Hi,
I would like to find my g-grandfather's naturalization papers. I have searched FOLD3 indexes with no luck. This is what I know:
Giuseppe Laraia immigrated to United States on 21 Apr 1894 (he was born in 1873). It says he was going to NY, but he actually settled in Philadelphia, where he lived until he died in 1944. His name in the US was Joseph Laraio (o, not a, on the end). He married in 1897 in Philadelphia to Teresa Sarricchio. I can't find him in the 1900 census, but it says the following about his naturalization in the censuses below:
1910: Naturalized
1920: Naturalized in 1904
1930: Naturalized
Does anyone know where I should search to find his naturalization papers? I have a subscription to ancestry and I'm willing to order microfilm from family search, if that would help. I would also be willing to get a subscription to FOLD3. I just don't know where to start looking.
Thanks! Annette
How to find naturalization papers?
Re: How to find naturalization papers?
You should go to the National Archives and search there, if they lived it Philadelphia if there is a court archives you could also check there.
(Center City Philadelphia)
900 Market Street
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
19107-4292
(Entrance on Chestnut Street,
between 9th and 10th St.)
Telephone: 215-606-0100
Fax: 215-606-0116
(Center City Philadelphia)
900 Market Street
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
19107-4292
(Entrance on Chestnut Street,
between 9th and 10th St.)
Telephone: 215-606-0100
Fax: 215-606-0116
Re: How to find naturalization papers?
Thanks Corrado. Unfortunately, I do not live in Philadelphia. So I'm pretty much stuck using online records or microfilm from FHC. I know I could request information from NARA, but all I have is his name, DOB, where he was living in Philadelphia and the year he put on his census record that he naturalized.
I have the same problem with my husband's great-grandfather. He was Irish and naturalized in either Phila., Chester County or Montgomery County. Searches in the latter two turned up nothing (Chester is online and some kind person searched Montgomery County for me), so he must have naturalized in Philadelphia. But FOLD3 does not have him listed in the index.
I know the LDS has indexes for naturalizations in Philadelphia, but are they the same as FOLD3? Also there are so many microfilm to choose from that I don't know what to order!
Annette
I have the same problem with my husband's great-grandfather. He was Irish and naturalized in either Phila., Chester County or Montgomery County. Searches in the latter two turned up nothing (Chester is online and some kind person searched Montgomery County for me), so he must have naturalized in Philadelphia. But FOLD3 does not have him listed in the index.
I know the LDS has indexes for naturalizations in Philadelphia, but are they the same as FOLD3? Also there are so many microfilm to choose from that I don't know what to order!
Annette
Re: How to find naturalization papers?
Send an email to NARA with the information that you have and they will search their indexes as well as other online indexes. They will any possible hits. You can also search the USCIS genealogy site ($20.00 fee). Their naturalization records begin in 1906. The information you have should be enough to do a thorough search.
Re: How to find naturalization papers?
Thank you, I will give that a try.

