Translation help with birth certificate.

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
JRosano2012
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 44
Joined: 02 Aug 2012, 22:40

Re: Translation help with birth certificate.

Post by JRosano2012 »

Ohh ok. I couldn't see it that well. Thought that it might have said Onofrio.

Could this be Antonio's birth certificate?

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... 9.jpg.html
erudita74
Master
Master
Posts: 9245
Joined: 27 Aug 2012, 20:26

Re: Translation help with birth certificate.

Post by erudita74 »

JRosano2012 wrote:Ohh ok. I couldn't see it that well. Thought that it might have said Onofrio.

Could this be Antonio's birth certificate?

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... 9.jpg.html
This record may be Antonio's birth certificate but it's still hard to say. I would be more comfortable with it if we found older children born to them with the names Francesco and Marianna. The Marianna you have born in 1897 may not have been the first one born to them with that first name. With missing years of records, it's hard to say.

I just found this death record in 1880 for their 3 year old child named Giuseppe born about 1877. So I really think their marriage record would be in one of the missing years. He died Jan 11, 1880.

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 1891225493

Erudita
Castellanocanicatti
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: 31 Dec 2013, 15:28

Re: Translation help with birth certificate.

Post by Castellanocanicatti »

I translated mine using google translate, one sentence at a time.
JRosano2012
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 44
Joined: 02 Aug 2012, 22:40

Re: Translation help with birth certificate.

Post by JRosano2012 »

From research I have done on Ancestry and talking to family, I know that Antonio and Serafina had 2 other children that were born before these.

Antonio Rosano Born: 15 Sep 1879 in Palermiti, Catanzaro, Italy
Francesco Rosano Born: 13 Dec 1881 in Palermiti, Catanzaro, Italy

I haven't been able to confirm these with birth certificates and I am not sure if they were the only first borns. My grandfather's sister was helping me with this. She insisted that her dad was only a sibling of 4: Antonio, Francesco, Rosa, and himself (Giovanni). When I received a call from some person claiming we might be related, I brought it to her attention and told her the story. She emphatically denied it and then stopped sharing information with me. Thats when I started looking deeper and found all these other children.

I saved a bunch of birth and death records that I found on Rosano's. I think they are the right people. I will post them.
erudita74
Master
Master
Posts: 9245
Joined: 27 Aug 2012, 20:26

Re: Translation help with birth certificate.

Post by erudita74 »

Going on the assumption that the birth record you located for Antonio is the correct one-I found a death record for the mother listed in that record -Marianna Misdea

She died on March 5, 1897 (record #9). She was the widow of Antonio Rosano` at the time of her death. The one informant on the record is Antonio, age 41. She was the daughter of dec Antonio Misdea and Rosa Truglia. She was age 73.

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 1891225493

(image 1798 of 1982).

I also found a death record for the father in the birth record of the Serafina Macrillo` we found. Domenico Macrillo`died on March 7, 1884 and was age 59. He was the son of deceased Giuseppe Macrillo` and dec Caterina Servideo. Husband of Rosa De Marco.
Image 1594 of 1982

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 1891225493


Can't help but wonder if this is where the first name Giuseppe came for three of their children.

Erudita
JRosano2012
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 44
Joined: 02 Aug 2012, 22:40

Re: Translation help with birth certificate.

Post by JRosano2012 »

Birth Records...

Maria Caterina....1884

Image

Rosa Rosano 1886 – 1962

Image

Giuseppe Rosano 1888 – 1889

Image

Vito Rosano 1889 – 1890

Image

Caterina Rosano 1891 –

Image

Guiseppe Rosano 1894 –

Image

Giovanni Rosano 1896 – 1953

Image

Marianna Rosano

Image
JRosano2012
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 44
Joined: 02 Aug 2012, 22:40

Re: Translation help with birth certificate.

Post by JRosano2012 »

Out of curiosity, does this one say who the parents are? I think this might be my great-grandmothers family. (My GGrandfather - Giovanni Rosano 1896 and my GGrandmother - Maria Rosa 1900 are believed to be first cousins). I attached her record too.

Maria Rosa 1900-1963

Image

Giovanni Pasquale

Image
User avatar
liviomoreno
Master
Master
Posts: 7116
Joined: 13 Feb 2004, 00:00
Location: Rome, Italy
Contact:

Re: Translation help with birth certificate.

Post by liviomoreno »

Giovanni Pasquale and Maria Rosa seem to be siblings
Maria Rosa was born to Pasquale Rosanò, aged 22, and to Caterina Gallello on Oct 6 1900
Giovanni Pasquale was born to Pasquale Rosanò, son of the late Giovanni, and to Caterina Gallello, daughter of Giuseppe, on Sep 17 1904
JRosano2012
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 44
Joined: 02 Aug 2012, 22:40

Re: Translation help with birth certificate.

Post by JRosano2012 »

liviomoreno wrote:Giovanni Pasquale and Maria Rosa seem to be siblings
Maria Rosa was born to Pasquale Rosanò, aged 22, and to Caterina Gallello on Oct 6 1900
Giovanni Pasquale was born to Pasquale Rosanò, son of the late Giovanni, and to Caterina Gallello, daughter of Giuseppe, on Sep 17 1904
Ahh, ok. Glad I saved his record. Thank you!
JRosano2012
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 44
Joined: 02 Aug 2012, 22:40

Re: Translation help with birth certificate.

Post by JRosano2012 »

Erudita....

Here are the death records I found. Hopefully they give a clue into Antonio and Serafina...

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
erudita74
Master
Master
Posts: 9245
Joined: 27 Aug 2012, 20:26

Re: Translation help with birth certificate.

Post by erudita74 »

I don't see any info in any of the children's death records which would help get you more info on Antonio and Serafina. Also there is nothing in any of them about him being in America when any of the deaths occurred (but, see below-info from 1906 marriage record of daughter Rosa).

You should search for the marriage records of the sons Antonio and Francesco since you can't locate their birth records online. Not sure those would give you more info about Antonio and Serafina, but you just never know.

Erudita

Edit: additional info

I can't do much more with this today, as we are going to friends shortly to celebrate the holiday.

Anyway, in working backwards with the marriage records from 1910- so far I found three of the children's marriages which you may have already seen.

The last one -on Dec 22, 1910 for Caterina, age 19 (image 1425 of 1982) indicates that both parents were still alive and residents of the town. So death records for Antonio and Serafina would definitely be after 1910 and not online.

The daughter Maria Caterina, age 22, married on Feb 7, 1907 (image 1383 of 1982). No additional info about Antonio and Serafina.

The daughter Rosa married on Feb, 1906 (image 1373 of 1982). In this record, Serafina appeared with a mandate from her husband giving both of their consents to the marriage. This record specifically gives his place of residence as America.

That's all I have time to do today. I would keep going backwards searching for the children's marriage records, if you haven't already done so. I was hoping to get the name of Serafina's father in one of them, but no luck with the above three records. Hopefully that info appears in one of the other children's marriage records.

Erudita
JRosano2012
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 44
Joined: 02 Aug 2012, 22:40

Re: Translation help with birth certificate.

Post by JRosano2012 »

Erudita...

Thank you so much for all of your help!! Have a wonderful new years!!!

Johnny
erudita74
Master
Master
Posts: 9245
Joined: 27 Aug 2012, 20:26

Re: Translation help with birth certificate.

Post by erudita74 »

JRosano2012 wrote:Erudita...

Thank you so much for all of your help!! Have a wonderful new years!!!

Johnny

Happy New Year to you too, Johnny.
I found a number of the children's marriage records, which you probably have already seen. In addition to the three I previously found, I saw Antonio Rosano' who married on same day as his sister Rosa on Feb 4, 1906.(his record image 1372 of 1982). His father Antonio was a resident in America at the time. On Francesco's April 26, 1902 record, image 1325 of 1982, Serafina appeared alone to give her consent to the marriage, yet that record states that Antonio (the father) was a resident in Palermiti. I see on his 1900 passenger list that he was in the U.S. in 1897, 1899, and 1900. Also on daughter Rosa's April 10, 1911 Ellis Island passenger list (she was traveling with her brother Giovanni and her 9 month old daughter), their nearest relative in Palermiti was Serafina Marcrillo`. Also on the passenger list for Rosie Rosano' on June 6, 1912, her mother Serafina in Palermiti was her nearest relative in the country from where she came. So we know that Serafina was still alive as of June 6, 1912. Just trying to narrow down her death date, so that maybe we can get info directly from the town itself. If you find any other family members on passenger lists after June 1912, let me know. Unfortunately, Serafina's father's first name is not given in any of her children's marriage records.

Erudita
JRosano2012
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 44
Joined: 02 Aug 2012, 22:40

Re: Translation help with birth certificate.

Post by JRosano2012 »

We must be thinking alike. I just finished going through the marriage records and saved every Rosano I could find. That way I could look back and would have the others in case related some how.

In terms of the marriage record you found on Antonio, I must have missed Serafina's name because I was under the impression that his wife was Mary M Mersello. This very well have could have been a mistake or maybe the woman on this record passed away and he remarried.

However, on Francesco.... I couldn't quite make out the spelling of his wife's name but on a later U.S. record I found, her name was Rose Sanzie. (Could have been Americanized). I will try to find that record.

But both of their ages seem to correspond with the year of births that I have. So I am sure it is them.

In terms of the passenger lists....From what I was told by my Grandfathers sister, Antonio (the father) and the 4 siblings (Antonio, Francesco, Rosa, and Giovanni) came to America around that time. Apparently some went back to serve in the Italian Army and then came back to America. Giovanni and his wife Maria Rosa Rosano came to America after getting married in 1918. How much of this is true I am not sure. It seems like she is hiding stuff from me.

I did see the record where Rosa, her 9 month old daughter, and Giovanni came over. If I remember correctly, it said that she was going to her husband Thomas Emanuello. That is true, I have confirmed that was her husband.

I will see if I come across any other relatives on passenger lists after 1912. I am also in the process of going through all the death records to see if I find any more of the children.

Johnny
erudita74
Master
Master
Posts: 9245
Joined: 27 Aug 2012, 20:26

Re: Translation help with birth certificate.

Post by erudita74 »

about Francesco's wife-

in the marriage record, her name is Maria Rosa Sanso Marra

On his passenger list-it is Rosa Sanray or Sanzay-which I think is just a bad misspelling of Sanso, so I believe it is the same person.

Erudita
Post Reply