When looking on the census for 1930 I found that my ggrandfather, who had on prior censuses been an alien, it had the abbreviation for first papers by his name. What is this exactly and would there be any way for me to get information from this? Thanks!
Trisha
naturalization/first papers
Re: naturalization/first papers
Dear Trisha,tmajor wrote:When looking on the census for 1930 I found that my ggrandfather, who had on prior censuses been an alien, it had the abbreviation for first papers by his name. What is this exactly and would there be any way for me to get information from this? Thanks!
Trisha
The Census records can narrow down when a person was Naturalized. then depending on the year of Naturalization, you can get information from the Naturalization Records.
On the census you would see AL - Alien, PA - means he started the Petition for Naturalization, and NA - Naturalization.
Now if you are stating that in 1920 your g-grandfather was an Alien and by 1930 he's Naturalized, then there is a good chance that he filed his paperwork and got naturalized between those dates.
If this is the case, then you can write to the County that he lived in and try to obtain his Naturalization records.
You can also try to contact NARA for naturalization papers.
However, I will tell that records prior to 1906 weren't as detailed as they are after 1906.
I hope this is of some help to you.
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
Re: naturalization/first papers
On the 1930 census it says PA, so does that mean he wasn't naturalized yet? And would I still write to the county he lived in to obtain the papers? Thanks for the help.
Trisha
Trisha
Re: naturalization/first papers
Dear Trisha,tmajor wrote:On the 1930 census it says PA, so does that mean he wasn't naturalized yet? And would I still write to the county he lived in to obtain the papers? Thanks for the help.
Trisha
PA should mean he started his papework to become Naturalized. However, can you please tell us your g-grandfather's name, wife's name, and some of the children's names, and where they settled so that I can look at the census. Once I look at the document, I will be able to tell you what to do next.
Thanks
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
- Marcialise
- Veteran

- Posts: 102
- Joined: 16 May 2005, 00:00
- Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Re: naturalization/first papers
I am curious as to what information you could obtain from and the benefits of obtaining the Naturalization Records. I think I've spotted the timing of when my great great grandparents naturalised...


