Hello, I've been searching through the civil records on ancestry.com for my family's town in Sicily (Mazzarino, Caltanissetta), and I noticed that women are listed by their maiden names for all records, even if they were married. I also found that my widowed Great Grandmother traveled to the United States under her maiden name even though she was in her 60's. Is this typical in Italian culture for women to use their maiden names for civil purposes?
Also, on the death records I noticed frequent examples of the deceased being listed as "di Santo" or "di Dio", as in the following:
"... morto Salvatore Coniglio, nato in Mazzarino, da fu Santo, e da fu Maria di Dio ..."
Does this just mean that the father's first name was Santo, or does this mean something unique?
Thanks,
TJ
Maiden Names in Italian Records, etc
Re: Maiden Names in Italian Records, etc
Yes, in Italy maiden name is used by women all along their life. Till the 1970's, it was also usual to add husband's name.
As to the sentence you mention, it would be good to see the document. Anyway, if I should read just as you write it, I'd say Santo was father's first name, and "di Dio" was mother's maiden surname.
As to the sentence you mention, it would be good to see the document. Anyway, if I should read just as you write it, I'd say Santo was father's first name, and "di Dio" was mother's maiden surname.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi
Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
-
thomasfarina
- Newbie

- Posts: 17
- Joined: 05 Jun 2012, 03:47
Re: Maiden Names in Italian Records, etc
Thank you -- very interesting!
Re: Maiden Names in Italian Records, etc
Thank You for asking the question, I have been wondering the same thing myself just never asked. Using the maiden name makes research much easier.
Tom
Tom

