Italian Naming Customs?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
User avatar
ericderrico
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 83
Joined: 09 Jul 2010, 23:06
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Italian Naming Customs?

Post by ericderrico »

I thought the name on the left is the child's name, couldn't be too sure. If that is the case then I have no Pasquale D'Erricos listed as being born in Carpino from 1885-1895.

Michele listed his birthdate as two different dates b/w his WW1 and WW2 cards. WW2 was something like May 8 or May 10 1892, in correspondence with the rest of his information. Wonder why he put 17 April on his WW1?

Here's a bigger image:Image
Researching surnames: D'Errico, Bellotti (and other spellings), D'Avolio, Calvano, Marano
User avatar
ericderrico
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 83
Joined: 09 Jul 2010, 23:06
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Italian Naming Customs?

Post by ericderrico »

by the way, what does the line è comparso D'Errico Angelo fu Pasquale mean? Literally I read it as appeared Angelo D'Errico was Pasquale but can't figure out what it means.
Researching surnames: D'Errico, Bellotti (and other spellings), D'Avolio, Calvano, Marano
User avatar
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master
Posts: 5228
Joined: 04 Aug 2008, 15:01
Location: Connecticut, USA

Re: Italian Naming Customs?

Post by johnnyonthespot »

"fu" in this usage means deceased.

I am on my phone right now so I can't see the document very well.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
User avatar
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master
Posts: 5228
Joined: 04 Aug 2008, 15:01
Location: Connecticut, USA

Re: Italian Naming Customs?

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Typically, atti from this era read more or less as follows:

L'anno [year in words], addì [day number in words] di [month] a ore [time of day] nella Casa Comunale.

Avanti di me [the clerk's name and title] Ufficiale dello Stato Civile del Comune di [comune name], è comparso [name of the person who is making the report; typically the father or possibly a midwife], di anni [his/her age], [occupation], domiciliato in [comune where he/she resides], quale mi ha dichiarato che alle ore [the hour AM or PM] e minuti [minutes past the hour], del di [day "del corrente mese" (of the current month) or often simply "ieri" meaning yesterday], nella casa posta in [street name] al numero [house number], da [mother's full maiden name, last name first], sua legittima moglie di anni [mother's age in years], [occupation] è nato un bambino di sesso [sex of child], che egli mi presente e a cui da nomi di [given names of child].

A quanto sopra e a quest'atto sono slati presenti quali testimoni [names, ages, and occupations of two witnesses to the recording of the act]

Something like,

The year ___ the day ___ of ___ at hour ___ AM/PM and minutes ___

To me, _______official's name and title____ appeared _________ and declared that on the day ____ hour ____ minutes _____ at the house on road _____ number _______ to his lawful wife _____________ was born a male/female child who has been given the name ______.

This act was witnessed by _____ blah, blah, blah.

In your example, "è comparso D'Errico Angelo fu Pasquale" means "appeared Angelo D'Errico, the son of the deceased Pasquale..." was the person who filed the report.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
User avatar
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master
Posts: 5228
Joined: 04 Aug 2008, 15:01
Location: Connecticut, USA

Re: Italian Naming Customs?

Post by johnnyonthespot »

johnnyonthespot wrote:Michael's WWI draft card:

Image
I should have mentioned this one was indexed as "Michele Archangell Derrico"

I guess this is the WWII card. Are we confidant these are both the same guy?

U.S. World War II Draft Registration Cards, 1942 about Michael Arcangelo D'errico:

Image

WWI card says eyes and hair are black; WWII card says both are brown... On the other hand, signatures are similar enough (but not exact). Of course, 25 years elapsed between the two cards.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
User avatar
ericderrico
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 83
Joined: 09 Jul 2010, 23:06
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Italian Naming Customs?

Post by ericderrico »

I'm never sure of anything anymore :-p though both do seem to be the same person as far as I'm concerned.

I think the avenue I am going to look into is actually requesting the rodi Garganico birth registrations from Family Search and going through them myself rather than rely on the letter of no record found from the Comune di Rodi Garganico.
Researching surnames: D'Errico, Bellotti (and other spellings), D'Avolio, Calvano, Marano
User avatar
scannavino
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 40
Joined: 01 Jun 2010, 22:33
Contact:

Re: Italian Naming Customs?

Post by scannavino »

Hi! WOW, I saw Pasquale D'Errico's world war 2 registration card and was quite surprised of the address I saw.....It said 587 59th Street West New York, New Jersey, I think.....That's so interesting because my whole family from Sicily settled on 59th Street in West New York..They practically lived all up and down 59th St, and even owned stores on that block. It's cool to see your ancestor was from West New York.......Sorry that i'm not much help.....Good luck!!! The resources and people on here are very good!
User avatar
Shoogi
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: 08 Feb 2011, 00:58

Re: Italian Naming Customs?

Post by Shoogi »

Eric, I am currently reviewing the film for Rodi Garganico from 1868 to 1888 and I ran across a record for a Michelarchangelo(sp?) D'Errico that was born in 1887 or 1888 I believe. As you know, Carpino and Rodi are within a few miles of each other. Unfortunately, our local family research center is closed for the next couple of weeks, but if you would like me to get a copy of that record and scan it for you, I would be happy to. Joe D'Errico
User avatar
ericderrico
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 83
Joined: 09 Jul 2010, 23:06
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Italian Naming Customs?

Post by ericderrico »

Is this the same Joe I've been speaking to on facebook by chance? Glad to see you on italiangenealogy, it's a great tool.

If it is no bother I would really appreciate that with regard to scanning the record. Let me know if you'd need any compensation for your troubles.

I know my family is mostly from Rodi other than this record of my GGF being from Carpino.
Researching surnames: D'Errico, Bellotti (and other spellings), D'Avolio, Calvano, Marano
Post Reply