I was hoping the community could provide some direction or suggestions for finding baptism records for the Palermo Cathedral (Cattedrale di Palermo). I have indication that this is where my GGF was baptized. Does anyone know if these records correspond with any of FamilySearch's online church records or which micro films one would order for a February 1890 baptism?
I am wondering if this cathedral may be identified by another name? I would also appreciate confirmation of which part of Palermo the cathedral is located. I have found the appropriate address and general information online, but am hoping others might be able to call out any ideas for further pursuit based on family attendance here. I am hoping to uncover additional family leads by looking in proximity of the cathedral. Or, perhaps in this case, that is complicated to predict because this church drew from a large surrounding area?
Thank you for any ideas or suggestions for pursuing this lead.
Palermo Cathedral (Cattedrale di Palermo)
Palermo Cathedral (Cattedrale di Palermo)
Researching Surnames:
Petrelli & Fumarola (Martina Franca); Camelio & Traniello (Gaeta); Aramini, Bruno & Guerra (Zagarise); Gusmano/Cusimano & Trapani (Corleone) and Caronna, Crisenza, Napoli & Torretta (Bisacquino)
Petrelli & Fumarola (Martina Franca); Camelio & Traniello (Gaeta); Aramini, Bruno & Guerra (Zagarise); Gusmano/Cusimano & Trapani (Corleone) and Caronna, Crisenza, Napoli & Torretta (Bisacquino)
Re: Palermo Cathedral (Cattedrale di Palermo)
The only Cattedrale di Palermo I know of is cathedral church of the Archdiocese of Palermo in Palermo
Did you ever get your records from the comune of Palermo that you were searching for I think it was a Salvatore Crisenza did you send by mail
Marty
Did you ever get your records from the comune of Palermo that you were searching for I think it was a Salvatore Crisenza did you send by mail
Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia
Marty
Marty
Re: Palermo Cathedral (Cattedrale di Palermo)
Marty,
Thank you for your response and keen memory!
I recently received documents from the US church my GGF (Andrea Alfredo Crisenza/Romano) and GGM were married in, which listed the Cattedrale di Palermo as where my GGF was baptized. I knew he was born in the Palermo area, but up to this point have not been able to narrow my search successfully.
There are a great volume of church records from the area available, but without some clues for where to look, there are too many alternatives to productively search. I have documents confirming this family in Bisacquino, Corleone as well as the Commune of Palermo. Lots of great resources to search, but too many to blindly weed through.
While I was disappointed to receive only a transcript, I was told that if there were margin notations, that those would have been included in the transcript. So I have not followed up to receive an image copy.
Both boys were likely born "Crisenza", their Mother's maiden name. For unconfirmed reasons, they both adopted the surname "Romano" at a point early in their US history.
I was lucky to confirm Salvatore's birth name, but I have no confirmation of my GGF surname other than initial immigration passenger records for my GGF.
I do know my GGF was born February 14, 1890 and baptized that month as well, so am hoping this narrows the field sufficiently to confirm these details and even lead to information about his father.
Thank you again for your continued advice and input. I welcome any suggestions.
Joe
P.S. I chanced across a response of yours to a Cusimano-related post and was initially very curious how you so quickly identified records from unindexed FamilySearch material. It looks like you are disciplined enough to record the pages indexes are within the resources, is the correct? If you have any research tips for Palermo, Bisacquino or Corleone related records, I welcome the guidance.
Thank you for your response and keen memory!
Yes, that is the church I believe might have records I am seeking. Do you know how I might access that churches information?The only Cattedrale di Palermo I know of is cathedral church of the Archdiocese of Palermo in Palermo
I recently received documents from the US church my GGF (Andrea Alfredo Crisenza/Romano) and GGM were married in, which listed the Cattedrale di Palermo as where my GGF was baptized. I knew he was born in the Palermo area, but up to this point have not been able to narrow my search successfully.
There are a great volume of church records from the area available, but without some clues for where to look, there are too many alternatives to productively search. I have documents confirming this family in Bisacquino, Corleone as well as the Commune of Palermo. Lots of great resources to search, but too many to blindly weed through.
I did request and receive Salvatore's records (my GGF's brother). I received a transcript of his birth record. Unfortunately, like the Index reference I had leading to my request, no new information was provided about his father.Did you ever get your records from the comune of Palermo that you were searching for I think it was a Salvatore Crisenza did you send by mail
While I was disappointed to receive only a transcript, I was told that if there were margin notations, that those would have been included in the transcript. So I have not followed up to receive an image copy.
Both boys were likely born "Crisenza", their Mother's maiden name. For unconfirmed reasons, they both adopted the surname "Romano" at a point early in their US history.
I was lucky to confirm Salvatore's birth name, but I have no confirmation of my GGF surname other than initial immigration passenger records for my GGF.
I do know my GGF was born February 14, 1890 and baptized that month as well, so am hoping this narrows the field sufficiently to confirm these details and even lead to information about his father.
Thank you again for your continued advice and input. I welcome any suggestions.
Joe
P.S. I chanced across a response of yours to a Cusimano-related post and was initially very curious how you so quickly identified records from unindexed FamilySearch material. It looks like you are disciplined enough to record the pages indexes are within the resources, is the correct? If you have any research tips for Palermo, Bisacquino or Corleone related records, I welcome the guidance.
Researching Surnames:
Petrelli & Fumarola (Martina Franca); Camelio & Traniello (Gaeta); Aramini, Bruno & Guerra (Zagarise); Gusmano/Cusimano & Trapani (Corleone) and Caronna, Crisenza, Napoli & Torretta (Bisacquino)
Petrelli & Fumarola (Martina Franca); Camelio & Traniello (Gaeta); Aramini, Bruno & Guerra (Zagarise); Gusmano/Cusimano & Trapani (Corleone) and Caronna, Crisenza, Napoli & Torretta (Bisacquino)
Re: Palermo Cathedral (Cattedrale di Palermo)
Can you tell me the mothers whole name and where did Andrea (1890) settle in the US and his wifes name
Most church records are indexed in front of the years you are searching they go by first name alphabetical then the surname marriage records husband first wifes maiden name they are listed by pg number
Marty
Most church records are indexed in front of the years you are searching they go by first name alphabetical then the surname marriage records husband first wifes maiden name they are listed by pg number
Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia
Marty
Marty
Re: Palermo Cathedral (Cattedrale di Palermo)
I have extensive research on my 2GGM and her family that I can share. While her father (my 3GGF), was a foundling, I was able to document and trace her mother's line back to 1750 (6GGF). The father(s) of Salvatore and Alfred (Alfredo) have escaped discovery though.adelfio wrote:Can you tell me the mothers whole name and where did Andrea (1890) settle in the US and his wifes name?
My 2GGM, Salvatore and Alfred's mother, was Marietta Calogera Crisenza, born Oct 30, 1861 in Bisacquino. Marietta, her mother, the two boys and a cousin, arrived to New York in March 1894. They lived in Harlem, New York for many years. Salvatore and Alfred both went to Columbia University, becoming a Doctor and Pharmacist. They lived in New York until moving to Rochester ~1912. Interestingly, this was due to interactions with Morello crime family! I have documentation that suggests Marietta, a mid-wife, delivered Giuseppe Morello! (What fun would this be without sharing the best stories?)
Alfred married Jenny Stamna in Sep 25, 1912 at St. Lucia's Church in Harlem, NY. (This was the source my baptism lead).
I have researched pretty far and wide, but certainly haven't found all available resource. I welcome any fresh ideas and perspective.
Joe
Researching Surnames:
Petrelli & Fumarola (Martina Franca); Camelio & Traniello (Gaeta); Aramini, Bruno & Guerra (Zagarise); Gusmano/Cusimano & Trapani (Corleone) and Caronna, Crisenza, Napoli & Torretta (Bisacquino)
Petrelli & Fumarola (Martina Franca); Camelio & Traniello (Gaeta); Aramini, Bruno & Guerra (Zagarise); Gusmano/Cusimano & Trapani (Corleone) and Caronna, Crisenza, Napoli & Torretta (Bisacquino)
Re: Palermo Cathedral (Cattedrale di Palermo)
I was doing a little looking maybe this would worth looking into Chiesa cattolica Parrocchia Cattedrale (Palermo)
PG LINK
https://familysearch.org/search/catalog ... %20Library
Marty
PG LINK
https://familysearch.org/search/catalog ... %20Library
Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia
Marty
Marty
Re: Palermo Cathedral (Cattedrale di Palermo)
I don't see baptism records covering the year I am looking for, 1890. Am I overlooking something?
Researching Surnames:
Petrelli & Fumarola (Martina Franca); Camelio & Traniello (Gaeta); Aramini, Bruno & Guerra (Zagarise); Gusmano/Cusimano & Trapani (Corleone) and Caronna, Crisenza, Napoli & Torretta (Bisacquino)
Petrelli & Fumarola (Martina Franca); Camelio & Traniello (Gaeta); Aramini, Bruno & Guerra (Zagarise); Gusmano/Cusimano & Trapani (Corleone) and Caronna, Crisenza, Napoli & Torretta (Bisacquino)

