I am seeking help in locating my mother-in-law’s grandfather, Vincenzo Cassella and step-grandmother, Serafina Saponi in Wilmington, Delaware.
Alternate spelling: Casella
Ship Manifest: Jul 20, 1906 http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipM ... 0105%2ETIF
They were First Class Passengers, and this was a sore subject for my mother-in-law as her parents came in steerage!
Vincenzo was born about 1856. (Age 50)
Serafina was born about 1882. (Age 25)
Costantino abt 1905 was on the ship manifest, but cannot locate once in the US.
Difficult to read name of brother-in-law listed on manifest.
I have found birth records for
Stalia 1906 to 1909. Died of pneumonia.
Peter 1908 (1909) to 1994. Have correspondence with Wilmington, Del address.
Sarah Fina 1910 to unk.
Mary 1911 – 1931. Have picture and death certificate. She is buried in the Cathedral Cemetery in Wilmington.
Vincenzo was identified as “Jamie” on Stalia’s death certificate and Mary’s birth certificate. Identified as Vincenzo on Sarafina’s birth and Mary’s death certificates.
I have been unable to locate the family in any census records. I have even tried to read the 1920 Census for Wilmington, Delaware page by page for the address listed on Sara Fina’s birth certificate, but cannot seen to get to the correct block! Address: 1913 W 4th St, Wilmington, Del.
Any help would be appreciated.
Cassella from Teramo, Italy to Wilmington, Delaware
Re: Cassella from Teramo, Italy to Wilmington, Delaware
I'm seeing brother in law was Giuseppe (Gppe) Epifania.
Biff
Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
Re: Cassella from Teramo, Italy to Wilmington, Delaware
Possible 1930 United States Federal Census
Name: James Casello
Gender: Male
Birth Year: abt 1857
Birthplace: Italy
Race: White
Home in 1930: District 10, New Castle, Delaware
View Map
Marital Status: Widowed
Immigration Year: 1906
Relation to Head of House: Father
Father's Birthplace: Italy
Mother's Birthplace: Italy
Household Members: Name Age
Nazzereno Cicconi 41
Sarah Cicconi 45
Mary Cicconi 18
William Cicconi 16
Julia Cicconi 15
Nancy Cicconi 13
Rosa Cicconi 11
Ralph Cicconi 9
Marino Cicconi 8
Margauretta Cicconi 6
James Casello 73, widowed
http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/5207/casello1930.jpg
Biff
Name: James Casello
Gender: Male
Birth Year: abt 1857
Birthplace: Italy
Race: White
Home in 1930: District 10, New Castle, Delaware
View Map
Marital Status: Widowed
Immigration Year: 1906
Relation to Head of House: Father
Father's Birthplace: Italy
Mother's Birthplace: Italy
Household Members: Name Age
Nazzereno Cicconi 41
Sarah Cicconi 45
Mary Cicconi 18
William Cicconi 16
Julia Cicconi 15
Nancy Cicconi 13
Rosa Cicconi 11
Ralph Cicconi 9
Marino Cicconi 8
Margauretta Cicconi 6
James Casello 73, widowed
http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/5207/casello1930.jpg
Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
Re: Cassella from Teramo, Italy to Wilmington, Delaware
Thank you for the post. At first glance, the census page looked promising. "James" age is correct. The other individuals do not match the information I already have. If he is the "father-in-law" instead of "father", Sarah could be his daughter, but her age is incorrect. She would have been 20 in 1930.
klo84
Re: Cassella from Teramo, Italy to Wilmington, Delaware
Any chance that Vincenzo had another wife and child(ren) before he married Serafina Saponi? That would explain the relationship in the 1930 census; he'd be living with his daughter, son in law and grandchildren.
Here's Nazzareno Ciccone's WWII Draft Card. Note his birthplace could be Teramo.
http://img576.imageshack.us/img576/686/cicconewwii.jpg
Biff
Here's Nazzareno Ciccone's WWII Draft Card. Note his birthplace could be Teramo.
http://img576.imageshack.us/img576/686/cicconewwii.jpg
Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
Re: Cassella from Teramo, Italy to Wilmington, Delaware
He was married to my mother-in-law's grandmother, Carmela Grimaldi. Carmela died when my mother-in-law's mother was very young. Vincenzo married his second wife, Sarafina Saponi prior to emigrating to the US.
klo84
Re: Cassella from Teramo, Italy to Wilmington, Delaware
My mother-in-law's maiden name was DeMarzio (DiMarzio). Vincenzo lived with his new family in Delaware, and not with my mother-in-law's family in Philadelphia.
klo84
- Joannsalvo
- Elite

- Posts: 304
- Joined: 10 Feb 2008, 15:31
- Location: NJ
Re: Cassella from Teramo, Italy to Wilmington, Delaware
You may know this already but Teramo civil records are on familysearch.org.
Re: Cassella from Teramo, Italy to Wilmington, Delaware
My mother-in-law passed away last year. After going through her papers, I found her parents' passports from Italy. I now have names to pursue through the films. Plan on doing that this summer. Still looking for Vincenzo (aka Jamie/James) in Wilmington, Del in the 1920 and 1930 census. Any help would be appreciated.
klo84
- vintagegamer
- Veteran

- Posts: 144
- Joined: 17 Dec 2007, 03:54
- Contact:
Re: Cassella from Teramo, Italy to Wilmington, Delaware
Hello Klo,
I can try to help you if you need help locally. I live on the DE/MD line and I have Italian relatives buried in Cathedral as well. Did your family happen to come to DE to work for the DuPont's? Many came at that time because the DuPont family employed them for both horticulture as well as working at their gunpowder mill in Wilmington.
I can try to help you if you need help locally. I live on the DE/MD line and I have Italian relatives buried in Cathedral as well. Did your family happen to come to DE to work for the DuPont's? Many came at that time because the DuPont family employed them for both horticulture as well as working at their gunpowder mill in Wilmington.
Re: Cassella from Teramo, Italy to Wilmington, Delaware
vintagegamer:
I have gone online to view records at Cathedral Cemetery, WIlmington, De. Is there an office at the cemetery? I live in PA; less than 20 minutes from Wilmington. I would like to visit the cemetery, but would like to not have to roam for hours!
I still cannot find the census records!
I have gone online to view records at Cathedral Cemetery, WIlmington, De. Is there an office at the cemetery? I live in PA; less than 20 minutes from Wilmington. I would like to visit the cemetery, but would like to not have to roam for hours!
I still cannot find the census records!
klo84

