What does this name mean,if anything?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Post Reply
User avatar
xero
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: 12 Nov 2006, 00:00

What does this name mean,if anything?

Post by xero »

I have been looking for the meaning of my ancestors name,Scarvaci,but can find nothing. I was told that it had no meaning,it was just a name.The
name seems to be from the Messina,Sicily area. Thanks in advance for any help.
Xero
User avatar
Moneyman2010mn
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 14
Joined: 07 Oct 2006, 00:00

Re: What does this name mean,if anything?

Post by Moneyman2010mn »

Sorry but when I type in the last name at ancestry.com a meaning wasn't provided. Maybe someone else will have better luck looking it up.
User avatar
Graffeo
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 82
Joined: 05 Oct 2006, 00:00
Location: Cedar Hill, TX

Re: What does this name mean,if anything?

Post by Graffeo »

xero wrote:I have been looking for the meaning of my ancestors name,Scarvaci,but can find nothing. I was told that it had no meaning,it was just a name.The
name seems to be from the Messina,Sicily area. Thanks in advance for any help.
Xero
At the Ellis Island web site there are about 50 immigrants listed with the surname of Scarvaci and a lot of them came from Naso in Sicily. It might help if you look up the history of that town, centuries ago it may have been under Saracen influence and your name may be a arab word that has been latinized. You might have to trace it back through your ancestors to make sure it is not a corrupted form of another, more usual name.

From an article I found online:

"Since the spelling of surnames was rarely consistent in medieval times, and scribes and church officials recorded names as they sounded rather than adhering to any specific spelling rules, it was common to find the same individual referred to with different spellings of his surname in the ancient chronicles."
Hope this helps.
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: What does this name mean,if anything?

Post by suanj »

the Scarvaci surname, is most probable a mistaken version of SCARPACI/ SCARPACE sicilian surname,..... for the meaning ricbru member can help better.. regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
scarpo
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: 04 Sep 2012, 09:31

Re: What does this name mean,if anything?

Post by scarpo »

My surname is SCARVACI & my parents came from Naso in Sicily They migrated to Australia in 1950
Carlo Scarvaci
Post Reply