I am trying to find my great-grandfather's sister. In the ship manifest on the Ellis Island website her name is listed as Carmina http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipm ... 894962464&
In her mother's obituary her name is Carmela and her married name is Penchant and she lived in Chicago. I have looked on Ancestry.com for Carmela Penchant, Carmina Penchant, and just Penchant, but I haven't had any luck. I don't know what her husband's name was. Some more information about her is she was born in about 1887 possibly in Castel San Giorgio and her parents names are Sabato Galluzzo and Rosalina Botta. She had at least 5 brothers and their names are Luigi, Antonio, Raffaele, and Giovanni. Also, when they came to the United States Galluzzo was changed to Galluzzi. Any information would be very helpful. Thank you in advance.
Help finding great-grandfather's sister
-
tcrawford246
- Rookie

- Posts: 35
- Joined: 14 Feb 2012, 03:09
Re: Help finding great-grandfather's sister
Closest I could find... Carmela Penna, age 44 in the 1930 Census for Chicago
She is a proprietor of a candy store, and her husband is a laborer on the railroad.
Age and year of immigration is about right
According to the record, they married about 1905.
1930 United States Federal Census
Name: Carmela Penna
Gender: Female
Birth Year: abt 1886
Birthplace: Italy
Race: White
Home in 1930: Chicago, Cook, Illinois
View Map
Marital Status: Married
Immigration Year: 1905
Relation to Head of House: Wife
Spouse's Name: Dony Penna (probably Tony)
Father's Birthplace: Italy
Mother's Birthplace: Italy
Occupation:
Household Members:
Name Age
Dony Penna 54
Carmela Penna 44

T.
She is a proprietor of a candy store, and her husband is a laborer on the railroad.
Age and year of immigration is about right
According to the record, they married about 1905.
1930 United States Federal Census
Name: Carmela Penna
Gender: Female
Birth Year: abt 1886
Birthplace: Italy
Race: White
Home in 1930: Chicago, Cook, Illinois
View Map
Marital Status: Married
Immigration Year: 1905
Relation to Head of House: Wife
Spouse's Name: Dony Penna (probably Tony)
Father's Birthplace: Italy
Mother's Birthplace: Italy
Occupation:
Household Members:
Name Age
Dony Penna 54
Carmela Penna 44

T.
-
tcrawford246
- Rookie

- Posts: 35
- Joined: 14 Feb 2012, 03:09
Re: Help finding great-grandfather's sister
Is there anyway to out what her maiden name was to verify if she is the same woman I am looking for? Also, was it common to see last names changed from one document to another(Penchant in her mother's obituary and Penna in the census)?
Re: Help finding great-grandfather's sister
Do you know where she was married?tcrawford246 wrote:Is there anyway to out what her maiden name was to verify if she is the same woman I am looking for?
I think the best source would be her marriage license...
You could request her Social Security application (SS-5), but it would be difficult because you don't know her last name
Also, was it common to see last names changed from one document to another(Penchant in her mother's obituary and Penna in the census)?
Information given in obituaries, and on death certificates are known for being inaccurate. The information was provided by a living relative who often did not know the facts, but rather family stories.
T.
-
tcrawford246
- Rookie

- Posts: 35
- Joined: 14 Feb 2012, 03:09
Re: Help finding great-grandfather's sister
No, I don't know where she was married. On the ship manifest it said she was coming to Brockway, PA, so I'm going to go to the church and check there, but I think that one of her brothers moved to Chicago, so maybe she went with him and was married there. I have no idea.
