Guarascio/Guarashio/Wash Ancestry Help

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
User avatar
jjk_16_21
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 49
Joined: 19 Mar 2005, 00:00
Contact:

Re: Guarascio/Guarashio/Wash Ancestry Help

Post by jjk_16_21 »

Can somebody please translate the following letter into Italian. Preferably somebody with the Calabrese Dialect.

To Whom It May Concern,

My name is James Klos and I am trying to obtain my Great Grandfathers baptismal record. He was born on March 23, 1904 in San Giovanni In Fiore. His parents are Tommaso Guarascio and Anna Maria Secreti. Enclosed is a money order for 5 euro's and an internation reply coupon with a self addressed envelope. Thank you for your time. God Bless.

Sincerelly,
James Klos
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 1874
Joined: 04 Feb 2004, 00:00
Location: TRENTO - ITALY
Contact:

Re: Guarascio/Guarashio/Wash Ancestry Help

Post by ricbru »

To write this letter to parishes, it has to written in Italian, not in calabrese dialect

Translation.

"Il mio nome è James Klos e sto cercando di ottenere il certificato di battesimo di mio bisnonno. Egli è nato il 23 Marzo 1904 a San Giovanni in Fiore. I suoi genitori sono Tommaso Guarascio e Anna Maria Secreti.
Allego alla presente un vaglia di 5 euro ed un buono di risposta, con la busta e l'indirizzo.
Grazie per il suo tempo.
Che Dio la benedica

Sinceramente
James Kloss"

I hope it helps, bye Riccardo
nuccia
Staff
Staff
Posts: 4606
Joined: 20 Nov 2005, 00:00
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: Guarascio/Guarashio/Wash Ancestry Help

Post by nuccia »

Hi James,

Maybe you want to have a look at this website to help you in writing letters. Not sure if it's already been posted since the site has been a bit funny. If so, Sorry. It gives some ideas on how to write standard letters. You may find some of it useful.

http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... /index.asp

Nuccia :D
User avatar
jjk_16_21
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 49
Joined: 19 Mar 2005, 00:00
Contact:

Re: Guarascio/Guarashio/Wash Ancestry Help

Post by jjk_16_21 »

I have a couple questions, do you think it is asking too much if I request the birth act of my Great Great Grandparents, their marriage act and the state of family certificate all in one request? Should I send the money with the request or should I wait for a reply from them? Also, how much money should I send???
wldspirit
Staff
Staff
Posts: 5606
Joined: 17 Nov 2004, 00:00
Location: U.S.A.
Contact:

Re: Guarascio/Guarashio/Wash Ancestry Help

Post by wldspirit »

Limit your request to two items at a time, my opinion? go for the birth and marriage extract first, the family certificate takes much time to reconstruct.
wldspirit
User avatar
mikeyboy
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: 23 Dec 2008, 18:01
Contact:

Re: Guarascio/Guarashio/Wash Ancestry Help

Post by mikeyboy »

Anyone have info on a family of Guarascio - that imigrated to canada - southern Ontario that had mistakenly changed to Guarascia???
PeterTimber
Master
Master
Posts: 6811
Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 18:57
Location: Yonkers NY

Re: Guarascio/Guarashio/Wash Ancestry Help

Post by PeterTimber »

There are 172 Guarascio who landed at NYC thru Ellisisland.org...if you know the town of origin or at least the year of arrival perhaps the ships manifest will indicate if their destination is Canada. If not then perhaps you can estimate their year of arrival and go thru Canada immigration at Pier 21. Just let us know what you know! =Peter=
User avatar
mikeyboy
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: 23 Dec 2008, 18:01
Contact:

Re: Guarascio/Guarashio/Wash Ancestry Help

Post by mikeyboy »

Trying to find if anyone has information on Guarascio being changed to Guarascia - large family in southern Ontario Canada. Aparrently origionally named Guarascio.
Thanks if anyone can help.
Mike Guarascia
Guaracio
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: 08 Oct 2011, 22:26

Re: Guarascio/Guarashio/Wash Ancestry Help

Post by Guaracio »

My great, great grandfather's name was Giovanni Guarscio. It was changed to Wash when he came to America. My great, great grandmother Teresa or Daisy Guarascio was sent for later and their first born Susie. I believe they came over in May of 1907. They settled in Clarksburg, WV. Teresa (daisy) and John had 10 children. Susie, Patsy, Lucie, Joe, John, Rosie. That is all I know of.

I really hope that someone on here is linked to this family and can help me.
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Guarascio/Guarashio/Wash Ancestry Help

Post by suanj »

Hi maybe this is your Giovanni Guarascio:
U.S. World War II Draft Registration Cards, 1942
about Giovanni Guarascio Name: Giovanni Guarascio
Birth Date: 20 May 1887
Birth Place: Saint John*, Italy (*San Giovanni in Fiore, Cosenza, Italy)
Residence: Harrison, West Virginia
next of kin: Susie Romano- daughter
Image

regards,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Guarascio/Guarashio/Wash Ancestry Help

Post by suanj »

if the above record in my previous post is correct, here the1920 census:
1920 United States Federal Census
about John Wash
Name: John Wash
Home in 1920: Coal, Harrison, West Virginia
Age: 34
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1886

Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Self (Head)
[Head]
Spouse's Name: Daisy Wash
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Marital Status: Married
[Single]
Race: White
Sex: Male
Home owned: Rent
Year of immigration: 1906
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
John Wash 34
Daisy Wash 33
Susie Wash 16
Mary Wash 8
Rosa Wash 7
Fannie Wash 6
Joe Wash 3
[3 8/12]
Pansy Wash 2
[2 4/12]
Joe E Rotelli 34
Salvatore Arcuri 38


pag 1 Image

pag 2 Image

other:
World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918
about John Wash
Name: John Wash
County: Harrison
State: West Virginia
Birth Date: 1885

Race: White
FHL Roll Number: 1992487
DraftBoard: 2

wife Daisy...

Image

the birthyear is a bit different, but is very possible that 1885 is right birthyear and not 1887...
1930:
1930 United States Federal Census
about John Wash
Name: John Wash
Home in 1930: Coal, Harrison, West Virginia
View Map
Age: 43
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1887
Birthplace: Italy

Relation to Head of House: Head
Spouse's Name: Daisy Wash
Race: White
Occupation:

Education:

Military Service:

Rent/home value:

Age at first marriage:

Parents' birthplace: View image
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
John Wash 43
Daisy Wash 43
Rosie H Wash 17
Thelma E Wash 16
Joe Wash 14
Dancy Wash 12
Tony Wash 10
Lannie Wash 6
Frankie Wash 4 6/12
Lucy Wash 2 4/12


Image
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Post Reply