When Do Docs Need to Be "Authenticated" By Other Consulates?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
AlfaRomeo4Ever
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 19
Joined: 07 Oct 2011, 02:30

Re: When Do Docs Need to Be "Authenticated" By Other Consula

Post by AlfaRomeo4Ever »

@Kontessa: Thanks for the well-wishes! I'm inching my way there!
@Jennabet: From my understanding, you are correct. Italy's socialized health care system does NOT discriminate against any person whom is living there legally. As a strong proponent of socialized health care, this is quite a refreshing change from the US system for me. In fact, my wife and I are betting that the US health system (and posibly more...) will totally collapse under its own weight by the time we reach medicare age, hence a relocation to Italy may be the wisest thing we ever do. Time will tell all, won't it?

I'm very interested in you overall experiences there, Jennabet...what the adjustmentd were like, what the good vs. bad is (every place has its negatives). Perhaps you have written posts regarding your living experiences that I can be directed to? Or, are there other websites that I can be made aware of in order to engage in such discussions?

Thanks,
Dennis
Alfa Romeo - Milano
A-L-F-A: Anonima Lombarda Fabbrica Automobil
www.alfaromeo.com
User avatar
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master
Posts: 5228
Joined: 04 Aug 2008, 15:01
Location: Connecticut, USA

Re: When Do Docs Need to Be "Authenticated" By Other Consula

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Let's everyone please play nice...

Much depends on how you define "healthcare". For example, it is my understanding that each of Italy's provinces is given some leeway in these matters - the cost of prescription drugs being one example. A prescription for one month's supply of a maintenance drug such as blood pressure medication might cost you nothing in one province but a few euros in another. Similarly, rehab and related materials after a leg break might be extensive and free in one area but unavailable or on a fee-basis in another.

This subject has been discussed often at the ExpatsInItaly forum. For example:

http://expatsinitaly.com/phpbbforum/vie ... =9&t=14796

http://expatsinitaly.com/phpbbforum/vie ... =9&t=14766
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
User avatar
kontessa
Elite
Elite
Posts: 304
Joined: 16 Apr 2010, 19:05

Re: When Do Docs Need to Be "Authenticated" By Other Consula

Post by kontessa »

jennabet wrote:.....Do some reading on health care as well, as it isn't always free, especially if you aren't Italian, or haven't worked in Italy and contributed to the system.....

This is total and complete nonsense. There is absolutely NO requirement for legal residents to have worked in Italy and contributed in order to access socialized medicine. Again total nonsense from someone who obviously was never a LEGAL resident.
With all due respect, I never said anything about access to the healthcare system in Italy. And yes, every legal resident has access to the system, especially emergency care. However, it isn't accurate to claim that everything is always free. Of course emergency services would be covered, but optional services, or if you want to choose a specialist that isn't in your covered area, it may very well include some out-of-pocket expense (even for Italians, mind you). More than likely, less than the cost for the same treatment or meds in the US, but not always free.

Eu citizens that choose to become legal residents in Italy do not always receive healthcare for free, either. I can't recall if they must purchase health insurance for just an initial time-frame when they first move, or if they must have it for the entire length of time they live (legally) in Italy. Best to read of their experiences on expatsinitaly. In fact, it's always best to gather as much information from varied sources, and not just one person's opinion. :D

And finally, with all due respect, I was a legal resident in Italy. I just happened to have had a different experience than the one that you had. :wink:
jennabet
Master
Master
Posts: 1396
Joined: 14 Jul 2010, 20:28
Location: Ancestral Homeland - Abruzzo Italy

Re: When Do Docs Need to Be "Authenticated" By Other Consula

Post by jennabet »

To me, paying one Euro (it's not a typo) at the Italian pharmacy for a prescription is FREE healthcare. To me, paying a one-time charge of 20.00 Euro at the civil hospital when you visit a specialist who has never seen you before is FREE healthcare. To me, never paying anything at all EVER to my primary physician is FREE healthcare. I can't elaborate on Pronto Socorso (emergency room) because I haven't had to go there. But I would say the miniscule out of pocket costs are not only less than you pay in the US but WAY, WAY less -- so in effect, IT'S FREE and nitpicking really doesn't wash.

As far as EU citizens are concerned, UK citizens may have a different healthcare deal in Italy as residency requirements for them are also different. Since I'm not British and will never have any plans to live in the UK, I'm not interested in learning about their issues in Italy. If it's so bad, they can always go back to jolly old England. But I do know that the healthcare benefits my French friends receive in France work perfectly well in Italy.
User avatar
Donald66
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 157
Joined: 17 Apr 2009, 02:01
Contact:

Re: When Do Docs Need to Be "Authenticated" By Other Consula

Post by Donald66 »

AlfaRomeo4Ever wrote:JJ313: One additional question. What is the order in which services should be applied to an out-of-jurisdiction document?

Is it translate-apostille (minus the translation)-authentication (seems most logical), or
translate-authentication-apostille (minus translate and auth.)?

I'm not sure if authentication requires an apostille attached first or not. Just exctly what it is the authentication process - a seal or stamp placed on the original document, or do they permanently affix an additional document to the original, much like the apostille?

Depending on what the order of this process is, it could run some big money on apostilles, since CT charges "just" $50 per page!

Thanks,
Dennis
We have applied in NYC and were told of this "out of jurisdiction" requirement at our 3rd appointment with Emilio.

We now have the out of area document with the apostille.
Do we send them both to Miami to be "authenticated" and then translate the result??

Does anyone know what department we send the document to at the Miami Consulate?
JJ313
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 159
Joined: 07 Aug 2011, 06:25

Re: When Do Docs Need to Be "Authenticated" By Other Consula

Post by JJ313 »

Translation and apostille go to the consulate for authentication. Send it to the Citizenship Department.
User avatar
ChrisMosca
Elite
Elite
Posts: 390
Joined: 11 Dec 2007, 14:13

Re: When Do Docs Need to Be "Authenticated" By Other Consula

Post by ChrisMosca »

It happened to me two weeks ago, I had the apostilles but they said that all my documents had to be authenticated by the italian consulate of that state, like my birth certificate from California, and all my other documents from Argentina. I went to the Newark, NJ consulate and no where it mentions of this. so now i have to wait another year before I can make it back there for my second appointment.
Looking for the surnames Mosca( Marches ), Pizzoglio (Piedmonte), Chiacchiera, Lobasso(Bari), Gallo(Malvito), Azzolina (Messina).
User avatar
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master
Posts: 525
Joined: 12 Sep 2010, 19:39

Re: When Do Docs Need to Be "Authenticated" By Other Consula

Post by sceaminmonkey »

just a quick reply to kontessa. Yes you are correct not all EU citizens receive free health care in italy. basically if you are covered under your countries national health care you may be required to pay for treatment and then have your countries system reimburse you.

helpful link http://ec.europa.eu/youreurope/citizens ... dex_en.htm

My Polish friend actually living and working in italy had some trouble for the first couple months. he lived in Lombardia. I guess everyone has a different experience.
Post Reply