Searching for a birth record

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Post Reply
User avatar
TinaB
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 38
Joined: 07 Jul 2005, 00:00
Location: Australia

Searching for a birth record

Post by TinaB »

[align=justify] Can someone help me? I have my gr gr grandfathers name and his father's name. I have an approximate year of birth and a possible place/places of birth. How do I go about getting his birht certificate? I also have the same for my gr gr grandmothers as well. My gr gr grandfather is Dominico Valente born approx 1851 - 1852. His father was Antonio Valente. Came from the San Peitro Infine or Montecassino area. My gr gr grandmother was Theresa Capitano born approx 1864. Her father was Francesco Capitano. Came from the San Peitro Infine Area also. I do not speak or write any italian. Can someone help me? Thanks heaps. Tina :?
User avatar
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 1302
Joined: 06 Oct 2003, 00:00

Re: Searching for a birth record

Post by VaDeb »

All records in Italy are in the town (comune) of origin. You have to identify the town.

Check if the towns you need are available on microfilm and you can look for the records your self. Use the place search to see if the comune has been filmed.

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... t_fhlc.asp

Here is a post by Trish that explains how to use these records:
http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/inde ... pic&t=2581
User avatar
TinaB
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 38
Joined: 07 Jul 2005, 00:00
Location: Australia

Re: Searching for a birth record

Post by TinaB »

Thank you for your advice. I will try but I do not think I will have much luck as I have tried before. Will try again you never know.
User avatar
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 1302
Joined: 06 Oct 2003, 00:00

Re: Searching for a birth record

Post by VaDeb »

Does that mean you have ordered film for the village and looked for the birth record? Were you unable to read the records? Please be more specific about what "I will try but I do not think I will have much luck as I have tried before. Will try again you never know. " means.
User avatar
TinaB
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 38
Joined: 07 Jul 2005, 00:00
Location: Australia

Re: Searching for a birth record

Post by TinaB »

[align=justify]Sorry for not making myself very clear. There is not very many LDS around my area. I know of one who does hold and can get records so I will try there again. Work comittments and the opening times of the church seem to be a problem. I have printed of the link you gave me. I will try again. I also understand that the records are also in Italian - this may be a problem also as I do not speak, read or write Italian. I do however have a dictonary that may help. Could I call on your if I need help? With Kindest Regards

Tina[/align]
User avatar
TinaB
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 38
Joined: 07 Jul 2005, 00:00
Location: Australia

Re: Searching for a birth record

Post by TinaB »

I have tried but there seems to be no records for the San Peitro Infine area. I will keep looking. Thanks for all your help.

With Kindest Regards
Tina
User avatar
mfjp
Master
Master
Posts: 2211
Joined: 13 Aug 2004, 00:00
Contact:

Re: Searching for a birth record

Post by mfjp »

Call a regular book library as some do carry LDS film.

I have tried but there seems to be no records for the San Peitro Infine area. I will keep looking. Thanks for all your help.
Please note spelling of San "Pietro..."

Registri dello stato civile, 1809-1902  San Pietro Infine (Caserta). Ufficio dello stato civile (lucky you!!) those are great years to research from....

Could this be the same town you are looking for?

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... umns=*,0,0

For town info
http://en.comuni-italiani.it/061/079/index.html

Hope this is the one...

mfjp
wldspirit
Staff
Staff
Posts: 5606
Joined: 17 Nov 2004, 00:00
Location: U.S.A.
Contact:

Re: Searching for a birth record

Post by wldspirit »

The lds provides research guidance on a variety of topics
related to genealogy research. The following is a link to terms
commonly used in Italian records. You should find these helpful
in reading the microfilms.

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/ ... Italia.ASP

wldspirit
User avatar
TinaB
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 38
Joined: 07 Jul 2005, 00:00
Location: Australia

Re: Searching for a birth record

Post by TinaB »

Thank you all for your help. I will try what you have suggested. I will let you know how I get on. Again, thank you.
With Kindest Regards

Tina
Post Reply