Letter requesting birth certificate
Letter requesting birth certificate
I've been looking at a number of different templates to request documents from Italy and have come up with a letter that I'm hoping makes sense. I'd be very appreciative of any comments or corrections I should make before sending my request.
Thanks in advance, Maria
........................................
Ufficio Stato Civile
Comune di Palermo
Piazza Giulio Cesare, 1
90127 Palermo (PA)
Egregio Signore/Gentile Signora,
Sono una cittadina americana discendente da Italiani e sto cercando di ottenere la cittadinanza italiana jure sanguinis. Per questo richiedo, cortesemente l'atta di nascita di mio nonno:
Cognome e nome:
Data di nascita:
Luogo di nascita:
Padre:
Madre:
L'atta di nascita dovrebbe essere quello su modulo plurilingüe, contenenti i nomi dei genitori, in carta semplice e con le eventuali annotazioni marginali. Mi permetto di precisare che dovendo presentare le copie conformi all'originale, mi occorrono certificati con timbro e firma originali.
Se ci saranno spese da sostenere Vi prego di comunicarmelo e sarà mia cura inviarvi quanto dovuto a stretto giro di posta.
Vi ringrazio in anticipo e Vi porgo i miei cordiali saluti,
(signed w/my full name, email and home address)
Thanks in advance, Maria
........................................
Ufficio Stato Civile
Comune di Palermo
Piazza Giulio Cesare, 1
90127 Palermo (PA)
Egregio Signore/Gentile Signora,
Sono una cittadina americana discendente da Italiani e sto cercando di ottenere la cittadinanza italiana jure sanguinis. Per questo richiedo, cortesemente l'atta di nascita di mio nonno:
Cognome e nome:
Data di nascita:
Luogo di nascita:
Padre:
Madre:
L'atta di nascita dovrebbe essere quello su modulo plurilingüe, contenenti i nomi dei genitori, in carta semplice e con le eventuali annotazioni marginali. Mi permetto di precisare che dovendo presentare le copie conformi all'originale, mi occorrono certificati con timbro e firma originali.
Se ci saranno spese da sostenere Vi prego di comunicarmelo e sarà mia cura inviarvi quanto dovuto a stretto giro di posta.
Vi ringrazio in anticipo e Vi porgo i miei cordiali saluti,
(signed w/my full name, email and home address)
Re: Letter requesting birth certificate
It depends: do you need a complete copy of the original act of birth or a simple certificate?
In the first case, here is my version:
Comune di Palermo
Ufficio Stato Civile
Piazza Giulio Cesare, 1
90127 Palermo (PA)
OGGETTO: richiesta atto di nascita ai sensi dell'art. 107 del DPR 396/2000
Ai fini dell'ottenimento della cittadinanza italiana jure sanguinis, io sottoscritta [your name and surname], nata a [your place of birth] il [your date of birth] residente in [place of residence], richiedo cortesemente copia integrale dell'atto di nascita di mio nonno:
Cognome e nome: [surname/name]
Data di nascita: [date of birth]
Luogo di nascita: [place of birth]
Padre: [name of his father]
Madre: [name of his mother]
Data [date] Firma [sign]
There is no need to specify other things. Remember that for italian law this kind of service has no cost. Usually they require the envelope and the stamp to send you the copy. You can just include them in your request. You can also contact them by phone 0039.917403732 or by email serviziostatocivile@comune.palermo.it
In the first case, here is my version:
Comune di Palermo
Ufficio Stato Civile
Piazza Giulio Cesare, 1
90127 Palermo (PA)
OGGETTO: richiesta atto di nascita ai sensi dell'art. 107 del DPR 396/2000
Ai fini dell'ottenimento della cittadinanza italiana jure sanguinis, io sottoscritta [your name and surname], nata a [your place of birth] il [your date of birth] residente in [place of residence], richiedo cortesemente copia integrale dell'atto di nascita di mio nonno:
Cognome e nome: [surname/name]
Data di nascita: [date of birth]
Luogo di nascita: [place of birth]
Padre: [name of his father]
Madre: [name of his mother]
Data [date] Firma [sign]
There is no need to specify other things. Remember that for italian law this kind of service has no cost. Usually they require the envelope and the stamp to send you the copy. You can just include them in your request. You can also contact them by phone 0039.917403732 or by email serviziostatocivile@comune.palermo.it
Re: Letter requesting birth certificate
I'm requesting a complete copy of the original birth record so this is perfect. Thank you so much!
I have two questions before I send my letter:
1. I have an old copy of my gf's birth record that he requested in a visit to Palermo in 1958. It is a "Copia integrale di atto di nascita". I also have a copy of the "Estratto dal Registro degli Atti di Nascita". Would it be of any help if I send a copy of these documents with my request to facilitate locating the original record?
2. I will send my request with a self-addressed envelope but about the stamp, I'm assuming it should be an International Reply Coupon, right?
Thank you again for your help, it is much appreciated.
Maria
I have two questions before I send my letter:
1. I have an old copy of my gf's birth record that he requested in a visit to Palermo in 1958. It is a "Copia integrale di atto di nascita". I also have a copy of the "Estratto dal Registro degli Atti di Nascita". Would it be of any help if I send a copy of these documents with my request to facilitate locating the original record?
2. I will send my request with a self-addressed envelope but about the stamp, I'm assuming it should be an International Reply Coupon, right?
Thank you again for your help, it is much appreciated.
Maria
- liviomoreno
- Master

- Posts: 7116
- Joined: 13 Feb 2004, 00:00
- Location: Rome, Italy
- Contact:
Re: Letter requesting birth certificate
If you already have "Copia integrale di atto di nascita" and "Estratto dal Registro degli Atti di Nascita", and they are stamped and signed by the town hall why would you request them again?
Re: Letter requesting birth certificate
Because these are copies of the original certified documents my grandfather received from the comune. I should have mentioned that fact in my message.
- johnnyonthespot
- Master

- Posts: 5228
- Joined: 04 Aug 2008, 15:01
- Location: Connecticut, USA
Re: Letter requesting birth certificate
It won't hurt to send the copies along although probably not necessary.
International Reply Coupons can be exceedingly difficult to find, even at major post offices. Also, we hear that most comuni either don't know what to do with them or consider them not worth the bother and they are often returned with the requested documents.
The experience of most people here when dealing with comuni is that requests for birth/marriage/death certificates are either ignored (my paternal grandparent's comune) or mailed propmtly and at no charge (my maternal grandparents comune).
International Reply Coupons can be exceedingly difficult to find, even at major post offices. Also, we hear that most comuni either don't know what to do with them or consider them not worth the bother and they are often returned with the requested documents.
The experience of most people here when dealing with comuni is that requests for birth/marriage/death certificates are either ignored (my paternal grandparent's comune) or mailed propmtly and at no charge (my maternal grandparents comune).
Carmine
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
Re: Letter requesting birth certificate
Maria it cost now 1.60 Euro for a return letter from Italy I think with the number of people now researching family history alot of places now with the economy dont want to put out money so alot of times you dont get a reply.If you need a couple italian stamps for the return envelope leave me a private message I will send them to you.........
Marty
Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia
Marty
Marty
Re: Letter requesting birth certificate
I sent the letter yesterday and I included the old copies I have, a self-addressed envelope and the Italian stamps Marty so kindly sent to me. Thank you everyone for your help, it is much appreciated.
Maria
Maria
Re: Letter requesting birth certificate
I received this morning an email from the Civil Record Officer asking for a copy of my ID to be sent via fax. I just faxed a copy of my passport but I also want to send another copy as an email attachment just in case my fax didn't go through (our land line is with Magic Jack).
I wrote the following short note and would like to have it proofread here. Thank you in advance.
Gentilissimo Sig Castronovo,
Ho inviato una copia del mio passaporto via fax però nel caso non arrivasse, vi ci invio anche questa copia in file PDF.
Ringraziandovi in anticipo, vi porgo i miei cordiali saluti.
I wrote the following short note and would like to have it proofread here. Thank you in advance.
Gentilissimo Sig Castronovo,
Ho inviato una copia del mio passaporto via fax però nel caso non arrivasse, vi ci invio anche questa copia in file PDF.
Ringraziandovi in anticipo, vi porgo i miei cordiali saluti.
- liviomoreno
- Master

- Posts: 7116
- Joined: 13 Feb 2004, 00:00
- Location: Rome, Italy
- Contact:
Re: Letter requesting birth certificate
Gentilissimo Sig Castronovo,
Ho inviato una copia del mio passaporto via fax però nel caso non fosse arrivata, Le invio anche questa copia in file PDF.
RingraziandoLa in anticipo, Le porgo i miei cordiali saluti.
Ho inviato una copia del mio passaporto via fax però nel caso non fosse arrivata, Le invio anche questa copia in file PDF.
RingraziandoLa in anticipo, Le porgo i miei cordiali saluti.
Re: Letter requesting birth certificate
Mille grazie Livio!

