If I renounce my US citizenship does it affect eligibility?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
grandpa77
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 52
Joined: 24 Jun 2011, 04:44

Re: If I renounce my US citizenship does it affect eligibili

Post by grandpa77 »

Awesome, where did you get that great info?

I naturalized and got my 2nd citizenship this year. So then I'm probably still eligible for the Italian program even if I renounce my US citizenship this year?


If you received another citizenship automatically (through marriage, birth, etc.), it's not a problem. If, however, you naturalized to obtain that citizenship and did so before 1992, you lost Italian citizenship at that time. If you naturalized after 1992, it's not an issue
User avatar
mler
Master
Master
Posts: 2515
Joined: 01 Apr 2006, 00:00

Re: If I renounce my US citizenship does it affect eligibili

Post by mler »

The citizenship law of 1992 permitted Italians to hold more than one citizenship. Until that time, Italians who naturalized lost Italian citizenship, but this was no longer true after that date.

Be certain that the country with which you also hold citizenship permits you to hold multiple citizenships too.
User avatar
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master
Posts: 525
Joined: 12 Sep 2010, 19:39

Re: If I renounce my US citizenship does it affect eligibili

Post by sceaminmonkey »

Just out of curiosity. Why would you renounce American citizenship if it does not affect your eligibility ?
grandpa77
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 52
Joined: 24 Jun 2011, 04:44

Re: If I renounce my US citizenship does it affect eligibili

Post by grandpa77 »

I'm going to renounce. But if not being a US citizen affects my eligibility for italian citizenship then I can postpone renouncing US citizenship until I get my Italian Citizenship.
User avatar
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master
Posts: 525
Joined: 12 Sep 2010, 19:39

Re: If I renounce my US citizenship does it affect eligibili

Post by sceaminmonkey »

but why renounce at all?
User avatar
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master
Posts: 5228
Joined: 04 Aug 2008, 15:01
Location: Connecticut, USA

Re: If I renounce my US citizenship does it affect eligibili

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Some people do this as a political statement, some (especially the very wealthy) might do it as a means to avoid regular and/or estate taxes.

Grandpa, my only question would be to inquire what is your current second citizenship? There is, I suppose, a small possibility that the answer - if this were your only citizenship - may affect your jure sanguinis case.

However, in general terms, your jure sanguinis case is all about presenting proof that you were born a citizen of Italy and have not done anything to relinguish that citizenship. Renouncing your US citizenship, in and of itself, should not impact your jure sanguinis case.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
Post Reply