enough info to obtain birth certificates?
Re: enough info to obtain birth certificates?
Hi Mark,
Wonderful to see that you received the information you needed. Did that information come from the National Archives or from a FOIA request filed with USCIS? Just curious.
Wonderful to see that you received the information you needed. Did that information come from the National Archives or from a FOIA request filed with USCIS? Just curious.
- GlobeTrotter
- Rookie

- Posts: 32
- Joined: 25 Apr 2005, 00:00
- Location: California
Re: enough info to obtain birth certificates?
Hi Debbie,
These papers came from the national archives. It only took about 20 days to receive the papers after I had ordered them, and the staff members were there really helpful on the phone. I just chose to get the papers this way instead of filing a FOIA because I thought less paperwork would be involved. I guess I don't need to file a FOIA because I have enough information now?
Anyway, thanks again for helping me get started with this research...it's become a lot of fun!
Mark
These papers came from the national archives. It only took about 20 days to receive the papers after I had ordered them, and the staff members were there really helpful on the phone. I just chose to get the papers this way instead of filing a FOIA because I thought less paperwork would be involved. I guess I don't need to file a FOIA because I have enough information now?
Anyway, thanks again for helping me get started with this research...it's become a lot of fun!
Mark
- GlobeTrotter
- Rookie

- Posts: 32
- Joined: 25 Apr 2005, 00:00
- Location: California
Re: enough info to obtain birth certificates?
Will it be necessary for me to order a film so that I can eventually obtain their birth certificates from Sicily? What information would I get from the film and what info do I still need? I'm just wondering. Thanks!
Mark
Mark
Re: enough info to obtain birth certificates?
Hi Mark,
Birth, marriage and death records from Italy are wonderful. I wish US records contained the same information.
Remember, due to "typical" naming patterns there can easily be several individuals with the same name. Bith records will give the name of the father and the mother (with maiden name). In Italy women never loose their maiden names. On the death record they will be listed under their maiden name, but the name of the husband and parents will be given. Check the catalog of available records at familysearch.org. I think Maria provided you with available records from one town. If there are not films available for your town, you will have to write. Get the book "Italian Genealogy Records" by Tafford Cole. It is a great resource in explaining how to use the records.
Happy researching.
Birth, marriage and death records from Italy are wonderful. I wish US records contained the same information.
Remember, due to "typical" naming patterns there can easily be several individuals with the same name. Bith records will give the name of the father and the mother (with maiden name). In Italy women never loose their maiden names. On the death record they will be listed under their maiden name, but the name of the husband and parents will be given. Check the catalog of available records at familysearch.org. I think Maria provided you with available records from one town. If there are not films available for your town, you will have to write. Get the book "Italian Genealogy Records" by Tafford Cole. It is a great resource in explaining how to use the records.
Happy researching.
- juanminbar
- Veteran

- Posts: 208
- Joined: 27 Dec 2003, 00:00
Re: enough info to obtain birth certificates?
===============================================GlobeTrotter wrote:The Naturalization papers for Giuseppe and Maria finally arrived from the archives today!!!There are nine pages total, so a lot of information. Here are some of the new facts:
Giuseppe Marchese
Date of birth: Aug. 6, 1880
Place of Birth: Mistretta, Messina, Italy
Departed from: Naples, Italy
Date of Departure: June 13, 1902
Arrived at: port of New York
Date of arrival: June 26, 1902
Name of Vessel: La Veloce
Maria Pellit(t)eri
Date of Birth: Aug. 9, 1886
===============================================
Place of Birth: Casteltermini, Italy
Departed from: Palermo, Italy
(can't find Date of Departure)
Arrived at: New York, NY
Date of arrival: Feb. 4, 1911
Name of vessel: SS Madonna
Thank you both, Debbie and Maria, for all the assistance! I am really excited but don't really know where to continue from here. Is this enough info to locate their birth certifiactes. If so, then how do I go about doing that?
Also, can somebody show me where Casteltermini and Mistretta are on the italian map?
Thank you so much!![]()
Mark
hi mark, in the scranton area there are a dozen phone listings for the name marchese.
one in particular is william marchese whose family was from old forge. both william and his wife mainitain dental offices in scranton.
he could be family. ciao juanminbar
Re: enough info to obtain birth certificates?
La Veloce Linea di Navigazione Italiana a Vapore
While looking for Giuseppe's manifest... and found out that “La Veloceâ€Â
While looking for Giuseppe's manifest... and found out that “La Veloceâ€Â
- GlobeTrotter
- Rookie

- Posts: 32
- Joined: 25 Apr 2005, 00:00
- Location: California
Re: enough info to obtain birth certificates?
Thank you Maria for that info. That is tragic about the earthquake...
Since I have the names of Giuseppe's parent and his year of birth, should I begin writing the commune (via the email you gave me) to locate his birth record?
Also, if Maria Pellitteri wasn't born until 1886, what do I need to look for in these films that don't include her year of birth?
Civil registration Film... 1820 - 1865
Census records (Rivel) from 1681 - 1811
If it's necessary that I order these, can I order them by mail/internet...if so, how?
Thanks!
Mark
Since I have the names of Giuseppe's parent and his year of birth, should I begin writing the commune (via the email you gave me) to locate his birth record?
Also, if Maria Pellitteri wasn't born until 1886, what do I need to look for in these films that don't include her year of birth?
Civil registration Film... 1820 - 1865
Census records (Rivel) from 1681 - 1811
If it's necessary that I order these, can I order them by mail/internet...if so, how?
Thanks!
Mark
Re: enough info to obtain birth certificates?
You could email... but results vary by Comune..
For Giuseppe's Birth record...
Write to:
Anagrafe Stato Civile
Comune di Mistretta,
Via Libertà249
Mistretta, Messina 98073
Sicilia, ITALY
Here is a popular link that will help you with your letters...
http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... civile.asp
--------------------------
Please read....
“Steps on obtaining microfilm from a Family History Centerâ€Â
For Giuseppe's Birth record...
Write to:
Anagrafe Stato Civile
Comune di Mistretta,
Via Libertà249
Mistretta, Messina 98073
Sicilia, ITALY
Here is a popular link that will help you with your letters...
http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... civile.asp
--------------------------
Please read....
“Steps on obtaining microfilm from a Family History Centerâ€Â
Re: enough info to obtain birth certificates?
Please note the info "juanminbar" provided above my recent posts...
You may not have noticed...
mfjp
You may not have noticed...
mfjp
- GlobeTrotter
- Rookie

- Posts: 32
- Joined: 25 Apr 2005, 00:00
- Location: California
Re: enough info to obtain birth certificates?
Hi juanminbar, are you personally from the Scranton area? Maybe you could provide me with a website or directory of Marchese listings? I will have to ask family if that dentist William might be a distant relative...thank you for that info!
Thank you Maria for refering me to juanminbar's post. I also appreciate the addresses you gave me so that I can start obtaining the birth certificates. I assume that I will have enough information to locate Marietta's in Casteltermini because I have her name and exact date of birth? We will have to see if two were born on the same day
. I have some euros left over from my trip last year...should I include some money in my first letter to the communes?
I hope it'll be okay to contact the translation forum when I receive any letters in return from either city.
Thanks again.
Mark
Thank you Maria for refering me to juanminbar's post. I also appreciate the addresses you gave me so that I can start obtaining the birth certificates. I assume that I will have enough information to locate Marietta's in Casteltermini because I have her name and exact date of birth? We will have to see if two were born on the same day
I hope it'll be okay to contact the translation forum when I receive any letters in return from either city.
Thanks again.
Mark
- juanminbar
- Veteran

- Posts: 208
- Joined: 27 Dec 2003, 00:00
Re: enough info to obtain birth certificates?
=============================================GlobeTrotter wrote:Hi juanminbar, are you personally from the Scranton area? Maybe you could provide me with a website or directory of Marchese listings? I will have to ask family if that dentist William might be a distant relative...thank you for that info!
Thank you Maria for refering me to juanminbar's post. I also appreciate the addresses you gave me so that I can start obtaining the birth certificates. I assume that I will have enough information to locate Marietta's in Casteltermini because I have her name and exact date of birth? We will have to see if two were born on the same day. I have some euros left over from my trip last year...should I include some money in my first letter to the communes?
I hope it'll be okay to contact the translation forum when I receive any letters in return from either city.
Thanks again.![]()
Mark
mark my last message to you went as a "private message". check it out.
juanminbar
Re: enough info to obtain birth certificates?
Smart manI have some euros left over from my trip last year..
Can anyone suggest??should I include some money in my first letter to the communes?
You mean for free?? Well, since you've got all those euros left....I hope it'll be okay to contact the translation forum when I receive any letters in return from either city.
mfjp
- juanminbar
- Veteran

- Posts: 208
- Joined: 27 Dec 2003, 00:00
Re: enough info to obtain birth certificates?
=============================================mfjp wrote:Smart manI have some euros left over from my trip last year..![]()
Can anyone suggest??should I include some money in my first letter to the communes?
You mean for free?? Well, since you've got all those euroI hope it'll be okay to contact the translation forum when I receive any letters in return from either city.
left....![]()
![]()
mfjp
quote]should I include some money in my first letter to the communes?[/
i would say yes. furthermore, i would send the enclosed money as a donation.
Includo, in mia lettera $5.00/$10.00 donazione.
good luck, j
- GlobeTrotter
- Rookie

- Posts: 32
- Joined: 25 Apr 2005, 00:00
- Location: California
Re: enough info to obtain birth certificates?
Great idea, juanminbar. Thank you also for the translation into Italian. I'll send out the letters as soon as possible.
I'll keep you all posted,
Mark
I'll keep you all posted,
Mark
- GlobeTrotter
- Rookie

- Posts: 32
- Joined: 25 Apr 2005, 00:00
- Location: California
Re: enough info to obtain birth certificates?
Hi, me again...
Maria, do you happen to know if there is an email for the Casteltermini commune, too? I know you gave me the one for Mistretta, thank you for that!
Another question about asking commune for certificates. On the translating website you gave me, it translates a request for a birth certificate on non-legal paper. What does this mean? To apply for citizenship at my consulate in San Francisco, it suggests the following: write to the "Comune" where your great-grandfather was born, request a birth certificate in “formato internazionaleâ€Â
Maria, do you happen to know if there is an email for the Casteltermini commune, too? I know you gave me the one for Mistretta, thank you for that!
Another question about asking commune for certificates. On the translating website you gave me, it translates a request for a birth certificate on non-legal paper. What does this mean? To apply for citizenship at my consulate in San Francisco, it suggests the following: write to the "Comune" where your great-grandfather was born, request a birth certificate in “formato internazionaleâ€Â

