Church Records from Bivona, Agrigento, Sicily
Church Records from Bivona, Agrigento, Sicily
I am been fortunate to be able to trace my family back to 1800. At this point in order to further my research I would need to consult church records in Bivona. I cannot see that any of these records were microfilmed. Does anyone now of the existence of church records in Bivona? Does anyone have experience researching these records?
- tracisnails
- Rookie

- Posts: 40
- Joined: 19 Mar 2011, 18:00
Re: Church Records from Bivona, Agrigento, Sicily
my great grandfather is from Bivona also. I have only gone back to 1869 so far. Did the hall of records there tell you to go to the church records? Im glad I found your post
Re: Church Records from Bivona, Agrigento, Sicily
The civil records will only get you back to around 1820. Prior to that you would need to consult the parish church records.
- johnnyonthespot
- Master

- Posts: 5228
- Joined: 04 Aug 2008, 15:01
- Location: Connecticut, USA
Re: Church Records from Bivona, Agrigento, Sicily
You are unlikely to find church records anywhere other than at the church itself. You may find records are in anything from fair to horrible condition; you may even find that they were mostly destroyed during the invasion of Sicily in WWII
Options for a single record, or at most a few, are to write to the parish priest and request a search be performed, being sure to include an offering of €5 to €20.
For more extensive research, you would have to contact the parish and request permission to personally review the records or hire a local researcher to do the work for you.
Currently, there appear to be just two parishes within Bivona. See http://www.paginegialle.it/pgol/4-chiesa/3-Bivona
Options for a single record, or at most a few, are to write to the parish priest and request a search be performed, being sure to include an offering of €5 to €20.
For more extensive research, you would have to contact the parish and request permission to personally review the records or hire a local researcher to do the work for you.
Currently, there appear to be just two parishes within Bivona. See http://www.paginegialle.it/pgol/4-chiesa/3-Bivona
Carmine
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
- tracisnails
- Rookie

- Posts: 40
- Joined: 19 Mar 2011, 18:00
Re: Church Records from Bivona, Agrigento, Sicily
johnnyonthespot wrote:You are unlikely to find church records anywhere other than at the church itself. You may find records are in anything from fair to horrible condition; you may even find that they were mostly destroyed during the invasion of Sicily in WWII
Options for a single record, or at most a few, are to write to the parish priest and request a search be performed, being sure to include an offering of €5 to €20.
For more extensive research, you would have to contact the parish and request permission to personally review the records or hire a local researcher to do the work for you.
Do you send Euro or American money. Dumb question I know but not much of a world traveler so have no clue about what they prefer...lol. I wish I can call them and get the information I need but do not speak italian. The language died in our family when my nana passed in the 80's.
Thanks again,
Traci
Currently, there appear to be just two parishes within Bivona. See http://www.paginegialle.it/pgol/4-chiesa/3-Bivona
Re: Church Records from Bivona, Agrigento, Sicily
Maybe this can offer some guidance 
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... rishpriest
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... tter4.html
T.
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... rishpriest
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... tter4.html
T.
- tracisnails
- Rookie

- Posts: 40
- Joined: 19 Mar 2011, 18:00
Re: Church Records from Bivona, Agrigento, Sicily
Thank you so much that is perfect! I will send it off today! I really do appreciate your help. 
Traci Bullara
Traci Bullara