Correcting Father's 1910 BC
Re: Correcting Father's 1910 BC
Sforza, do you mind me asking what the name discrepancy was and what it was changed to? Also I just sent my document to vital records but they refused to change it - how do I make sure I get it to the lady? Would going down myself be better as I just mailed mine in and got a rejection letter
Re: Correcting Father's 1910 BC
It was my grandfather's birth cert. His father, my great grandfather, replaced his legal middle name as appeared on his NYC birth cert with his confirmation name. I got the middle name changed back. I'm in the process of doing the same thing for him on my grandfather's marriage and death certs. Further, my grandfather did the same thing to his own middle name - dropped the one on the birth cert for a confirmation name - so I'm changing them on those same marriage and death certs, as well as on my father's birth and marriage certs. I'm doing this at three different vital records agencies in two states.
Re: Ms. Timbers, send it to her attention. I did the entire thing through the mail. Make sure you send all supporting documentation - originals plus a copy, and that you fill out the application. Also send proof of relationship. I also put a cover note explaining exactly what was needed, as well as a copy of the Consulate's requirements that errors/variations be amended. Finally, I sent my father's dual citizenship application. But by all means, if you're close enough, go down there. It takes awhile for correspondence to get from the mailroom to the corrections unit.
The only disappointment was how cheesy the end product appeared: NYC Code dicates how to correct a vital record - they're supposed to cross out the erroneous info and write the correct info above it. So his birth cert literally has the offending confirmation name with a line through it and the birth middle names (in my GGF's case, he had two) written above it. This actually makes better sense than creating a new record since more mistakes can be introduced by typing everything all over again.
Despite the cheesy appearance, it's certified and exemplified, and I'm using it to change all the rest of the vital records in this line. Thanks to Ms. Edna Timbers. Hope this helps.
Re: Ms. Timbers, send it to her attention. I did the entire thing through the mail. Make sure you send all supporting documentation - originals plus a copy, and that you fill out the application. Also send proof of relationship. I also put a cover note explaining exactly what was needed, as well as a copy of the Consulate's requirements that errors/variations be amended. Finally, I sent my father's dual citizenship application. But by all means, if you're close enough, go down there. It takes awhile for correspondence to get from the mailroom to the corrections unit.
The only disappointment was how cheesy the end product appeared: NYC Code dicates how to correct a vital record - they're supposed to cross out the erroneous info and write the correct info above it. So his birth cert literally has the offending confirmation name with a line through it and the birth middle names (in my GGF's case, he had two) written above it. This actually makes better sense than creating a new record since more mistakes can be introduced by typing everything all over again.
Despite the cheesy appearance, it's certified and exemplified, and I'm using it to change all the rest of the vital records in this line. Thanks to Ms. Edna Timbers. Hope this helps.

