Vito-> William?; Buttafuoco?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
BlissIs
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 78
Joined: 08 Feb 2014, 22:55

Re: Vito-> William?; Buttafuoco?

Post by BlissIs »

Okay, appreciate generosity if you and LDS.

First and foremost, Josephine and Antonino's years of birth were inscribed and will be mailed to me as early as Monday morning.

Memory issues are one of the many impairments from scattered stretched and broken brain fibers so I hadn't recognized microfilm you had asked about until I googled to an old entry here last night we're not looking for anyone who had married a Lanzarone in Italy..

I do not have any idea what Josephibe's first and middle names were, only that Josephine Antoinette are Americanized versions.

Also a family tale about a Vito Favara having been shot on a balcony protesting Mussolini, was married to a Vincenza or Vincenzina or some variant Agnello or Agniello. This was thought to be perhaps an Uncle one some such ancestor of Josephine.

I'm pretty confident I had located her brother, Leonardo Favara by tracking from their mutual uncle, per passenger records.

Leonardo Favara, born Castelvetrano 17 Aug 1879, died NYC Dec 1966, last residence Suffolk County, NY. He lived in Cleveland, OH with his wife, Josephine, before returning to NYC. In my experience one cannot lean on public family trees for accuracy. There's family story there was a sister Catie (sp?) of whom I've found nothing.

Attempting to use great Sicilian naming practices to gather parentage, let me share some details.

Josephine and Antonino's second known daughter and son were named JEAN and ANTHONY, JR..
Leonardo and Josephine's known first daughter and son: VINCENZINA and VITO, per naturalization.

Oh my gosh, Ben at this for a few hours. Attempted review of 3/4" stack of notes I haddiligently gathering when injury occurred over 9 months ago. I am not certain Leonardo has been located. Sorry.

Gotta stop now.
[/b]Searching Surnames: Favara Lanzarone Agnello Bonagiuso Zummo Perfumo Consoli Maggio LaRussa Buttafuoco Consoli Montegari Mineo
Locations: Brooklyn NY, Castelvetrano, Santa Margherita de Belice, Milano, Hoboken NJ, Akron OH, Massapequa NY
carubia
Master
Master
Posts: 1152
Joined: 25 Jan 2011, 12:13
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: Vito-> William?; Buttafuoco?

Post by carubia »

I placed an order for 3 film rolls for Castelvetrano births, covering 1875 to 1899 or so. I also ordered 2 rolls of marriage records from 1900 to 1910 for someone else's search. I'll let you know when they arrive. By then we can figure out what I'm looking for.

If anyone else is looking for a record from Castelvetrano from those years, please let me know.
BlissIs
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 78
Joined: 08 Feb 2014, 22:55

Re: Vito-> William?; Buttafuoco?

Post by BlissIs »

Thank you very much.
[/b]Searching Surnames: Favara Lanzarone Agnello Bonagiuso Zummo Perfumo Consoli Maggio LaRussa Buttafuoco Consoli Montegari Mineo
Locations: Brooklyn NY, Castelvetrano, Santa Margherita de Belice, Milano, Hoboken NJ, Akron OH, Massapequa NY
carubia
Master
Master
Posts: 1152
Joined: 25 Jan 2011, 12:13
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: Vito-> William?; Buttafuoco?

Post by carubia »

The Castelvetrano rolls of film arrived at my local FHC and I'll look at next weekend. Remind me, what records am I looking for?
carubia
Master
Master
Posts: 1152
Joined: 25 Jan 2011, 12:13
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: Vito-> William?; Buttafuoco?

Post by carubia »

I looked through Castelvetrano births between 1875 and 1890 and have some results for you.

Leonardo Favara was indeed born on 17 Aug 1879. His parents were Vito Favara (age 36) and Vincenza Agnello. So if he was Josephine's brother then her parents were Vito and Vincenza, not her uncle and aunt. The names of his parents match the names of his oldest children, in accordance with Italian tradition.

I found birth records for other children of Vito and Vincenza. The had a son Giuseppe Favara in Castelvetrano on 17 Jan 1883. In that record Vito's age was 39. They also probably had a daughter Caterina in 1876, but I didn't view the record (it's #586).

Finally, Vito and Vincenza had a daughter Giuseppa on 29 Aug 1888. I believe she is your Josephine. There was no other Giuseppa Favara, or other child for this couple, born between 1875 and 1890.

I have scanned images of Giuseppa, Leonardo, and Giuseppe's birth records, but they're too large to upload here. If you give me an email address via PM I can send them to you. Or someone can tell me how to post 6MB files to the forum.
carubia
Master
Master
Posts: 1152
Joined: 25 Jan 2011, 12:13
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: Vito-> William?; Buttafuoco?

Post by carubia »

I edited the previous post, but the correction was not posted due to board maintenance. There actually was another Giuseppa Favara born in 1890, to 30-year-old Antonino Favara and Rosalia C. (I couldn't make out her surname). If Leonardo was not the sister of Josephine then maybe this other Giuseppa was she.
Post Reply