Does Myrtus Av. still exist in CA???

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Post Reply
User avatar
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 1302
Joined: 06 Oct 2003, 00:00

Re: Does Myrtus Av. still exist in CA???

Post by VaDeb »

HI,
Ellis Island is familysearch.org YOu have to register to see images of the manifest, but it is free.

Just realized I posted the wrong address for Ellis Island. It is

http://www.ellisisland.org

Page 1
http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 0566%2ETIF

Page 2
http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 1469070321

I have also been looking at some census and vital records from California. I haven't found anything that looks promising. To recap

Husband is Robert Morelli
Wife is G. Morelli
Children Dario and James

One question. In Italy women do not loose their maiden names. What was the maiden name of the wife? In an earlier post you said Morelli was her maiden name. If that is correct, shouldn't we be looking for a different Roberto?

Debbie
pepita.az
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 67
Joined: 01 Jun 2005, 00:00

Re: Does Myrtus Av. still exist in CA???

Post by pepita.az »

VaDeb wrote:HI,
Ellis Island is familysearch.org YOu have to register to see images of the manifest, but it is free.

Page 1
http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 0566%2ETIF

Page 2
http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 1469070321

I have also been looking at some census and vital records from California. I haven't found anything that looks promising. To recap

Husband is Robert Morelli
Wife is G. Morelli
Children Dario and James

One question. In Italy women do not loose their maiden names. What was the maiden name of the wife? In an earlier post you said Morelli was her maiden name. If that is correct, shouldn't we be looking for a different Roberto?

Debbie
Hello Debbie, Thank you! :D
What you say is true.

We don't loose our maiden name, not always at least.
But there are women, let's say "old fashioned", who prefer to use their husband's surname.
In the past it happened very often.
My grandfather says Morelli was her maiden name, but he might be wrong.

Yes,
G Morelli = wife
Roberto= husband
Dario & Jimmy(probably James)= sons.

this saturday I'll meet my grandfather to take the letter and write everything he remembers.
Anyway, I have no words to thank all of you guys...
I'll let you know... Peps.
pepita.az
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 67
Joined: 01 Jun 2005, 00:00

Re: Does Myrtus Av. still exist in CA???

Post by pepita.az »

wldspirit wrote:Using Roberto, Robert, and even Bob..... :roll: ......I could find no record of
a family with sons Dario and Jimmy..(James).....in California.......we need more info.....perhaps there is some way for you to find a birth or marriage record for your grandfather's cousin.......until then, we will wait for postmark........
wldspirit

Hello Wild,
what do you think abt all these suggestions?
Do you think we're gettin closer to solution?
i'll meet my grandfather saturday...

heard anything else?
Hugs, peps.
User avatar
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 1302
Joined: 06 Oct 2003, 00:00

Re: Does Myrtus Av. still exist in CA???

Post by VaDeb »

Hi Pepita,

If Morelli was her maiden name, then Roberto would have a different surname. That would explain not finding them in the census. They would be listed under his name.

Debbie
pepita.az
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 67
Joined: 01 Jun 2005, 00:00

Re: Does Myrtus Av. still exist in CA???

Post by pepita.az »

VaDeb wrote:Hi Pepita,

If Morelli was her maiden name, then Roberto would have a different surname. That would explain not finding them in the census. They would be listed under his name.

Debbie

Debbie,
if it's so, didn't you find any female G Morelli in the census?
Peps..
pepita.az
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 67
Joined: 01 Jun 2005, 00:00

Re: Does Myrtus Av. still exist in CA???

Post by pepita.az »

goldhunter wrote:Hi Alessia,

I went back and looked at the Ellis Island record for Roberto Morelli. He came to the U.S. in 1910 at the age of 29. It mentions his wife Giovanna but nothing else. It also says that he was from Paganico. I found two Paganicos in Italy, one in the area of Rome and the other in Tuscany ... there may be more. He left Italy from Naples so my best guess is that it would be Paganico Sabino in Lazio. His record is very hard to read but it appears he went to N.Y., (possibly Buffalo) to his in-law, Luigi xxxxx. I can't make out the last name. He may have been traveling with a Francesco or Francesca Alfonsetti, also from Paganico. On the record it does mention that Roberto was bald. This may be something your grandfather might remember.

It was not uncommon for Italians who first settled on the east coast of the United States to move to California, (especially in the 1950's and 1960's). I know several who did it myself.

The location for the archived property records for Temple City is at: 500 W. Temple #205, Los Angeles. (213) 974-3429

Best wishes and good luck, ... Jay

Hi Everybody!!!!!
I saw the doc on EllisIsl.
It's PAGANICA (Abruzzo) not PaganicO (Tuscany or Rome)...
does it make any diffierence to you???

besos, peps.
wldspirit
Staff
Staff
Posts: 5606
Joined: 17 Nov 2004, 00:00
Location: U.S.A.
Contact:

Re: Does Myrtus Av. still exist in CA???

Post by wldspirit »

Deb,
I checked stats on census using first name Roberto, Robert and even Bob......
I could find no family fitting that description using the children as key factor. For one we need a more accurate time frame......I did not check any of the other states. Jay had an excellent point....they may have "relocated" to Cali from another state. I am hoping the envelope or letter will provide us with additional info.....
I don't know of other states, especially one as big and busy as LA,
but here you can go to the county courts and research a properties history,
can this also be done in Cali????
Lisa
pepita.az
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 67
Joined: 01 Jun 2005, 00:00

Re: Does Myrtus Av. still exist in CA???

Post by pepita.az »

wldspirit wrote:Deb,
I checked stats on census using first name Roberto, Robert and even Bob......
I could find no family fitting that description using the children as key factor. For one we need a more accurate time frame......I did not check any of the other states. Jay had an excellent point....they may have "relocated" to Cali from another state. I am hoping the envelope or letter will provide us with additional info.....
I don't know of other states, especially one as big and busy as LA,
but here you can go to the county courts and research a properties history,
can this also be done in Cali????
Lisa
Hello Lisa :D ,
Grazie anche a te for interesting in my matter...
Peps...
wldspirit
Staff
Staff
Posts: 5606
Joined: 17 Nov 2004, 00:00
Location: U.S.A.
Contact:

Re: Does Myrtus Av. still exist in CA???

Post by wldspirit »

Alessia,
We have a great team here at Italian Genealogy......we will find something,
but we need more info.

Italian women use their maiden surname........US women use their "husbands" surname.......only in recent times do US women start to keep their own names......

When you talk to your grandfather, find out all he knows........perhaps there is another family member who will know more info........and check the letter and envelope for more clues.........

I will call Temple City to see what I can find out............
Lisa
pepita.az
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 67
Joined: 01 Jun 2005, 00:00

Re: Does Myrtus Av. still exist in CA???

Post by pepita.az »

wldspirit wrote:Alessia,
We have a great team here at Italian Genealogy......we will find something,
but we need more info.

Italian women use their maiden surname........US women use their "husbands" surname.......only in recent times do US women start to keep their own names......

When you talk to your grandfather, find out all he knows........perhaps there is another family member who will know more info........and check the letter and envelope for more clues.........

I will call Temple City to see what I can find out............
Lisa
Cool Girl.... :wink: ..thank you!
wldspirit
Staff
Staff
Posts: 5606
Joined: 17 Nov 2004, 00:00
Location: U.S.A.
Contact:

Re: Does Myrtus Av. still exist in CA???

Post by wldspirit »

Ok Alessia,
I have found this.....
It is possible to request search for birth using mother and childs
name, but we must have mothers FULL maiden name......
so again, we must discover the correct name of G. Morelli.....

Also, using the current owners name (which I have) and the current
address(no longer 5144 Myrtus Ave.....that property is no longer,
is NOW 5142 Myrtus Ave) it is possible to search history of ownership,
but it must be done in person. The records go back to 1850.
The next question would be....did the family own this property or rent
this property? If someone were to go and look for this info,
it would be time consuming.

So in summary, we need for you to find the following from your
nonno or some other family member:

G stands for what name?
Morelli is maiden name or married name?
If maiden name, what is Roberto's surname?
Immigration in abt. what year?
Ages, birthdates or a rough estimate of Roberto, G. and sons
Dario and Jimmy(James)......
What is their town of origin?
Can you possibly find a birth or marriage certificate?

Do not despair...if we can uncover this info, then we can surely find
your family.

Regards,
Lisa

*Does any of our more experienced members have any other suggestions as to what else can be done here??*
User avatar
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 1302
Joined: 06 Oct 2003, 00:00

Re: Does Myrtus Av. still exist in CA???

Post by VaDeb »

Wildspirit,
I think you have summarized the information needed.

Usually we start with records here in the USA and work backwards. This time the opposite approach is called for. If a relative does not have answers, research at the town of origin is needed. To find this family we need to know what name G stands for and whether Morelli is the maiden or married name.

Pepita,
I know it won't be as fast as you hoped for, but can you trace this line back through vital records to find this cousin's records in Italy? Perhaps order the Stato di famiglia originario?

Debbie
pepita.az
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 67
Joined: 01 Jun 2005, 00:00

Re: Does Myrtus Av. still exist in CA???

Post by pepita.az »

wldspirit wrote:Ok Alessia,
I have found this.....
It is possible to request search for birth using mother and childs
name, but we must have mothers FULL maiden name......
so again, we must discover the correct name of G. Morelli.....

Also, using the current owners name (which I have) and the current
address(no longer 5144 Myrtus Ave.....that property is no longer,
is NOW 5142 Myrtus Ave) it is possible to search history of ownership,
but it must be done in person. The records go back to 1850.
The next question would be....did the family own this property or rent
this property? If someone were to go and look for this info,
it would be time consuming.

So in summary, we need for you to find the following from your
nonno or some other family member:

G stands for what name?
Morelli is maiden name or married name?
If maiden name, what is Roberto's surname?
Immigration in abt. what year?
Ages, birthdates or a rough estimate of Roberto, G. and sons
Dario and Jimmy(James)......
What is their town of origin?
Can you possibly find a birth or marriage certificate?

Do not despair...if we can uncover this info, then we can surely find
your family.

Regards,
Lisa

*Does any of our more experienced members have any other suggestions as to what else can be done here??*
Allora Lisa,
I'll try with mio nonno.
I'm just scared he can't remember everything. :(

What happens if I can't work it out?
Do we have any chances to succed other ways?
Hugs, Peps. :lol:
pepita.az
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 67
Joined: 01 Jun 2005, 00:00

Re: Does Myrtus Av. still exist in CA???

Post by pepita.az »

VaDeb wrote:Wildspirit,
I think you have summarized the information needed.

Usually we start with records here in the USA and work backwards. This time the opposite approach is called for. If a relative does not have answers, research at the town of origin is needed. To find this family we need to know what name G stands for and whether Morelli is the maiden or married name.

Pepita,
I know it won't be as fast as you hoped for, but can you trace this line back through vital records to find this cousin's records in Italy? Perhaps order the Stato di famiglia originario?

Debbie
Debbie,
that's ok, santo cielo, don't worry!
I've been waiting for 28 yrs I think I can wait even longer.
I only wish to know something before...I don't know what...my nonno is 90 yrs old, you know..and he's the last member of the family who might remember something.
Anyway you gave me the right advice: Lo stato di famiglia! I'll try with this...

Have a nice weekend all of you, hugs - Ale :D
wldspirit
Staff
Staff
Posts: 5606
Joined: 17 Nov 2004, 00:00
Location: U.S.A.
Contact:

Re: Does Myrtus Av. still exist in CA???

Post by wldspirit »

My Nonno is almost 90......so I know it is hard to talk to them.....they do
not always remember......but it seems the more we talk about the past.....the more he does remember.....little things here and there......I ask him a question today, he doesn't remember.....I ask same thing tomorrow, and he gives me the right answer!!!!!!

When you have all info's......we will surely find something for you......
hugs,
Lisa :D
Post Reply