Any comments are greatly appreciated. Here is my situation
GF came from Italy in 1906 and naturalized in 1911
GM came from Italy in 1912, married GF in 1914. I see on a census record that she is a naturalized citizen through marriage.
My father was born in 1923.
GM died July 1948
I'm born 1957
Do I qualify for dual citizenship?
Also, in case it is relevant. GM's mother and father came to US and didn't naturalize.
Jure Sanguinis for granddaughter
Re: Jure Sanguinis for granddaughter
Unfortunately, you do not qualify through your gf. The citizenship line was broken with your grandfather's naturalization. Even if your father was born before your grandfather's naturalization, you would likely have had a 1912 issue.
However, since your gm naturalized through marriage, you may be able to qualify through her. This, however would require a lawsuit in Italy.
However, since your gm naturalized through marriage, you may be able to qualify through her. This, however would require a lawsuit in Italy.
Re: Jure Sanguinis for granddaughter
Thank you for your response. I'm not sure I'm willing to proceed with a lawsuit. I will have to think carefully about it. It is nice to know I have options.
Re: Jure Sanguinis for granddaughter
It's not at all difficult, but it may be more costly. Check out the 1948 thread at www.italiancitizenship.freeforums.org

