Actual records from parish

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Post Reply
krombie19
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 44
Joined: 02 Jul 2011, 17:59

Actual records from parish

Post by krombie19 »

In May my wife and I had the good fortune of visiting where her ancestors are from in Italy. We met with one of the local priests and he sent us some genealogy info. It was a database print out of their baptismal records. I was wondering if it was possible to request actual records instead of these database print outs.
User avatar
Italysearcher
Master
Master
Posts: 3470
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 19:58
Location: Sora, Italy
Contact:

Re: Actual records from parish

Post by Italysearcher »

Not too many parishes have put their indexes into a database. This is probably why the priest was able to supply you with some information. Requesting actual records would require them to scan or photograph the records, download into the computer and email them to you. The books are too fragile to photocopy. You could ask, you met the priest but if he sent it to you rather than give it to you the day you were there, I doubt you will get anything.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
nuccia
Staff
Staff
Posts: 4606
Joined: 20 Nov 2005, 00:00
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: Actual records from parish

Post by nuccia »

I think you were very fortunate to receive such printouts from the priest. Many people aren't so lucky. I do agree with Ann about receiving anything else - its probably not likely but you can always ask. Please don't be disappointed though if he says no.

Good luck!
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
Image
Post Reply