Adoption records

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Post Reply
amelia
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: 04 Apr 2014, 11:06
Location: australia

Adoption records

Post by amelia »

I would like to know whether it is possible to find the real parents of my father.
He was adopted in 1928, a few months after he was born. Perhaps in Palermo.
My father did want to find his parents but when he went to the courts at the age of 18, he was too afraid and declined to know who they were at that time.
Many years ago he asked me to find out. I went to the records dept in Palermo but they would not tell me.
Is it possible to find the real names of his parents and what is the best way?
I know the surname left by his birth mother.
He was adopted in Palermo but has a medallion that appears to read RIETI. Does this mean he was initially in Rieti, the small town?
User avatar
Italysearcher
Master
Master
Posts: 3470
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 19:58
Location: Sora, Italy
Contact:

Re: Adoption records

Post by Italysearcher »

Maybe it will help to understand the process here in Italy. If he was abandoned, he would have been given a invented surname and named by the town officials. His original birth record would contain details of any items found with him which allow his birth mother to reclaim him later. The medallion could mean anything. Rieti is a place but it is also a surname. It may simply have been something she had that would allow her to identify him later.
If he was legally adopted, this information would have been recorded on his original birth record. If he was simply fostered to one or a variety of persons this information is not recorded.
You should start by requesting a photocopy of the original birth record. They probably won't want to provide it but you have a right to it. If your father is still alive then the request should be in his name and a copy of some photo ID should be included.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
amelia
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: 04 Apr 2014, 11:06
Location: australia

Re: Adoption records

Post by amelia »

Hi Ann, I sent a message but it didn't seem to save, so if you get this twice, I apologise.
Firstly i wanted to thank you for your response. I also was fascinated by the many articles you have written. I have certainly been enlightened by these articles. It also has made me more determined to find out more about my father's family and their history.

I will look into getting his birth certificate.
The 2 medallions that were given to my father were 1 with the inscription of Palermo and the number 16, the other with the writing "Cappella della Maddalena, Fonte Colombo - Rieti.with a picture of an old building ( which I have found on the net ) I was wondering what this place was in 1928.
Also was it common practice for adoptive kids to be given the opportunity to go to court to find the names of their real parents. This opportunity was given to my father at the age of 12 and 18. He was too young at the age of 12 and 18 I think his pride forced him to decline knowing , much to his regret in latter years.

Also was it common to be born in a hospital in those days

Also who do i contact to get a copy of his birth and perhaps his baptismal certificate?
I have been told that he was adopted but if he wasn't and was fostered , wouldn't there be records of a money trail, if so how and who do i contact to find out this information
ponzom2@yahoo.com
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: 25 Dec 2024, 18:07

Re: Adoption records

Post by ponzom2@yahoo.com »

I am looking for adoption records from Salemi, Trapani, Sicily. My cousins grandfather, Ignazio Corradino, was born on August 30, 1897. I have located the birth record which shows his name at birth to be Ignazio Calore with "parenti ignoti" - parents unknown. Not sure why the surname Calore was used. He was later adopted by his new parents - Salvatore Corradino and Marianna Idalo. I assume the adoption took place after their marriage in 1903. Is there a way to locate the adoption record
Post Reply