Surname Ciarla/Ciarlo to Charles

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
erwinl
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: 03 Feb 2012, 01:26

Re: Surname Ciarla/Ciarlo to Charles

Post by erwinl »

This is a Baptism photo, Ida was three years old, the family waited for the Godfather to return from a trip to Italy. Godmother is Rachel
Ciarlo. This photo is precious to us Rachel died when my mother was only 17 years old we have so few photo's of her. I do believe that Ida is the flower girl in my Grandparents wedding photo her sister Nan agrees with me. I had a long visit with my cousin Dave and Nan today, we spent several hours talking about the family.Leonardo Ciarlo and Maria Antonia Nervina families were very close.

Lorraine
User avatar
daveferro
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 112
Joined: 06 Jun 2006, 00:00
Location: Auburn, New York
Contact:

Re: Surname Ciarla/Ciarlo to Charles

Post by daveferro »

OOPs - Hi Livio - good to hear from you and correcting me again! Remember the Piazza photo that was backward?

There are other First Communions going on including my granddaughter's on Easter.

The picture is of Ida for Baptism (that family seemed to wait a long time for this) and the delay was because the godfather had gone to Italy to visit his wife and two daughters.

Thanks,

Dave

Lorraine already answered this - not sure how Livio's post got between that and this
Ferro (from Ferri), Capriotti(TE); De(i)Marzio, Nervina(o), Colucci, Gatto, Testa(CB); Basile(BA) ; Bianchi(AQ); Augello, Bissi, Iacono(AG); Pisano(), Impaglia () Friends looking also: Vivenzio (SA); LoPiccolo(PA)-seems to be Lopicolo originally
User avatar
liviomoreno
Master
Master
Posts: 7116
Joined: 13 Feb 2004, 00:00
Location: Rome, Italy
Contact:

Re: Surname Ciarla/Ciarlo to Charles

Post by liviomoreno »

Hi Dave :wink: !

BTW I had my First Communion when I was 5y and 3m old! I don't know how my parents where able to arrange it but as a matter of fact I had my First Communion in the same day of my older brother and sister...
User avatar
daveferro
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 112
Joined: 06 Jun 2006, 00:00
Location: Auburn, New York
Contact:

Re: Surname Ciarla/Ciarlo to Charles

Post by daveferro »

I thought I had my Baptism late at 6 months (my parents could not agree on a name) but some relatives had it at 3 years.

And my First Communion was at 5 also - just sent my daughter some photos from then. We looked very angelic.

Did you ask your your siblings how it came to be? That would be a good story.

My mother is very happy that her great-granddaughter is in a Catholic school and getting her First Communion. Can't wait to drive over to Rochester and see them.

Dave
Ferro (from Ferri), Capriotti(TE); De(i)Marzio, Nervina(o), Colucci, Gatto, Testa(CB); Basile(BA) ; Bianchi(AQ); Augello, Bissi, Iacono(AG); Pisano(), Impaglia () Friends looking also: Vivenzio (SA); LoPiccolo(PA)-seems to be Lopicolo originally
User avatar
daveferro
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 112
Joined: 06 Jun 2006, 00:00
Location: Auburn, New York
Contact:

Re: Surname Ciarla/Ciarlo to Charles

Post by daveferro »

Lorraine,

Here's the aerial photo of the Alco factory and area. I said the blue building along Columbus Street was called the Navy building because it was put up during the war and they made diesel engines for submarines, etc. Aunt Gracie worked there then; she said they told her the plates she worked on were for tanks. She is in a photo of the baseball team. I was surprised to see that photo in the first book I showed you titled Around Auburn.

Image

And the postcard of the LVRR station:

Image

Forgot that I had a 1959 City Directory that Stan gave me. Jos Busco is listed at 39 Jefferson, jan Cayuga County Savings Bank. No Ciarla or Carone.

Also: website for the Onondaga Historical Association;
http://www.cnyhistory.org/

And the Solvay-Geddes Historical Society = they have online City Directories - found the Bianchi family store and knew they also were at the salt works.
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~nysghs/

The Cayuga Museum also has the big tax map books and there is the Cayuga County Historian's Office too. All will be visited.

Dave
Ferro (from Ferri), Capriotti(TE); De(i)Marzio, Nervina(o), Colucci, Gatto, Testa(CB); Basile(BA) ; Bianchi(AQ); Augello, Bissi, Iacono(AG); Pisano(), Impaglia () Friends looking also: Vivenzio (SA); LoPiccolo(PA)-seems to be Lopicolo originally
User avatar
daveferro
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 112
Joined: 06 Jun 2006, 00:00
Location: Auburn, New York
Contact:

Re: Surname Ciarla/Ciarlo to Charles

Post by daveferro »

The photos are cut off on the right in these windows - so you can't see the LVRR station and roundhouse - just right click, Save As, and use a viewer. If you can convert to pdf, then magnifying without distortion would be possible. I used a photo loupe and could see my aunt's house near the corner of Barber and Spring Streets across the river.

Remembered that I had sent a scan of the Alco photo to the Lehigh Valley RR site
http://lvrr.com/ - they also have three views of the station plus the yard.

And don't forget (like I did) that LDS Family Research site has town records now for a growing number of places, so you may not have to order a microfilm:
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/default.asp


Dave
Ferro (from Ferri), Capriotti(TE); De(i)Marzio, Nervina(o), Colucci, Gatto, Testa(CB); Basile(BA) ; Bianchi(AQ); Augello, Bissi, Iacono(AG); Pisano(), Impaglia () Friends looking also: Vivenzio (SA); LoPiccolo(PA)-seems to be Lopicolo originally
User avatar
daveferro
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 112
Joined: 06 Jun 2006, 00:00
Location: Auburn, New York
Contact:

Re: Surname Ciarla/Ciarlo to Charles

Post by daveferro »

In the Feb. 27, 2012 post, I stated:
daveferro wrote: There are two other posters: jimnerv who is Tony Nervina's son who lives in Owasco (but probably has as much as his father) and also jnervina - so PM them, too.
Dave
Tony corrected me after Mass today that Jim is his nephew, not son. I told him I better make a family chart to keep everyone straight.
Ferro (from Ferri), Capriotti(TE); De(i)Marzio, Nervina(o), Colucci, Gatto, Testa(CB); Basile(BA) ; Bianchi(AQ); Augello, Bissi, Iacono(AG); Pisano(), Impaglia () Friends looking also: Vivenzio (SA); LoPiccolo(PA)-seems to be Lopicolo originally
erwinl
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: 03 Feb 2012, 01:26

Re: Surname Ciarla/Ciarlo to Charles

Post by erwinl »

Found Ellis Island record for Raimondo Giuseppe Antonio Michel Ciarla while searching for my great grandmother's records.

Giuseppe did not travel to America with his brother Leonardo as previously thought.

Giuseppe's name is listed as Antonio Ciarla on the ship's manifest, he is meeting his brother Leonardo at 338 E113 NY

He is traveling with Leonardo's wife and son Maria Antonia Corona and 3 year old Raffaele Ciarla.
They are meeting husband and father Leonardo at 338 E113 NY

They sailed from Naples Feb 24,1903 on the S.S. Phoenicia arrived in New York March 16, 1903.

I'm sorry that I am unable to post the ships manifest.
Post Reply