Guatieri Family History

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Guatieri Family History

Post by suanj »

Why, I found another Augustine Guatieri in UK, but engineer and born in 1836(no 1828), so is totally another person, but same first name and same surname, and listed as coming from ROME, Italy................why is already an rare surname, and little people emigrated, is an strange coincidence that 2 Augustine Guatieri emigrated in UK, but of various profession...
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Guatieri Family History

Post by suanj »

Is wrote Agustus(latin) no Augustine, but always same first name:
Augustus Guattar(Guatieri)
abt 1836 Rome, Italy Visitor
5 Gateley R, Lambeth, London, England
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
User avatar
sidtindall
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 34
Joined: 11 May 2005, 00:00
Location: Australia

Re: Guatieri Family History

Post by sidtindall »

I have printed the original copy of the 1901 census from Ancestry.com and found that there were 34 people living at the residence of 9 Montague Street, one of them being Michael (my great grandfather) and his family. I was wondering if the other women in the house could also be daughters of Augustino as he is the last person listed at the residence.Michael may have had other sisters.
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Guatieri Family History

Post by suanj »

Sidtindall, about Florence birthplace suggested; in Florence( and also in Pistoia, and Pescia, same area and region) was no Guatieri, but are GUATIER; very similar.....in 1869( I see only 1 Florence's church record), 28 May are an Giuseppe Emilio Cesare Gautier( 1 person in total)............your family memories sayng Florence...?suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
User avatar
sidtindall
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 34
Joined: 11 May 2005, 00:00
Location: Australia

Re: Guatieri Family History

Post by sidtindall »

I have found the marriage for Concetta Guatieri and Angelo Antonio Funda(spelt Fionda) in register in Sept Quarter 1889 in Bristol. I think you are correct in assuming that Concetta and Michael may have been brother and sister. The reference to Florence was a suggestion from another relative, but you are probably correct to say they have not come from Florence but from Rome, or somewhere else. If that is where Augustino(the father-in-law) originated. I have found 1 family with the Guatieri name currently in Province Isernia, Molise, Rochetta al Volturno, and 11 families in Scapoli. Maybe we were correct in the first instance and thought they came from this area.
L-P Australia
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Guatieri Family History

Post by suanj »

sidtindall wrote:I have found the marriage for Concetta Guatieri and Angelo Antonio Funda(spelt Fionda) in register in Sept Quarter 1889 in Bristol. I think you are correct in assuming that Concetta and Michael may have been brother and sister. The reference to Florence was a suggestion from another relative, but you are probably correct to say they have not come from Florence but from Rome, or somewhere else. If that is where Augustino(the father-in-law) originated. I have found 1 family with the Guatieri name currently in Province Isernia, Molise, Rochetta al Volturno, and 11 families in Scapoli. Maybe we were correct in the first instance and thought they came from this area.
Hi, really are also Fionda surname in same area of Guatieri surname... Guatieri is an mistaken version, originated in the past, of original Gualtieri surname, and so remained in the time... This particular spelling, are in Molise region, where I live, and many molisian people was emigrated in Roma, so that in Roma town are present many molisian surnames from many time...also about Diflorio( are an Giuseppina Guatieri Diflorio) surname, well exact spelling is DI FLORIO, again an original surname of same areas... well I hope that you can find some other record about Concetta, why I think that was an michael(Michele) sister.. regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
User avatar
sidtindall
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 34
Joined: 11 May 2005, 00:00
Location: Australia

Re: Guatieri Family History

Post by sidtindall »

:) If the naming structure of Italian families has been applied to Michael's family I believe that his mothers name would have been Maria. Concetta's second daughter is also named Maria. I don't suppose you can find any records of an Agostino(Augustino) Guatieri married to a Maria in the Molise area records? You have been so much help .Thankyou :)
L-P Australia
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Guatieri Family History

Post by suanj »

Before to start with italian search, are necessary more and sure details...

and sure is more easy to find Michael(1869) and Concetta that Augustino and Maria.....
about Concetta guatieri, married Fionda, well, this surname: Fionda, in years interested from emigration, was sure present in Cassino, S. Elia Fiumerapido (both Lazio region..near Rome), Sant'Angelo Limosano (Molise region) and also in some other region, but this surname no most diffused, is diffused in Molise and Lazio especially... are interesting this record: Louis FIONDA and Mary wife, from Bristol, England that came in USA to Detroit, Michigan... the interesting input is the address in Bristol http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 0084%2ETIF
in this manifest are mentiond, as english contact, the Mrs Fionda
perhaps, can help about the relationship between Concetta Fionda nee Guatieri and Michael Guatieri....
another interesting input is that Louis joining with S. AZZOLI uncle in Detroit: this surname also coming from Cassino and Sant'Elia Fiumerapido...
the area for Guatieri, Fionda, Azzoli is between South Lazio and North Molise.........

regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
User avatar
sidtindall
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 34
Joined: 11 May 2005, 00:00
Location: Australia

Re: Guatieri Family History

Post by sidtindall »

The Louis Fionda listed on this ellis island manifest is probably Luigi Fionda born in the March Quarter of 1892 son of Concetta and Angelantonio. He probably said his name was Lui and they spelt it Louis. I can't find a marriage for him as yet but I will keep looking. There is a death record for Louis Fionda in Michigan USA that says he was born 29/12/1891 and died Mar 1965. There is also a Mary Fionda born 30/07/1891 and died 15/11/1988. Also Angelo another son emmigrated to USA. I will find out some more.
L-P Australia
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Guatieri Family History

Post by suanj »

This S. Azzoli is, most probable, Stefano AZZOLI, married, that came from Cassino; born in 1883 and that came in Detroit in 1907, age 23 http://ellisisland.org/search/shipmanif ... 1940170265
so is important to descover if was an brother in law of Concetta, or of Angelantonio Fionda husband...
if you can find the marriage of Angelantonio Fionda/Concetta Guatieri, well the solution could be very near.... suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Guatieri Family History

Post by suanj »

About Fionda people in England:

Name Estimated Birth Year Birthplace Relationship to head-of-house Civil parish County

Fonda, Maddalena* abt 1865 St Angels Castins Caserta, Italy Lodger Hammersmith London

* Maddalena (from reading sure is FIONDA)coming from Sant'Angelo,Cassino, Caserta (in the past in Caserta province, now in Frosinone province); Sant'Angelo... hmmm, could means Sant'Angelo in Theodice, near Cassino http://www.viamichelin.com/viamichelin/ ... trChoice=0

Funda, Angalo A abt 1851 Italy Head St James Gloucestershire
Funda, Cuielto(Concetta) abt 1867 Italy Wife St James Gloucestershire
Funda, Francisco abt 1855 Italy Head St James Gloucestershire
Funda, Lena abt 1872 Italy Wife St James Gloucestershire

Angelantonio FIONDA was born in 1851, and Concetta wife in 1867; Michael in 1869, really colud be the brother of Concetta....
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Guatieri Family History

Post by suanj »

sidtindall wrote:I have printed the original copy of the 1901 census from Ancestry.com and found that there were 34 people living at the residence of 9 Montague Street, one of them being Michael (my great grandfather) and his family. I was wondering if the other women in the house could also be daughters of Augustino as he is the last person listed at the residence.Michael may have had other sisters.
About Luis(Luigi) FIONDA that came in Detroit, well the mother, Mrs Fionda( Concetta) also was resident in 5 Montague Hill St James, Bristol, England.. More around 1850 the Guatieri families also lived in Pietravairano(Caserta) the area are always the same....

suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
User avatar
sidtindall
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 34
Joined: 11 May 2005, 00:00
Location: Australia

Re: Guatieri Family History

Post by sidtindall »

Angelantonio Fionda married Concetta Quatieri(misspelt) in the Sept quarter of 1889 in Bristol, but I can't find any other details.
L-P Australia
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Guatieri Family History

Post by suanj »

Yes, I also found same record.. so Concetta Guatieri, born in 1867 and married in 1889 in Bristol.............hmm this means that no married in Italy... and this means that Concetta and Angelantonio Fionda could be of different birthplaces............. but always in same area.. about Augustine(Augustino or Agostino) profession: musician... all italians emigrated in UK that was musicians in reality was "Zampognari" profession .. http://www.avvento.net/images/zampognari_photo.jpg
http://www.profesnet.it/dabruzzo/tradiz ... o/la32.htm

and always the Zampognari that left in UK coming from in most part from Cassino/Caserta/Campobasso area.....

suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
User avatar
sidtindall
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 34
Joined: 11 May 2005, 00:00
Location: Australia

Re: Guatieri Family History

Post by sidtindall »

It seems that all the adults in the house in 1891 were musicians. Michele is not in the house in Bristol for the 1891 census but is there for the 1901 census. He is in London duriing 1891 and his first wife and children both died in London. He then married Ellen Tyler and had 2 children. He then moved them to Bristol. He was supposed to be studying in 1885 in London.
L-P Australia
Post Reply