Does anyone know where I can get information regarding an Italian POW who was stationed in Africa during WW2? My cousin said our grandfather, Ernesto Salvati was held as a POW for about 3 years. Ernestos daughter would like to know if its possible to get any info about this.
If this is too vague a question, please ask me what information you need to answer this and I will try to supply it.
Thanks
Nuccia
POW Information
Re: POW Information
Nuccianuccia wrote:Does anyone know where I can get information regarding an Italian POW who was stationed in Africa during WW2? My cousin said our grandfather, Ernesto Salvati was held as a POW for about 3 years. Ernestos daughter would like to know if its possible to get any info about this.
If this is too vague a question, please ask me what information you need to answer this and I will try to supply it.
Thanks
Nuccia
give us all the infos you have about Ernesto Salvati!
You should request his "foglio matricolare" to Archivio di Stato or Distretto Militare of the province he was born.
There you find a record saying that he was "catturato" (captured)
You can ask also information to
Archivio di Stato Centrale
Piazzale degli Archivi, 27
00144 Roma
Italy
acs@archivi.beniculturali.it
here there is a forum about POW in Africa
http://www.gasthof-thoerner.de/phpBB2/v ... 0fd8b1238e
I hope it helps, bye Riccardo
Re: POW Information
Hi Riccardo. Thank you for the information. I read it this morning, but know better next time not to. Thought about it all day!
This is what I know about Ernesto.
Ernesto Salvati son of Emilio Salvati and Raffaela Napolitano.
Born: June 20, 1906 in Malito,(I believe), Cosenza, Italy
Died: January 8, 1975 in Yonkers, New York
He married Erminia Salvati of Malito on February 19, 1930
They had three children, Emilio born Oct 1930, Raffaela born 1931 and Perina who was born in 1949 when he came back from th war.
I requested a translation of a document on another post and know he was in the war in Africa in 1942 already. So, sometime between 1942 and 1948 is when I assume he went missing.
I hope you can help me with this limited information I have provided and I will check out the web site you gave.
Thanks again,
Nuccia
This is what I know about Ernesto.
Ernesto Salvati son of Emilio Salvati and Raffaela Napolitano.
Born: June 20, 1906 in Malito,(I believe), Cosenza, Italy
Died: January 8, 1975 in Yonkers, New York
He married Erminia Salvati of Malito on February 19, 1930
They had three children, Emilio born Oct 1930, Raffaela born 1931 and Perina who was born in 1949 when he came back from th war.
I requested a translation of a document on another post and know he was in the war in Africa in 1942 already. So, sometime between 1942 and 1948 is when I assume he went missing.
I hope you can help me with this limited information I have provided and I will check out the web site you gave.
Thanks again,
Nuccia
Re: POW Information
I found an Ernesto Salvati on Ellis Island, it says he was born in Patrica!nuccia wrote:Hi Riccardo. Thank you for the information. I read it this morning, but know better next time not to. Thought about it all day!
This is what I know about Ernesto.
Ernesto Salvati son of Emilio Salvati and Raffaela Napolitano.
Born: June 20, 1906 in Malito,(I believe), Cosenza, Italy
Died: January 8, 1975 in Yonkers, New York
He married Erminia Salvati of Malito on February 19, 1930
They had three children, Emilio born Oct 1930, Raffaela born 1931 and Perina who was born in 1949 when he came back from th war.
I requested a translation of a document on another post and know he was in the war in Africa in 1942 already. So, sometime between 1942 and 1948 is when I assume he went missing.
I hope you can help me with this limited information I have provided and I will check out the web site you gave.
Thanks again,
Nuccia
Is it he?
http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 0473%2ETIF
First of all be sure where he was born!
If you think he was born in Malito, so request the copy of his birth act of the birth certificate writing to:
Comune
Ufficio di Stato Civile
Contrada Cona, 2
87030 Malito (CS)
Italy
or the copy of birth act to (you can also request there a copy of "Ufficio di leva" - military draft record)
Archivio di Stato
Via Miceli, 67/79
87100 Cosenza
Italy
After that you can request his military record to:
Distretto Militare
Via Pascali, 40
88100 CATANZARO
Italy
When you receive the military record, scan the document, and lets see what is written on it....
I hope it helps, bye Riccardo
Re: POW Information
I don't think this is the same Ernesto. The year of birth is close but the mother and siblings are not the same.
When I request his military records, is there a standard letter to use? Can I request in English? Is there a fee, and if so, you you know how much? Also, do I need to send Identification of myself to prove I'm related?
I'd like to mail for it today. Thanks for offerring to look it over once I get it.
Nuccia
When I request his military records, is there a standard letter to use? Can I request in English? Is there a fee, and if so, you you know how much? Also, do I need to send Identification of myself to prove I'm related?
I'd like to mail for it today. Thanks for offerring to look it over once I get it.
Nuccia
Re: POW Information
I suggest you to write in Italian, to put in the envelope an international coupon as a stamp for the answer (buy it to nearest U.S. post office) and attach to the request a photocopy of your ID, just to let them know who is requesting the military record,nuccia wrote:I don't think this is the same Ernesto. The year of birth is close but the mother and siblings are not the same.
When I request his military records, is there a standard letter to use? Can I request in English? Is there a fee, and if so, you you know how much? Also, do I need to send Identification of myself to prove I'm related?
I'd like to mail for it today. Thanks for offerring to look it over once I get it.
Nuccia
bye Riccardo
Re: POW Information
Thanks Riccardo! I'll do that today. I just have to call someone to help write the request in Italian..
I'll get back to you if I hear anything!!
Nuccia
I'll get back to you if I hear anything!!
Nuccia


