Hello all this is my first post here. My great-great grandfather Luigi Baldelli wrote my grandmother a letter in 1938, although unfortunately I have not been able to translate it. Hopefully someone with more experience will be able to help. It's a three page letter so I know its kinda long, but translation will still be greatly appreciated. Luigi was from northern Italy if that helps at all, more specifically from Lazio. Thank you and good luck!
http://i320.photobucket.com/albums/nn35 ... etter1.jpg
http://i320.photobucket.com/albums/nn35 ... etter2.jpg
http://i320.photobucket.com/albums/nn35 ... etter3.jpg
Need help translating Italian letter
Re: Need help translating Italian letter
I love translating these old family letters. I don't know how I missed this one. I can't do it tomorrow, but will get it done for you in the next two or three days.
MaryMena
MaryMena
Re: Need help translating Italian letter
Page 1
Dear Lina
Denes. Mass. 21.8.1938
Having received your letter and hearing that Ruggero wants to buy the house for $3000, I think that you’re all crazy. Tell me something, s.e.l.l.i.n.g the house for a piece of bread, that’s how Uncle Ruggero would like to get hold of it. Where would you go to live after? In a barn or maybe in the middle of the street. Even if you go in a barn, you have to pay from 15 to 20 “scudi” a month and then you would always be subject to the whims of the landlords, but instead you could take it for yourself by coming to an agreement with your brothers. I repeat, I will surrender my portion to you; and I believe that Lucia, also, will surrender her portion to you. So you see, for you there will be little output, and you will always have a house, the paternal home where you spent your first Christmases.
Page 2
So, you must admit that it will be a good thing for you to do this, and even the people of Mansfield will not laugh to see our house in the hands of others. Therefore, think carefully about what you’re doing since later, regret is worthless. Tell Alberto that he might take something to the Bank of Mansfield, maybe from the house, or maybe move all the “mogheg” (I suspect here he’s saying “mortgage” ) to the Bank of Mansfield and with that money pay the “tecles? tedes? texles?”( possibly “taxes”) and the interest from the bank and give something to your brothers. This way you are the sole owner, and you can have your brothers pay board by renting them the room where you slept, and then rent out the other 4 remaining rooms, because where you slept there is the door to go to the entrance. Therefore you would pay off the house painlessly.
Page 3
You told me that Nino is s.e.l.l.i.n.g the business to Luigi, tell me, how much did he sell it for? What’s he going to do after? May God help him, but I believe little, then he’ll become a man, when he becomes dependent on others. Someone tells me that he lost $60. I don’t believe these stories. It would have been better if he’d stayed home in the evening, this way nothing would have happened and it would have been better for him. Send me a reply and let me know the news so that when everything is ready I will come and sign. When you reply, reply in Italian. Maybe have Aunt Bice write. For now I have nothing else to tell you. Sending greetings to all of you “di quore” (possibly, he means “di cuore” = from the heart). Your ?? (can’t figure this out) father Luigi.
On the left margin: many greetings to Bice’s family
On the right margin: and also to Ruggero
I put periods in the words "s.e.l.l.i.n.g" otherwise it puts in "SPAM"
MaryMena
Dear Lina
Denes. Mass. 21.8.1938
Having received your letter and hearing that Ruggero wants to buy the house for $3000, I think that you’re all crazy. Tell me something, s.e.l.l.i.n.g the house for a piece of bread, that’s how Uncle Ruggero would like to get hold of it. Where would you go to live after? In a barn or maybe in the middle of the street. Even if you go in a barn, you have to pay from 15 to 20 “scudi” a month and then you would always be subject to the whims of the landlords, but instead you could take it for yourself by coming to an agreement with your brothers. I repeat, I will surrender my portion to you; and I believe that Lucia, also, will surrender her portion to you. So you see, for you there will be little output, and you will always have a house, the paternal home where you spent your first Christmases.
Page 2
So, you must admit that it will be a good thing for you to do this, and even the people of Mansfield will not laugh to see our house in the hands of others. Therefore, think carefully about what you’re doing since later, regret is worthless. Tell Alberto that he might take something to the Bank of Mansfield, maybe from the house, or maybe move all the “mogheg” (I suspect here he’s saying “mortgage” ) to the Bank of Mansfield and with that money pay the “tecles? tedes? texles?”( possibly “taxes”) and the interest from the bank and give something to your brothers. This way you are the sole owner, and you can have your brothers pay board by renting them the room where you slept, and then rent out the other 4 remaining rooms, because where you slept there is the door to go to the entrance. Therefore you would pay off the house painlessly.
Page 3
You told me that Nino is s.e.l.l.i.n.g the business to Luigi, tell me, how much did he sell it for? What’s he going to do after? May God help him, but I believe little, then he’ll become a man, when he becomes dependent on others. Someone tells me that he lost $60. I don’t believe these stories. It would have been better if he’d stayed home in the evening, this way nothing would have happened and it would have been better for him. Send me a reply and let me know the news so that when everything is ready I will come and sign. When you reply, reply in Italian. Maybe have Aunt Bice write. For now I have nothing else to tell you. Sending greetings to all of you “di quore” (possibly, he means “di cuore” = from the heart). Your ?? (can’t figure this out) father Luigi.
On the left margin: many greetings to Bice’s family
On the right margin: and also to Ruggero
I put periods in the words "s.e.l.l.i.n.g" otherwise it puts in "SPAM"
MaryMena
Re: Need help translating Italian letter
Thank you so much for your help! Sorry about the late reply, you know how life is...
THANK YOU!!!
THANK YOU!!!
Re: Need help translating Italian letter
You're welcome. As they say, "Better late than never."
I'm curious to know, is the house still in the family?
MaryMena
I'm curious to know, is the house still in the family?
MaryMena
Re: Need help translating Italian letter
Sadly it is not; it was demolished a long time ago. It was right on the railroad tracks and I guess the city had better uses for the land =/

