Help with Writing/Requesting Records from Italy

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Post Reply
skooter555
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 43
Joined: 20 Apr 2013, 23:49

Help with Writing/Requesting Records from Italy

Post by skooter555 »

Hi,

I have been researching my Italian family roots for the past two and a half years. Over the course of this time, I have uncovered a substantial amount of genealogical information on my ancestors through the use of the microfilmed stato civile records provided by the FHL and its affiliate research centers. After exhausting the readily available records, I have decided to write to the local civil registration office (Ufficio di Stato Civile) to obtain several documents from various years whose records have not been microfilmed. Before doing so, however, I was hoping that someone would be able to help answer several questions that I have. They are as follows:

1) When writing to the Ufficio di Stato Civile, is it true that one cannot obtain a photocopy of the original record but rather it will be in the form of a certificate or extract? If a photocopy of the record cannot be obtained here, would it be possible to obtain a photocopy from the duplicates that are held at the provincial state archives?

2) When a reply is received from the Ufficio di Stato Civile, does anyone know by chance around the ballpark of how much they will charge per requested document? In the book I have read (Italian Genealogical Records: How to Use Italian Civil, Ecclesiastical, and Other Records in Family History Research) it states that one may be charged up to 10,000 lire per document. Being that Italy switched from using the Lira to the Euro as currency and being as this particular book was written in 1995, I wonder if this is an accurate value today.

3) Does anyone know of an efficient and reasonably priced way to pay for the documents using Italy's currency? Is there a service that allows one to convert the U.S. dollar into the Euro?

If any of these questions could be answered then it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time,
Tyler Radtke
User avatar
adelfio
Master
Master
Posts: 9334
Joined: 27 Oct 2010, 13:47
Location: Chicago

Re: Help with Writing/Requesting Records from Italy

Post by adelfio »

Send no money when requesting records from the Ufficio di Stato Civile
Tyler are you talking about Bagheria records?
Before 1820 you would have to go to the church records have you gone through the Family History Library microfilms Registri dello stato civile di Bagheria (Palermo), 1820-1903 and the Registri ecclesiastici di Palermo (Palermo), 1449-1894 which contains following parishes : Villabate, Bagheria, Ciaculli, Conte Federico, Falsomiele, Maredolce, Mezzomonreale, Pallavicino, Sferracavallo, Zisa. Indexes for these records follow the indexes for the cathedral parish.

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
skooter555
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 43
Joined: 20 Apr 2013, 23:49

Re: Help with Writing/Requesting Records from Italy

Post by skooter555 »

Hi Marty,

Thank you for getting back to me. Yes, I am referencing records from the village of Bagheria in Palermo. In particular, I have been wanting to obtain the marriage records for two sets of my third great grandparents as I currently am unable to determine the names of their parents and progress a further generation back. The records are as follows:

Giovambattista Tripoli & Cristina Mineo (married between 1860 and 1864 as calculated from the birth records of their children)

Domenico La Rosa & Rosa Bologna (married between 1849 and 1865 based on other records)

Unfortunately, the most probable range of years that these marriage records would most likely fall under (1862-1865) is not covered by the available microfilms of the Stato Civile for Bagheria. I guess my question now would be, would you recommend writing to the Ufficio di Stato Civile to obtain these records or try searching the parish records first? The only issue that I would have with pursuing the church records is that in the FHL catalog for Bagheria there are more than a few microfilms that cover the same range of years. For instance there is a microfilm for baptisms, marriages, and deaths from 1859-1862, one from 1863-1865, one from 1855-1864, and one from 1864-1866. I am not sure why this would be, but any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks again,
Tyler Radtke
User avatar
adelfio
Master
Master
Posts: 9334
Joined: 27 Oct 2010, 13:47
Location: Chicago

Re: Help with Writing/Requesting Records from Italy

Post by adelfio »

Try looking up their death records or the marriage records of their children see if Giovambattista Tripoli & Cristina Mineo or Domenico La Rosa & Rosa Bologna are dead at the time of the marriage it will say fu in front of their name then go back and look through the marriage allegati for their death record for parents names

Death record of Cristina Mineo (from the marriage allegati of Salvatore Tripoli and Antonia La Rosa)

1868 Mar 8th in Bagheria death of Cristina Mineo age 21(1847) born in Bagheria daughter of Gioachino Mineo wife of Giovambattista Tripoli

PG LINK TO DEATH RECORD
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,353555902

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
skooter555
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 43
Joined: 20 Apr 2013, 23:49

Re: Help with Writing/Requesting Records from Italy

Post by skooter555 »

Hi Marty,

Thank you again!

Tyler
Del Slosek
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: 27 Jul 2020, 08:29

Re: Help with Writing/Requesting Records from Italy

Post by Del Slosek »

I've found invaluable assistance with writing and requesting records from Italy through various channels, but nothing beats the efficiency and reliability of a dedicated website. You can visit this link which provided comprehensive guidance, simplifying the process and ensuring accurate submissions. The website's user-friendly interface streamlined my search, offering templates and tips tailored to my specific needs. With this https://www.reddit.com/user/NJMCDirectportal link, I accessed a wealth of resources, from translation services to sample letters, making my endeavor remarkably straightforward. Thanks to this website, navigating bureaucratic procedures felt like a breeze, and I'm grateful for the invaluable support it provided in preserving and accessing vital records.
Post Reply