I was told that my grandfather was an orphan and was adopted by Vincenzo Colonese.
However, in researching my grandfather I discovered that Vincenzo Colonese left Italy to come to the United States when my grandfather was only 3 years old and that he was single at the time.
My grandfather left Italy at the age of 12 to come to the USA and he listed Vincenzo Colonese as his father.
My assumption is that my grandfather was illegitimate and that Mr. Colonese was his birth father.
I know his town of birth and his actual birth date.
Is it possible that a small town would list the unmarried parents of a child born out of wedlock?
And how much information would I have to give to the town in order to find such a birth certificate?
Researching illegitimate children
- Italysearcher
- Master

- Posts: 3470
- Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 19:58
- Location: Sora, Italy
- Contact:
Re: Researching illegitimate children
Request his birth record from the town under the name shown on the ship manifest. If his father 'recognised' him it will be written there. Ask for a photocopy of the original and it should even state to whom he was given for breastfeeding.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
Re: Researching illegitimate children
Thank you. I'll give that a try.
