In the process of my research, I found out that my grandfather was born in Georgia. The problem is, he was born in 1912 (and has since passed away), and GA didn't keep birth records until 1919. Some counties kept records earlier than that, but it's inconsistent.
I am reaching out to the county that he was born in to see if they happen to have anything, although I doubt it considering his family were migrant workers. My father is currently searching to see if my grandmother happens to have a copy to use as a starting point. If I am unable to find it / get a certified copy, am I done? Other information:
He is NOT in the direct line (it goes GGF -> GM -> F -> Me, and my GM and F are still alive).
I will be applying at the NYC consulate.
He served in the military during WWII, which I guess is a way to prove he's an American citizen.
Thanks for any comments / thoughts.
Georgia 1919 Issue
- RussoTiesi
- Rookie

- Posts: 40
- Joined: 29 Sep 2010, 03:03
Re: Georgia 1919 Issue
Any chance that a baptismal record was created for him?
Researching following surnames: Russo Tiesi, Terranella, Randazzo, Pancamo; and the following towns: Chiusa Sclafani and Campofelice di Fitalia
Re: Georgia 1919 Issue
Hi Russo,
It's possible, but most likely not. His family was based in NY, but would work in the South during the winters. They were Presbyterian, and there is a church in St. Marys, GA where he is born. I plan on contacting them if I run into dead ends.
It's possible, but most likely not. His family was based in NY, but would work in the South during the winters. They were Presbyterian, and there is a church in St. Marys, GA where he is born. I plan on contacting them if I run into dead ends.
- RussoTiesi
- Rookie

- Posts: 40
- Joined: 29 Sep 2010, 03:03
Re: Georgia 1919 Issue
One other thought that you've probably already considered: Have you checked to see if he obtained a delayed birth certificate? My grandfather got his birth certificate 50 years after he was born by submitting to the state of Illinois an affidavit from his aunt, his baptismal certificate, and another court document. (Unlike Georgia, Illinois had been issuing birth certificates when my grandfather was born, but the state apparently misfiled it and couldn't produce it.)
Researching following surnames: Russo Tiesi, Terranella, Randazzo, Pancamo; and the following towns: Chiusa Sclafani and Campofelice di Fitalia
Re: Georgia 1919 Issue
If he is not in the direct line this should not be a show stopper! Well it would not be in Chicago. I like that wwii military records idea, but the best bet is to call the consulate and see what they would like you to do, whatever we say is just a guess. NY can be a problem though.
