Looking for my great grandfather--Steve Calderone

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Looking for my great grandfather--Steve Calderone

Post by suanj »

My dear!
I am positive that the your suggestion abt this census:
1920 United States Federal Census about Joseph Calverone
Name: Joseph Calverone
[Joseph Calderone]

Home in 1920: Grosse Tete, Iberville, Louisiana
Age: 60
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1860
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Head
Spouse's Name: Virgie Calverone
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Sex: Male
Home owned: Rent
Year of immigration: 1888
Able to read: No
Able to Write: No
Neighbors: View others on page

Household Members: Name Age
Joseph Calverone imm. 1888
60
Virgie Calverone imm. 1888
48
Rosie Calverone
17
Josephine Calverone
15
Jennie Calverone
11
Lena Calverone
8
Joseph Calverone
5
Virgie Calverone
3 6/12
Samuel Calverone
9/12

pag 1 Image
pag 2 Image

it is right! Because same family:

1910 United States Federal Census
about Joseph Corturona
Name: Joseph Corturona
Age in 1910: 48
Estimated Birth Year: 1862
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Head
[Self (Head)]
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Spouse's Name: Virginia Corturona
Home in 1910: Police Jury Ward 7, Iberville, Louisiana
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Gender: Male
Year of immigration: 1889
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Joseph Corturona 48
Virginia Corturona 30

Steven Corturona 19
Josephina Corturona 5
Johnie Corturona 2
Mattie Cero* 9 stepdaughter(?) b. IT
Rose Cero* 6 stepdaughter b. LA

* surname spelling??
pag 1 Image
pag 2 Image

so we must find the 1900 census of Joseph Calderone :wink:
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Looking for my great grandfather--Steve Calderone

Post by suanj »

in 1910 census, it was also a Jam.. (or Ignazio/Ignace)Corturona (Calderone), age unreadable... maybe 29 old (??), with Seraphina (or Josephine??) wife age...(??) and I am pretty sure that this couple are relative of Joseph Calderone as a well another family:

1910 United States Federal Census about Tony Calckrone
Name: Tony Calckrone
Age in 1910: 37
Estimated Birth Year: 1873
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Head
[Self (Head)]
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Spouse's Name: Josephine Calckrnoe
Home in 1910: Police Jury Ward 3, Iberville, Louisiana
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Gender: Male
Year of immigration: 1889
Neighbors: View others on page

Household Members: Name Age
Tony Calckrone imm. 1889
37
Josephine Calckrnoe
32
Dorcus Calckrnoe
15
Maggie Calckrnoe
13


in 1920:
1920 United States Federal Census about Tong Calderone
Name: Tong Calderone
[Tony Calderone]
Home in 1920: Grosse Tete, Iberville, Louisiana
Age: 50
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1870
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Head
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Marital Status: Widow
Race: White
Sex: Male
Home owned: Rent
Year of immigration: 1898
Able to read: No
Able to Write: No

Neighbors: View others on page

Household Members: Name Age
Tong Calderone
50


------------------
back to Joseph Calderone, I cannot find the 1930 census by ancestry.com, but by familysearch:

United States Census, 1930 for Jos Calderone
Name: Jos Calderone
Event: Census
Event Date: 1930
Event Place: , Iberville, Louisiana
Gender: Male
Age: 68
Marital Status: Married
Race:
Birthplace: Italy
Estimated Birth Year: 1862
Immigration Year: 1890
Relationship to Head of Household: Head
Father's Birthplace: Italy
Mother's Birthplace: Italy
Enumeration District Number:
Family Number: 167
Sheet Number and Letter: 8A
Line Number: 10
NARA Publication:
Film Number: 2340530
Digital Folder Number: 4584879
Image Number: 00409
Household Gender Age
Jos Calderone M 68
Spouse Virgie Calderone F 49
Child Josie Calderone F 25
Child Janie Calderone F 21
Child Lena Calderone F 17
Child Joe Calderone M 14
Child Virgie Calderone F 13
Child Sam Calderone M 10

image no available.. :?

your suggestions?
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Looking for my great grandfather--Steve Calderone

Post by suanj »

well, searching more abt Calderone family, hoping of to find the italian birthplace of Giuseppe/Joseph Calderone( Steven's father), and thinking that Tony Calderone was the brother of Giuseppe/Joseph, by 1910 census we know that he had 2 daughters:
Dorcus( spell??) Calckrnoe(Calderone)
15 old
Maggie Calckrnoe (Calderone)
13 old


I am positive abt that:
Maggie Calderone (daughter of Tony and Josephine Calderone)married at Salvatore Marfia and lived in San Jose, CA also:

1930 United States Federal Census about Salvatore Marfia
Name: Salvatore Marfia
Home in 1930: San Jose, Santa Clara, California
View Map

Age: 43

Estimated Birth Year: abt 1887
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Head
Spouse's Name: Maggie Marfia
Race: White
Occupation:

Education:

Military Service:

Rent/home value:

Age at first marriage:

Parents' birthplace:
View image

Neighbors: View others on page

Household Members: Name Age
Salvatore Marfia
43 imm. 1905 ( abt)
Maggie Marfia
35
Lena Marfia
15
Marie Marfia
14
Consetine Marfia
10
John Marfia*6


*
California Birth Index, 1905-1995
about John Joseph Marfia Name: John Joseph Marfia
Birth Date: 10 Jan 1924
Gender: Male
Mother's Maiden Name: Calderone
Birth County: Santa Clara

death:
Social Security Death Index
about John J. Marfia
Name: John J. Marfia
SSN: XXXXXXXXXXXX
Last Residence: 95020 Gilroy, Santa Clara, California
Born: 10 Jan 1924
Died: 27 May 2005
State (Year) SSN issued: California (1952)

some other info:
http://files.usgwarchives.net/ca/santac ... rys-mq.txt

Maggie must be the cousin of your Steve Calderone, if my idea is right :D .....

Salvatore/Sam Marfia was born in Parco; currently, this town in Palermo province( Sicily region) have a different name: ALTOFONTE..

World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918
about Sam Marfia Name: Sam Marfia
County: Santa Clara
State: California
Birthplace: Italy
Birth Date: 28 Oct 1886
Race: Italian
FHL Roll Number: 1544330
DraftBoard: 2


born in Parco( aka Altofonte)..

the arrival:
New Orleans Passenger Lists, 1820-1945
about Salvatore Marfia
Name: Salvatore Marfia
Arrival Date: 17 Oct 1904
Age: 17
Gender: Male
Ethnic Background: Italian (South) (Italian)
Port of Departure: Palermo, Italy
Ship Name: Liguria
Port of Arrival: New Orleans, Louisiana
Friend's Name: Molesnad
Last Residence: Parco
National Archives' Series Number: T905

so married at Maggie Calderone and they moved in San Jose, CA

Sam Marfia death:
California Death Index, 1940-1997
about Sam Marfia
Name: Sam Marfia
Social Security #: XXXXXXXXX
Sex: Male
Birth Date: 28 Oct 1886
Birthplace: Italy
Death Date: 20 Feb 1966
Death Place: Santa Clara


I am positive that also Giuseppe Calderone as a well Tony Calderone coming from Palermo area

California Death Index, 1940-1997 about Margaret C Marfia
Name: Margaret C Marfia
[Margaret C Calderoni]
Social Security #: XXXXXXXXX
Sex: Female
Birth Date: 15 Jul 1894
Birthplace: Louisiana
Death Date: 1 Dec 1983
Death Place: Santa Clara
Mother's Maiden Name: Turtucci( spell?)
Father's Surname: Calderoni


I believe that some living Marfias could be helpful for to know more abt your Steve, who know...?
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
User avatar
labellaviola
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: 16 Jul 2011, 04:11
Location: Arizona, USA

Re: Looking for my great grandfather--Steve Calderone

Post by labellaviola »

My goodness, I am overwhelmed!! Thank you!

I do remember that my grandfather John, used to say that the Calderone's were from Palermo so, your findings could be correct. It is very curious about Steve's name...I need to do more research as to what his birth name could have been. I do believe that you are also correct about Steve's parents being Joseph (Giuseppe) and Virgie. I am curious about Virgie's name as the census lists her as being from Italy...is there an Italian derivative of Virginia? Obviously, I would like to know more about Giuseppe Calderone and his mother and father as well. Regarding the Marfia family, Santa Clara is definitely a known residence of Steve. I will need to see if any one in the Marfia family would be willing to speak with me.

How exciting to learn all of this!
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Looking for my great grandfather--Steve Calderone

Post by suanj »

My dear! I wish say just some my suggestions.
In 1910 census:

1910 United States Federal Census
about Joseph Corturona
Name: Joseph Corturona
Age in 1910: 48
Estimated Birth Year: 1862
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Head
[Self (Head)]
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Spouse's Name: Virginia Corturona
Home in 1910: Police Jury Ward 7, Iberville, Louisiana
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Gender: Male
Year of immigration: 1889
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Joseph Corturona 48
Virginia Corturona 30
Steven Corturona 19
Josephina Corturona 5
Johnie Corturona 2
Mattie Cero* 9 stepdaughter(?) b. IT
Rose Cero* 6 stepdaughter b. LA
* surname spelling??


if you read the ages of Steven and Josephine(Steven sister) it are a big difference...
also the 2 stepdaughters: one was born in Italy around 1900/1...

So my suggestion is:
Giuseppe Calderone as single man immigrated in USA; married in Louisiana and had Steven; the first wife died and, second my opinion Virgie is the second wife; I know tha Virgie declared that had 2 children, as a well 2 living, but if you read the years of marriage, Joseph declared a number and Virgie another number; I can understand that many errors are usual in the old censuses, and this 1910 census abt the Calderones, it is no much readable, but something let me to think that Virgie was no the first wife of Giuseppe/Joseph; Steven also called the oldest son Joseph and the oldest daughter Mary and no Virgie...
So seeming to me that Virgie was no Steven mother; because between Steven age and Josephine age are a big gap....
so who know...?
I cannot find the family in 1900 census; that can be helpful for to know more abt Steven parents.... I searched also in the arrival and only 1 record seeming probable:
New Orleans Passenger Lists, 1820-1945 about Guiseppe Calderone
Name: Guiseppe Calderone
Arrival Date: 26 Mar 1883
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Port of Departure: Le Havre, France
Ship Name: Marseille
Port of Arrival: New Orleans, Louisiana
National Archives' Series Number: M259_65

and this arrival it is the probable arrival abt Tony Calderone:
New Orleans Passenger Lists, 1820-1945 about Antonino Calderon
Name: Antonino Calderon
Arrival Date: 28 Oct 1889
Age: 16
Gender: Male
Port of Departure: Palermo, Italy
Ship Name: Letimbro
Port of Arrival: New Orleans, Louisiana
National Archives' Series Number: M259_73

but it is hard to say if they are rights or not.....
for to find the probable place we must know more abt Giuseppe; the name is pretty common, however Palermo area is most probable, maybe he coming from Trabia or Termini Imerese towns, where the surname is popular...
my hope is of to find the 1900 census abt Joseph Calderone and also abt Tony (Antonino/Antonio) Calderone... I no found Tony Calderone WWI draft registration card, that in the hope of to know the italian birthplace...
so only some Marfias can say where Maggie father was born in Italy if remembering...
on ancestry .com it are a genealogic tree abt" Salvatore Sam Marfia" Birth: 1886 - Italy

owner:JudyDillon4974
it is a personal genealogic tree... if is the genealogic tree abt right Salvatore Marfia married at Maggie Calderone, maybe you can know more abt the family
if you contact it by ancestry.com....
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
User avatar
labellaviola
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: 16 Jul 2011, 04:11
Location: Arizona, USA

Re: Looking for my great grandfather--Steve Calderone

Post by labellaviola »

Another Giuseppe Calderone who arrived in 1994 from Termini, Sicily.

New Orleans Passenger Lists, 1820-1945 about Giuseppe Calderone
Name: Giuseppe Calderone
Arrival Date: 8 May 1894
Age: 33
Date of Birth: abt 1862
Gender: Male
Port of Departure: Palermo, Italy
Ship Name: Montebello
Port of Arrival: New Orleans, Louisiana
Last Residence: Tirmini
National Archives' Series Number: M259_79

http://search.ancestry.com/iexec?htx=Vi ... pid=699070

But...this would be three years after Steve's birth....could Giuseppe have gone back to Sicily temporarily? Found it interesting that Termini is listed as his last residence.

Also, I spoke with my mom and she said that the only thing the family knows about Steve's mother is that she mysteriously disappeared... :roll:

Since Mary is Steve's oldest daughter, maybe Steve's mother was a Mary or a Maria?

The search continues for the 1900 Census!
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Looking for my great grandfather--Steve Calderone

Post by suanj »

yes I know this other arrival, but as you said, Steven was born in 1891( Dec.) so surely Giuseppe was in USA almost 9 months before of Steven birth.. obviously.... if Giuseppe Calderone married in St James parish, maybe you can try the marriage by LDS microfilms:

Marriage records, 1846-1900, with index of grooms and brides, 1846-1964 St. James Parish (Louisiana). Clerk of the District Court
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library ... 00%2C+with+ &columns=*,0,0
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
User avatar
labellaviola
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: 16 Jul 2011, 04:11
Location: Arizona, USA

Re: Looking for my great grandfather--Steve Calderone

Post by labellaviola »

We have a center not far from where I live, I think I'll make a trip over and speak with them about the microfilm. Thank you again for these helpful suggestions.

I believe we are on the right track!!
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Looking for my great grandfather--Steve Calderone

Post by suanj »

Surely ....we are on right trace! Good luck!
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
User avatar
labellaviola
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: 16 Jul 2011, 04:11
Location: Arizona, USA

Re: Looking for my great grandfather--Steve Calderone

Post by labellaviola »

Latest development!!! :D I'm so excited to have received great-grandpa Steve's Social Security Application copy and....

His father was definitely Joe Calderone
His mother was definitely Mary F?
It also confirms his birth place as St. James, Louisiana

Now, the copy is not very good and I can't read Mary's last name so well. It appears to start with an F....maybe someone else can help me decipher?
Fontarici...Funtarini...Fontarini?

ETA: Maybe it's not an F but a T?

ETA2: I found this link: http://www.termini-imerese.org/CertificateSurnames.htm
Maybe Mary was a Turtorici?

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz27 ... eSSAPP.jpg
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Looking for my great grandfather--Steve Calderone

Post by suanj »

great new!
I believe that the mother maiden name was TORTORICI..
regards,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Post Reply