, England, UK

Re: Need Help Reading an Italian Name

Post by jamiecapaldi »

Why dont you order the Baptism records from Torino, to try and find him?

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library ... umns=*,0,0
NAMES: Capaldi-Tedesco-Tamilio-Minchella-Verrecchia-Tomasso-Franchitto-Innelli-Arpino-Caringi-Colacicco-Macari-Pinchera-Salera-D'Orazio-Ambrosino-Di Mambro-Sigliocolo-Masello
PLACES: Cassino- UK, USA, Ireland, Canada & Australia
http://www.cassino-families.co.uk
User avatar
bhambamababe
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 13
Joined: 28 Mar 2011, 13:51

Re: Need Help Reading an Italian Name

Post by bhambamababe »

Just search for anything that could be the right name? Because I dont know what to look for here...and wouldnt they be in Italian?
dbc2014
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 46
Joined: 16 May 2014, 00:39

Re: Need Help Reading an Italian Name

Post by dbc2014 »

I am working on the Nepote-Brandolin family line, among others. I have (as a distant cousin) Luigi Nepote-Brandolin born 1891 in Rocca Canavese (his father is Michele) in my tree. Luigi had a sister Angela, and 4 brothers. Not sure if he is related to you, but thought I would share. Regards.
Post Reply