Campobasso

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
JohnArmellino
Master
Master
Posts: 697
Joined: 09 Jun 2003, 00:00
Location: West New York (NJ)
Contact:

Re: Campobasso

Post by JohnArmellino »

I found the birth records of both Giovanni Mastrangelo and Sperantina Brunetti tonight at the FHC.

Giovannantonio Mastrangelo, son of Gennaro Mastrangelo, age 30, contadino, and Eufrasina Mastrangelo, was born 22 JUN 1898 in Oratino. Source: Oratino (Campobasso). Ufficio dello Stato Civile, Registri dello Stato Civile, 1809-1910, FHL INTL Film 1761635/NATI 1898/Parte I/Numero 45, 25 JUN 1898.

Sperantina Brunetti, daughter of Michele Brunetti, age 37, contadino, and Loreta Tirabasso, was born 20 OCT 1898 in Oratino. Source: Oratino (Campobasso). Ufficio dello Stato Civile, Registri dello Stato Civile, 1809-1910, FHL INTL Film 1761635/NATI 1898/Parte I/Numero 71, 21 OCT 1898.

Marginalia on both records indicate that Giovannantonio and Sperantina were married 20 AUG 1916 in Oratino.

Loreta Tirabasso was the daughter of Giovanni Tirabasso and Sperantina Macoretta. I don't have this marriage in my database. The surname Macoretta is not indigenous to Oratino. It's often found in Castropignano and, to a lesser extent, Campobasso. I suspect that Giovanni and Sperantina were married outside of Oratino. I'll check the pubblicazioni records next Tuesday and hopefully fill out that branch of the family tree. Then I'll send you Ahnentafel and Pedigree Charts.
John Armellino
User avatar
aliapel
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: 17 Mar 2010, 01:04

Re: Campobasso

Post by aliapel »

You are a wealth of information! I'll have to see what my brother-in-law knows. I found family members on ancestry and the ship's manifests all say they are from Rionera, compobasso, but like you said this was late 1800's early 1900's. Thanks for your help.
User avatar
AussieJohn
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: 02 Apr 2010, 05:08
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Campobasso

Post by AussieJohn »

JohnArmellino wrote:My family is from the Province of Campobasso, principally the Comune of Campobasso, but also Busso, Casacalenda, Ferrazzano, Montagano, Oratino, and Ripalimosani. I'm researching the following surnames:

Researching in Montagano: Iannaccio.

I am interested in exchanging information with anyone who is also doing research in the Campobasso area or who is interested in any of the surnames listed above.

Hi JohnArmellino,

My mother's parents are from Montagano and have the surname Iannaccio. I've been told it's a reasonably common surname in that town but I was hoping you might have found some information on those that we are related to. My grandfather's name was Giovanni Iannaccio and he was born in 1902. My grandmother's name was Maria Rosina (her maiden name was Caterina) she was born in 1910 and they married in 1929. I'd love to know if you've been able to find anything in your research, so I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

AussieJohn
User avatar
aliapel
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: 17 Mar 2010, 01:04

Re: Campobasso

Post by aliapel »

Hi John, I wondered if u may still be sending me the pedigree charts you mentioned on the families from Oratino we discussed?
JohnArmellino
Master
Master
Posts: 697
Joined: 09 Jun 2003, 00:00
Location: West New York (NJ)
Contact:

Re: Campobasso

Post by JohnArmellino »

Hi John, I wondered if u may still be sending me the pedigree charts you mentioned on the families from Oratino we discussed?
I just sent the charts. Sorry for the delay and thanks for reminding me. Let me know if you get them and if they open up okay.
John Armellino
JohnArmellino
Master
Master
Posts: 697
Joined: 09 Jun 2003, 00:00
Location: West New York (NJ)
Contact:

Re: Campobasso

Post by JohnArmellino »

AussieJohn

My 7GGM was Giovanna Iannaccio, who was born in Montagano circa 1686. She was married to Periteo Petti of Oratino and that line continued in that comune. My cousin Dante Gentile Lorusso researched the notary records and found this Montagano connection to our Petti lineage. I haven't personally worked with the Montagano records yet and I would have to make the connection from 1686 to the civil records before I can start. I don't know if church records are available for Montagano. However the civil records should be of help to you. They have been filmed by the LDS for the years 1809-1910. Go here for the film details

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library ... umns=*,0,0

These films can be viewed at the Family History Center located worldwide. You can find the one closest to you at www.familysearch.org. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
John Armellino
User avatar
AussieJohn
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: 02 Apr 2010, 05:08
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Campobasso

Post by AussieJohn »

Hi John,

Thanks for your reply, I'm amazed that records go back so far for such a small town. I'll try and get to a Family History Center to see if I can learn more, thanks for your suggestions.

Regards,

AussieJohn
User avatar
Giaro21
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: 03 Apr 2010, 12:23

Re: Campobasso

Post by Giaro21 »

My great grandmother was Zelinda Mucci from Campobasso province...born abt 1847 and migrated to the US in 1908 with her husband Francesco Foschini and daughter Elizabetta. Zelinda was married to surname Valenti (Valente ?) and widowed. Foschini was her 2nd husband.
JohnArmellino
Master
Master
Posts: 697
Joined: 09 Jun 2003, 00:00
Location: West New York (NJ)
Contact:

Re: Campobasso

Post by JohnArmellino »

Giaro21 - You need to locate the comune where your great grandparents originated, since all records are kept by the comune. The surname Valente is widely dispersed throughout Molise. However, the surnames Mucci and Foschini/o are both found in only three towns in Molise today: Campobasso, Termoli, and Santa Croce di Magliano. The first two are larger towns, 50,000 and 30,000 inhabitants respectively. Santa Croce di Magliano has only 5,000 residents. I would look there first; if you don't find them there, at least you've eliminated that town. The civil records for Santa Croce di Magliano have been filmed by the LDS and can be rented and viewed at their Family History Centers. Go to www.familysearch.org for the film details and the location of the nearest FHC.
John Armellino
User avatar
Giaro21
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: 03 Apr 2010, 12:23

Re: Campobasso

Post by Giaro21 »

Hi John,

They are from the town of Sepino. It seems to be very small..approx 2100 people. Would I contact that town for information or are the documents centralized?

Thanks so much for your help and info you've given me.

Linda
JohnArmellino
Master
Master
Posts: 697
Joined: 09 Jun 2003, 00:00
Location: West New York (NJ)
Contact:

Re: Campobasso

Post by JohnArmellino »

Linda

The civil records for Sepino 1809-1910 have also been filmed by the LDS. To view the film details, follow this link:

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library ... umns=*,0,0

You can also find the nearest Family History Center at that website.
John Armellino
Antonio
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: 11 May 2015, 15:48
Location: USA Connecticut

Re: Campobasso

Post by Antonio »

I am looking for relatives on my grandfather Antonio Iannaccio , Montagano. I do have document & information of his parents and when he died. My grandmother came to the US her two sons.(My father Albert Dominic Iannaccio his brother John Iannaccio. I have located relatives on my grandmother side in Montagano I am planning to visit them in July.

I am not at home now where all the documents and information is. I will be more thank happy to share this if your interested. If you like i can share my e mail and forward the documents to you.
Thank you
Antonio
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: 11 May 2015, 15:48
Location: USA Connecticut

Re: Campobasso

Post by Antonio »

Hi John I am new at this sight. I am trying to locate living relatives on my grandfathers
(Albert Iannaccio) side of the family from Montagano . I do have documents showing information of his parents name and birth ,marriage and death. I did locate living relatives on my grandmothers side of the family. My grandmother maned name was Assunta Sarcone.
I am planning to visit them in July.
Any information you can help me with is greatly appreciated. If you like to share e mails let me know.
Thank you
conno11
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 75
Joined: 13 Oct 2014, 17:26

Re: Campobasso

Post by conno11 »

Hi my family is from the town Vinchiaturo (outside) Campobasso
JohnArmellino
Master
Master
Posts: 697
Joined: 09 Jun 2003, 00:00
Location: West New York (NJ)
Contact:

Re: Campobasso

Post by JohnArmellino »

@Antonio

Is this your grandfather?:

Sisto Albino Costantino Iannaccio
Padre : Giuseppenicola Iannaccio
Madre : Crocifissa Iannitto
Comune/Località : Montagano, Campobasso, Italia
Data : 01 Jan 1887
Tipologia di Atto : Nascite

Your grandmother?:

Francesca Maria Assunta Sarcone
Padre : Nicolamaria Sarcone
Madre : Libera Galuppo
Comune/Località : Montagano, Campobasso, Italia
Data : 03 Jan 1888
Tipologia di Atto : Nascite

The civil records for Montagano have been posted online by the Italian National Archives. Go to the link below to search these records:

http://antenati.san.beniculturali.it/

Follow the link for archivi di stato, then Archivio di Stato di Campobasso. The records are broken down into three sections:
  • Stato civile napoleonico
    Stato civile della restaurazione
    Stato civile italiano
Each section is broken down by comune.

BTW, my 7GGM was Giovanna Iannaccio of Montagano, born circa 1685, wife of Periteo Petti. They raised their family in the comune of Oratino.
John Armellino
Post Reply