Translation help with birth certificate.

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
JRosano2012
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 44
Joined: 02 Aug 2012, 22:40

Re: Translation help with birth certificate.

Post by JRosano2012 »

Hi Erudita,

Okay, so it is the same person. Out of curiosity, are you saying you found a passenger record on Francesco and his wife?

I went through all of the death certificates and don't seem to find anymore on the children. It seems we have also found the marriage certificates. A long while back I heard about a document called "state di famiglia". Do you think that would help us with learning more about the family, in particular the mother?

I'm not sure if it's easier for you to check here, but as an option, I would be happy to give you my e-mail address if that works easier.

On a small side note, I was wondering if you knew much about Naples. That is where my grandmother was from and still I have not been able to obtain a copy of her birth certificate. I think she was from Barra. Is that a town in Naples? She was possibly born in 1926. I wasn't sure if you might have any information on how I might be able to request a copy of her birth certificate. Believe it or not, I know A lot less on her family then I do my grandfathers family. Was just curious and thought I'd throw that out there.
erudita74
Master
Master
Posts: 9245
Joined: 27 Aug 2012, 20:26

Re: Translation help with birth certificate.

Post by erudita74 »

JRosano2012 wrote:Hi Erudita,

Okay, so it is the same person. Out of curiosity, are you saying you found a passenger record on Francesco and his wife?

I went through all of the death certificates and don't seem to find anymore on the children. It seems we have also found the marriage certificates. A long while back I heard about a document called "state di famiglia". Do you think that would help us with learning more about the family, in particular the mother?

I'm not sure if it's easier for you to check here, but as an option, I would be happy to give you my e-mail address if that works easier.

On a small side note, I was wondering if you knew much about Naples. That is where my grandmother was from and still I have not been able to obtain a copy of her birth certificate. I think she was from Barra. Is that a town in Naples? She was possibly born in 1926. I wasn't sure if you might have any information on how I might be able to request a copy of her birth certificate. Believe it or not, I know A lot less on her family then I do my grandfathers family. Was just curious and thought I'd throw that out there.

Johnny,
As to the passenger list for Francesco, I only found him arriving in 1909. At the time of his arrival, his wife was his nearest relative in the country from where he came (she was in Italy). I haven't found any passenger list with her on it.

I have never sent for a stato di famiglia certificate, but I know there is a lot of work involved for a town to put one together and you may not get it, particularly this time of year when I understand town offices are also involved in preparing for upcoming Spring elections. Since you probably have all of the children,I am thinking a better approach for now would be to try to get marriage info for Antonio and Serafina, as we can really narrow down the year of their marriage now. I would also want the names of both sets of parents confirmed. I have found in the past that missing years of records does not mean that a town does not still have the information.

I am not familiar with any towns in Naples Province, or any of the districts or neighborhoods in the city of Naples itself. I have never had reason to do any research in that area. I did, however, find an address in the yellow pages, and you might want to write to it to see if you can get any info about these other relatives you mention. There aren't any microfilmed records for this area.

UFFICIO ANAGRAFE E STATO CIVILE
305, Corso Sirena
80147 Barra (NA)
Italia
tel: 081 7950403

To write in Italian, you can refer to the following websites:

http://www.circolocalabrese.org/genealo ... -index.asp

http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... tters.html

Erudita
erudita74
Master
Master
Posts: 9245
Joined: 27 Aug 2012, 20:26

Re: Translation help with birth certificate.

Post by erudita74 »

Johnny

I'm sending you a private message with the email I think we should send to Palermiti.

Erudita
Post Reply