I am translating a marriage record and I could really use some help.
"Dinanziame Cataldo Morgese assessore pel Sindaco Ufficiale dello Stato Civile del Commune suddetto lir condario e Provincia di Bari, e alla presenza di Nicola Orofino fu Vito di anni quarantotto, musico e di Stefano Procacci fu Pasquale di annu quarantuno uirleam fo domiciliati Casamassima, testimone diechi dai dichiaranta in azzrefso delignati"
This is what I have so far...
"Before me Cataldo Morgese municipal mayor of the official civil state of the town previously mentioned in the province of Bari, is presented Nicola orphaned to the late vito of 48, music(?)"
I would appreciate it if anyone could correct any errors for what I have so far and help me finish it. I got a little confused toward the end.
Thanks!
Translation of Marriage Record
Re: Translation of Marriage Record
stargazer200529 wrote:I am translating a marriage record and I could really use some help.
"Dinanziame Cataldo Morgese assessore pel Sindaco Ufficiale dello Stato Civile del Commune suddetto lir condario e Provincia di Bari, e alla presenza di Nicola Orofino fu Vito di anni quarantotto, musico e di Stefano Procacci fu Pasquale di annu quarantuno uirleam fo domiciliati Casamassima, testimone diechi dai dichiaranta in azzrefso delignati"
This is what I have so far...
"Before me Cataldo Morgese municipal mayor of the official civil state of the town previously mentioned in the province of Bari, is presented Nicola orphaned to the late vito of 48, music(?)"
I would appreciate it if anyone could correct any errors for what I have so far and help me finish it. I got a little confused toward the end.
Thanks!
Your translator has translated Nicola's surname "Orofino" as "orphaned." Nicola is the son of deceased Vito, and is 48 years old. Could the word after his age be "musicista?"
It would be MUCH better if you could just post the image! Try postimage.org and copy and paste the forum link in this post.
T.
- stargazer200529
- Rookie

- Posts: 45
- Joined: 13 Oct 2010, 17:39
Re: Translation of Marriage Record
I had trouble uploading it because of the file size. I had to take down some the quality. Let me know if this doesn't work and I can try something else.
Thanks for your help
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/83 ... hrink.jpg/
Thanks for your help
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/83 ... hrink.jpg/
- stargazer200529
- Rookie

- Posts: 45
- Joined: 13 Oct 2010, 17:39
Re: Translation of Marriage Record
I attempted my own translation, I didn't get very far, and I don't think some of it is right.
The year 1874 on the 11 of August at 8 in the afternoon at the Office of the Civil State for the town of Casamassima.
Before me Cataldo Morgese, municipal mayor of the official civil state of the town previously mentioned in the province of Bari, is presented Nicola orphaned to the late vito of 48, musician and of Stefano Procacci of the late Pasquale of 41 years, both sides living in Casamassima, were chosen to witness the declaration ?
I am ? Nicola Fortunato, more than thirty years single, a peasant born in a house in Casamassima, son of the late Vito Leonardo and of the living Vita Grazia Calisa, seamstress living with her daughters.
And Cassandra Lusca, single more than twenty four years, a seamstress born in a house in Casamassima, daughter of Francsco and Angela Laudo, peasants living with the daughter and in which the intent of joining together in matrimony ?
The certificate that I have presented ?
The year 1874 on the 11 of August at 8 in the afternoon at the Office of the Civil State for the town of Casamassima.
Before me Cataldo Morgese, municipal mayor of the official civil state of the town previously mentioned in the province of Bari, is presented Nicola orphaned to the late vito of 48, musician and of Stefano Procacci of the late Pasquale of 41 years, both sides living in Casamassima, were chosen to witness the declaration ?
I am ? Nicola Fortunato, more than thirty years single, a peasant born in a house in Casamassima, son of the late Vito Leonardo and of the living Vita Grazia Calisa, seamstress living with her daughters.
And Cassandra Lusca, single more than twenty four years, a seamstress born in a house in Casamassima, daughter of Francsco and Angela Laudo, peasants living with the daughter and in which the intent of joining together in matrimony ?
The certificate that I have presented ?
Re: Translation of Marriage Record
Nice job...stargazer200529 wrote:I attempted my own translation, I didn't get very far, and I don't think some of it is right.
The year 1874 on the 11 of August at 8 in the afternoon at the Office of the Civil State for the town of Casamassima.
Before me Cataldo Morgese, municipal mayor of the official civil state of the town previously mentioned in the province of Bari, is presented Nicola Orofino son of the late vito of 48, musician and of Stefano Procacci of the late Pasquale of 41 years, both living in Casamassima, were chosen to witness the declaration ?
Appeared Nicola Fortunato, more than thirty years single, a peasant born in a house in Casamassima, son of the late Vito Leonardo and of the living Vita Grazia Calise, seamstress living with her daughter.
And Cassandra Susca, single more than twenty four years, a seamstress born in a house in Casamassima, daughter of Francsco and Angela Laudo, peasants living with the daughter and in which the intent of joining together in matrimony ?
The certificate that I have presented ?
T.
- liviomoreno
- Master

- Posts: 7116
- Joined: 13 Feb 2004, 00:00
- Location: Rome, Italy
- Contact:
Re: Translation of Marriage Record
The year 1874 on the 11 of August at 8 in the afternoon at the Office of the Civil State for the town of Casamassima.stargazer200529 wrote:I attempted my own translation, I didn't get very far, and I don't think some of it is right.
The year 1874 on the 11 of August at 8 in the afternoon at the Office of the Civil State for the town of Casamassima.
Before me Cataldo Morgese, municipal mayor of the official civil state of the town previously mentioned in the province of Bari, is presented Nicola orphaned to the late vito of 48, musician and of Stefano Procacci of the late Pasquale of 41 years, both sides living in Casamassima, were chosen to witness the declaration ?
I am ? Nicola Fortunato, more than thirty years single, a peasant born in a house in Casamassima, son of the late Vito Leonardo and of the living Vita Grazia Calisa, seamstress living with her daughters.
And Cassandra Lusca, single more than twenty four years, a seamstress born in a house in Casamassima, daughter of Francsco and Angela Laudo, peasants living with the daughter and in which the intent of joining together in matrimony ?
The certificate that I have presented ?
Before me Cataldo Morgese, municipal mayor of the official civil state of the town previously mentioned in the province of Bari, in the presence of Nicola Orofino, son of the late Vito, aged 48, musician and of Stefano Procacci, son of the late Pasquale, aged 41, both living in Casamassima, witnesses chosen by the declarants:
Appeared Nicola Fortunato, single, major (of age), thirty years old, peasant born and living in Casamassima, son of the late Vito Leonardo and of the living Vita Grazia Calisa, spinner, living with his son.
And (also appeared) Cassandra Susca, single, major (of age), twenty four years old, spinner born and living in Casamassima, daughter of Francesco and Angela Lando, peasants living with the daughter, who (Nicola and Cassandra), in the intention to be joined in matrimony, were already informed about the regulation of the law when they requested the marriage banns and produced all the documents that are now annexed in the Marriage banns book-register.
...
- stargazer200529
- Rookie

- Posts: 45
- Joined: 13 Oct 2010, 17:39
Re: Translation of Marriage Record
So is this an intent to marry?
- liviomoreno
- Master

- Posts: 7116
- Joined: 13 Feb 2004, 00:00
- Location: Rome, Italy
- Contact:
Re: Translation of Marriage Record
I believe it is the actual marriage record and to be sure 110% the second page is needed.
The last paragraph in this page states:
"I have read to the spouses the art. #130, 131,# and 132# of the Civil Code and then the spouses have declared, one after the other, in the presence of the witnesses, that they want respectively"
The second page should read
"take the other one as spouse and I have declared them to be husband and wife..."
The last paragraph in this page states:
"I have read to the spouses the art. #130, 131,# and 132# of the Civil Code and then the spouses have declared, one after the other, in the presence of the witnesses, that they want respectively"
The second page should read
"take the other one as spouse and I have declared them to be husband and wife..."