I am trying to find some one to help me translate to english my family crest. Attached is a copy of it written in Italian. Any one up for the challenge? Thank you in advance.
Help with translation of MARCHESE family crest
- liviomoreno
- Master

- Posts: 7116
- Joined: 13 Feb 2004, 00:00
- Location: Rome, Italy
- Contact:
Re: Help with translation of MARCHESE family crest
MARCHESE
Were part of the Nobility in Messina, Palermo, etc. owned the Principality of Scaletta, the Marquisate of Rajata, the Baronies of Bambina, Bonalbero, Casalotto, Castelluzzo, Foresta di Taormina, Graneri, Guidomandri, San Marco lo Celso, Missoria, Rapisi, Ganteri, etc tec. A Placido received, with privilege, the title of Baron of Criato or Ropadimare; a Gaspare received, with privilege, the title of Marquis of Rajata, ecc. In the register of the Nobles in Messina, we see a Count (Earl) Francesco Baron of PietroGoliti and a Nicolò Baron of Gregorio.
Were part of the Nobility in Messina, Palermo, etc. owned the Principality of Scaletta, the Marquisate of Rajata, the Baronies of Bambina, Bonalbero, Casalotto, Castelluzzo, Foresta di Taormina, Graneri, Guidomandri, San Marco lo Celso, Missoria, Rapisi, Ganteri, etc tec. A Placido received, with privilege, the title of Baron of Criato or Ropadimare; a Gaspare received, with privilege, the title of Marquis of Rajata, ecc. In the register of the Nobles in Messina, we see a Count (Earl) Francesco Baron of PietroGoliti and a Nicolò Baron of Gregorio.
Re: Help with translation of MARCHESE family crest
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! Wonderful but now I guess I need to find out what it all means. Any suggestions on how or where I should start this research? I really appreciate your help.
Re: Help with translation of MARCHESE family crest
Hello cmm, can I ask you who told you that this is "your" family crest?
L.
L.
Re: Help with translation of MARCHESE family crest
I'd call it a "surname crest"
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi
Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Re: Help with translation of MARCHESE family crest
Hello and well I am only going on the fact that this framed piece hung in my family's home ever since I can remember as a child. I don't recall my Mom or Dad telling me specifically that it was OUR family crest. I just thought that it was since that is my Dad's last name. I noticed another comment made that it is a SURNAME crest and prehaps that is the case, in fact, just a surmane.Lucap wrote:Hello cmm, can I ask you who told you that this is "your" family crest?
L.
- liviomoreno
- Master

- Posts: 7116
- Joined: 13 Feb 2004, 00:00
- Location: Rome, Italy
- Contact:
Re: Help with translation of MARCHESE family crest
I did the first translation for you, but I don't understand the use of the word CREST. I have searched the Webster Dictionary on line http://www.learnersdictionary.com/search/crest[1] but I could not find any suitable definition...
Re: Help with translation of MARCHESE family crest
Hello again, and I may certainly be using the wrong terminology of the word CREST. That is how it was told to me as a child...our family crest. Maybe it is more of a Coat Of Arms? Feedback is always welcomed as I am pretty new to this kind of research and terminology. In advance, THANKSliviomoreno wrote:I did the first translation for you, but I don't understand the use of the word CREST. I have searched the Webster Dictionary on line http://www.learnersdictionary.com/search/crest[1] but I could not find any suitable definition...
Re: Help with translation of MARCHESE family crest
This is the whole Crest/Coat Of Arms picture if it makes more sense to see it in it's entirety.
Re: Help with translation of MARCHESE family crest
It's very probable that this coat of arms is the usual gold brick (I hope this the right definition) that some dishonest genealogist (or self-styled genealogist) try to sell at persons (in good faith) that are wishful to know their family story.
This is only my guess, but in my experience I can say tha this theory is true at 90% of probability.
L.
This is only my guess, but in my experience I can say tha this theory is true at 90% of probability.
L.
