Wives of Francesco Sormanti
-
Amansolillo
- Elite

- Posts: 254
- Joined: 25 Aug 2011, 21:03
- Location: Rhode Island
Wives of Francesco Sormanti
My great-great-grandfather was Francesco Sormanti. He immigrated from Ceprano to Rhode Island in 1907. His wife, Angela Cocuzzoli, died in 1916 in Rhode Island. I've been able to find the 1910, 1920, and 1940 censuses of Francesco, but not the 1930 census. However, I found a 1930 census of a Frank Sormanti married to a Pasqualina Gentile who had been previously married. Pasqualina and her children do not appear with Francesco in the 1940 census. The reason why I am confused is because to my knowledge, divorce was not permitted in Italy in the time Francesco lived there and I am certain that he would abide to customs that he had grown up with for 40 years. Additionally, I found a 1917 marriage record for a Francesco Sormanti and a Filomena Possimato (whose last name is from a previous marriage). However, this Filomena does not appear with Francesco in the 1920 census and later remarries and dies in 1940. Again, I find it unlikely that Francesco divorced Pasqualina and Filomena. Francesco died in 1950 and his obituary only lists Angela Cocuzzoli as being his wife. Sormanti is not a common Italian last name, especially in Rhode Island (it's to my knowledge that all of the Sormantis in Rhode Island are descended from Francesco), so it is very unlikely that the Francesco Sormanti married to Pasqualina Gentile and the Francesco Sormanti married to Filomena are different Francescos. I would appreciate it if anyone could share any ideas as to whether or not these Francescos are one in the same and if so, why he seemingly divorced from Pasqualina and Filomena.
Towns of interest: Panni, Itri, Ceprano, Pontecorvo, Prata Sannita, Canicattini Bagni
-
Amansolillo
- Elite

- Posts: 254
- Joined: 25 Aug 2011, 21:03
- Location: Rhode Island
Re: Wives of Francesco Sormanti
Since this post, I have resolved the Pasqualina Gentile issue. Could somebody help me out with the Filomena issue? Thanks.
Towns of interest: Panni, Itri, Ceprano, Pontecorvo, Prata Sannita, Canicattini Bagni
-
nedskip2018
- Newbie

- Posts: 2
- Joined: 08 Jul 2024, 23:07
Re: Wives of Francesco Sormanti
Hello Amansollilo
I'm researching for my friend Frank Carbone, who happens to be Francesco Sormanti's grandson. In my research I have found (from your Ancestry Tree) that he was married three times. I did find a Rhode Island marriage record for Francesco and Filomena Posamato on 18 Aug 1917. Here's the citation:
"Rhode Island, U.S., Marriage Registrations 1853-1922," marriage of Francesco Sormanti and Filomena (Filini) Possimalo on 18 August 1917, on-line database, Ancestry.com (https://www.ancestry.com : accessed 8 July 2024), pg. 157.
I'm wondering how you've found so many Italian records from Ceprano. Can you tell me the source on how you found them? I need source citations in my research and you have a wealth of actual images but sadly, no source info.
I cannot find any such record of Francesco's marriage to Pasqualina other than your tree
I have been unable to find any record of the two divorces either. Anything you can provide would be helpful
I have sent you queries through Ancestry also
Thanks
Ned Stewart
I'm researching for my friend Frank Carbone, who happens to be Francesco Sormanti's grandson. In my research I have found (from your Ancestry Tree) that he was married three times. I did find a Rhode Island marriage record for Francesco and Filomena Posamato on 18 Aug 1917. Here's the citation:
"Rhode Island, U.S., Marriage Registrations 1853-1922," marriage of Francesco Sormanti and Filomena (Filini) Possimalo on 18 August 1917, on-line database, Ancestry.com (https://www.ancestry.com : accessed 8 July 2024), pg. 157.
I'm wondering how you've found so many Italian records from Ceprano. Can you tell me the source on how you found them? I need source citations in my research and you have a wealth of actual images but sadly, no source info.
I cannot find any such record of Francesco's marriage to Pasqualina other than your tree
I have been unable to find any record of the two divorces either. Anything you can provide would be helpful
I have sent you queries through Ancestry also
Thanks
Ned Stewart